1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. Shouen Rakukojin

Shouen Rakukojin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You might want to look a few posts back. The odds of this getting updated for 1.0 are rather slim. As much as we all want to see it updated, doing so is a daunting task (as I said before in an earlier post, looking over the contents of the script files makes my head spin) and if he wants to update it, he will. Until then all we can do is be patient and let him go at his own pace.

Edit: tried doing some research (via the Starbound Modding ebook) to see if I could maybe at least get this playable as a means of helping out, but nope. Head's spinning even worse x.X I might try to use my old method of using an existing race as a base to work off of and tinker with it as I go along. We'll see. Just don't anybody get your hopes up, I have VERY LIMITED free time these days and staring at these files for hours is not my idea of enjoying that time. (Like anyone else, I prefer to play the game, not spend lots of time trying to make it work).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    The Beryl Man and Quilavabom like this.
  2. vamayro

vamayro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh boyo. I seem I'm a bit late here. Either way, it's a little past 7 30am here, and I'm tippity typing away for whatever reason. Not quite sure now, I came here and found pretty much what I was looking for. Up all night? Don't matter, time to make a forum post.

Now honestly I don't spend my time a lot on forums just aren't my cup'a tea, not anymore anyway. But when the time comes to dig for info, it's the perfect place to look. I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed to hear that, because honestly it was probably my favorite mod back when it released; still is if I'm being honest. But it's not like it's beyond understanding. Other things in life come first, and modding takes a lot of time, and a lot of effort. Been there done that. That being said, I'll be watching, and hoping to see it make 1.0 when and if you do decide get back to work on things. (There's a lot to keep an eye on since the full release hit.)

And I'd offer my help, I really would. But it's been a rather long time since I've been involved in a modding community, and my modding days are a bit behind me- probably. Took a look into the modding basics and some of the more advanced bit required for modding in Starbound, and while it's not beyond me there is quite a bit there, and I just don't want to have to go through and learn how to create mods for one more game- not that it hasn't been enticing as of recently. But it does take quite a bit of time, and that's just something I don't have a lot more of. Maybe I'll get around to learning it in a few months, maybe in a few weeks, maybe never. Depends on where life goes and such, free time, and etc. You know how it goes.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Any hue, best of luck to yuh.

The Beryl Man likes this.
  3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I've got it to the point that it's playable (ship is there, species is there, clothes and some armor are there, food is there)... but I'm not happy with it. I think it's the armor sprites. I tell ya, those hips are difficult to work with.

4. vamayro

vamayro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Progress is progress, so it's great to hear that much. I could see where the hips might cause some problems there too. Granted they use a similar base, for comparison - The Avali armors / clothes don't tend to overlap the hips completely save for the combat gear. The cloak & Trench Coat don't exactly overlap, but rather cover up the hips. It could have potentially been troublesome to work with for even the creator of the Avali mod. That would explain why most of the armors there tend to avoid those hips or cover them, of course the design choices he had in mind for the clothes could just be coincidence. It's hard to say really.

5. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

He considers spriting clothes to be a pain. Even so, it was probably just serendipitous that it happened that way for him: to put it tamely, avali anatomy makes pants as a means of dignity preservation unnecessary. They also have stiff tails that don't tolderate bending very well, so that kind of makes pants a no-go.

Kineptic, on the other hand, have semiprehensile tails and are mammals, so they need and have the ability to wear pants. I've designed a few different concepts ranging from double slipknot belts to tail sleeves, but translating that to the sprite always results in a waistline that is too small for the hips. Makes it look like the pants are too big and are being held up by nothing.

6. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Would you say they're...

Held up by magic?

7. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I was going to, but decided not to. >w<

Jareix Cryvix and The Beryl Man like this.
  8. valavaern

valavaern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As an alternate stop-gap... would you consider releasing a version of the mod with just the tiles, spells, and furniture?

9. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

There's a slight possibility something somewhat along those lines may or may not be in the works... but that's just a rumor. No breaths should be held, for that would result in asphyxiation and unwarranted (and undesired) hype.

10. ThirtyUp

ThirtyUp Void-Bound Voyager

I wondered why the kineptic had such prominent hips to the point of needing MC Hammer pants. Have you considered, if you can't cover them, incorporating them? Instead of trying to make the hips work with armor, try designing some armor that gives them that "dignity preservation" you talked about earlier without the strain of having to cover the hips. Perhaps some of the cultural designs are temple-guard themed; loincloths or other types of cloths that leave the hips free and are designed to be functionally lose but combat practical. Considering they wear a lot of midriff-baring clothing, it might fit the theme of desert/tropical climate lore as well. It may also remove the problem of the narrowness of the waistlines, as certain types of clothes are designed to be held up by wider hips. Then it would feel less like "held up by nothing."

