Kelp no longer drops Saplings

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by PyreStarite, Jun 15, 2017.

1. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I noticed this when I was trying to find recipes that use raw fish. As it turns out, when you have to make a few laps going from the hylotl city to the hylotl ruin on the other side of the planet and you shoot every fish on the way, you get a lot of meat. When scrolling through what was available, I noticed a few recipes that use kelp as an ingredient like say Rice Cakes but each usually takes up 5 entire kelp units. A bit much for a single rice cake but whatever. I ran out of kelp so I backtracked to the ocean world I got it from. I don't remember getting saplings or replanting, but when I knocked over a few kelp "trees" I noticed they didn't drop saplings at all. Now, I can kinda almost get this change, but don't. I think the combination of both expensive recipes and no saplings make kelp a commodity it shouldn't be. Spamming say rice cakes will eat through your kelp supply and the average kelp tree provides a modest 5-20 kelp units. With such a high requirement, oceans will be stripped of their kelp forests to mass produce rice cakes until there is none left, which can be really really bad on an online server.

The recipes are too expensive for an item that is nonrenewable. My suggestion is either tone down the kelp requirements in the recipes or give the kelp trees saplings again.

~Love Pyre

Exilyth and STCW262 like this.
  2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The kelp saplings should come back, and Kelp should get new uses, such as a kelp-related furniture set.

3. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Being able to break up the monotony of Coralcreep/Reefpod farms with kelp would be nice.

Slightly related: Did the glowshrooms ever drop seeds in a previous version?

4. PyreStarite

No. Glowshrooms nor Oshrooms ever dropped seeds, but once upon a time Oshrooms did drop as furniture items.

5. PyreStarite

While exploring the ocean floor of a toxic planet, I discovered Kelp trees that still dropped their saplings. I can do more testing later do see if it follows all the way through.

6. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, you get really rad looking kelp from toxic ocean floors. Purple, pink, and orange are ones I've found. The saplings work perfectly on land, creating towers of colourful leafy kelp.
    I love it so much, I don't mind the normal kelp being absent!