Modding Help Keeping the inventory locked in one spot.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Wazupmaster, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Wazupmaster

Wazupmaster Phantasmal Quasar

Hello all, today I started working on a mod that would keep the inventory at the bottom of your screen all the time. I've already uploaded a version of it here, however, there are some problems I'd love some help with, because I can't figure them out.

Problem is the fact that, despite having playerinventory.config set the inventory to positionLocked true and anchored at the CenterBottom, whenever you open something (like a chest, or ship locker) the inventory jumps to the center of the screen, like where it would be if my mod weren't installed. Then you can't move it back, and opening and closing the inventory does nothing either. Is there any way to fix this, too?

Thanks in advance if any of you can help.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Wazupmaster

Hours later and I still can't fix the second issue... I feel like I'm skimming over the solution every time I check a config file :confused:

3. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Wait, how did you edit the HUD. I am interested.

4. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe move the close button to where it's unaccessable?

5. Wazupmaster

Just edited the inventorygui.png (or whatever it is) and messed with the positioning and dimensions of the inventory slots and such in playerinventory.config.

But the close button is inaccessible, it closes when you press the "I" key though.

6. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

I am interested in the theory behind this too, albeit for different reasons. However, a thought has come to me...

So key bindings are becoming a thing, right? -- When that lands, combine three methods:
    • Hide the close button, as you have done.
    • Edit the key bindings settings file and set the inventory button to nothing.
    • Edit what will be the key bindings menu to hide the part where the inventory key can be set.
    So far, I have't found a way to disable key functionality. And I have looked a fair bit for it. :(

edit: Bah. Of course, options are found in the OS-specific folders. Gah. They really need an "enabled:" flag for the config files.

7. Wazupmaster

Would that not prevent them from opening the inventory in the first place, though?

8. ejh1990

Ah, I see. I misinterpreted your post then. Derp.

I thought you wanted it permanently showing and locked. Apologies.

9. Wazupmaster

Oh no, that is what I would like! But, as far as I know, there's no way to make them start the game with it open. So to get it open, they would have to press a button to open it at least once. But it wouldn't work if the keybinding was disabled.

10. ejh1990

Oh. Double-derp, haha. :rofl:

Hm, you do have a point there. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen any way to default to open for a dialogue yet. I would say interface modding could really do with being made more open. :(

11. Wazupmaster

Yeah, I agree :( Ah, well, on the subreddit Tiy said he will probably make this inventory option a reality anyway, and I'm sure he can do a much better job of it than I can!