I'm not usually a pragmatic person, but I figured if I'm actually monitoring this mod I might as well contribute something :rofl:

Quilavabom likes this.
  11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

It's also rumored that racial armor is being worked on, and that the realization was made that it may not be that the hips are too wide, but that the waist is too narrow.

Pff, okay, dropping the pretense. Long story short, I was working on the t6s armor, which is rather bulky in relation to the other clothing sets, and it doesn't seem to have the hip problem.

But the really real reason they have such wide hips is because I used Ryu's body sprites and wanted the kineptic to be able to wear avali clothes and vice versa, like the vanilla races have interchangeable clothes. Now that I've given the kineptic arms that move while they run, I guess that concept is out the window anyway. But I really don't wanna mess with the sprites I've already got done right now. Or ever. I guess the leg clothes would still be interchangeable, though.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  12. ThirtyUp

ThirtyUp Void-Bound Voyager

Look on the bright side; the Kineptic are the only race in StarBound that can legitimately say they can eat all the human food they want and still maintain a 32/24/36 figure (though, for the males, I'm not sure of that's an embarrassing or impressive chest/waist/hip ratio).

RedYoshikira likes this.
  13. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Sprites in game are not representative of actual proportions. Can you imagine humans having proportions the same as those in game? :p

RedYoshikira likes this.
  14. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

As somebody who has been wanting a species of playable cats for her game (ones that clearly AREN'T humans with cat features, like the other mods out there) can I just say that I hope you get all the problems straightened out sometime soon? I've tried making one of my own but I'm not that great with json editing, haha.

The Beryl Man and Quilavabom like this.
  15. Switchlock

Switchlock Void-Bound Voyager

Hi. I love this mod, though I have missed it since 1.0. I see from other comments you're hitting a bit of a block though; do you have anyone to bounce ideas with? I'd be willing to volunteer.

16. Switchlock

Switchlock Void-Bound Voyager

Er... I guess that's what this discussion board is for... Well, whatever. I do have a few ideas regarding magic attacks. But, they're probably moot, and too hard to program while you're busy working with other things.

17. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Oh, believe me: I have no shortage of ideas when it comes to module attacks and such. The primary block is time. Spriting doesn't come naturally for me (nor do I particularly enjoy it), and what I really want to have done is the tiered armors which are arguably the most sprite-intensive and time-consuming part of the mod. Compared to this, spriting the ship was easy. I can use the abilities the devs provided to throw together some attacks, but I can't do that with armors.

Like this:
    kinepticteaser.gif

That armor took me days to do. That staff took me maybe a few hours.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  18. BlueLeafeon

Yeah, there's no shortage of weapon abilities to use.

That is an adorable pet. I want one!

19. valavaern

valavaern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Too late, already holding it! :rofl:
    Kidding~

On a different note... I understand the want to create the different visual tiers of armor... but I think copying the Avali approach of having the 'invisible' armor piece (necklace, bracelets & such) have the actual stats, and leave the visible clothing as just glamour, work perfectly fine before, and, in my opinion, fit better with the Kineptic's magical theme. I felt more like wizard protecting myself with enchanted jewelry that projects a force field around me, than I do strapping on bulky armor.

The only thing i would recommend creating new sprites for would be racial variants of the EPPs and light packs. Maybe glowing crystals that float around behind you for the lantern on a stick / xenon pack, and for the EPPs, just a faint transparent bubble around you.

If you ever got around to it, I think Kineptic could get a lot of flavor and mileage out of having a full set of 'magical' spears to use as melee weapons. A lot of the spear special abilities, like Barrier, Blink Explosion, Energy Whirl, and Rocket Spear, feel right at home coming out of what is, essentially, a wizard's staff with a dagger glued to the end of it. ^_-

20. BlueLeafeon

Honestly, seeing as how they're magical and all, I'd say robes and the like would work well as armor. We can just say that magic makes it increase your defense even though there's no logical reason for it to.

I'd enjoy spriting things more in SB if clothing wasn't split into so many dang parts. x_x Hard to get a grip of where things are.