Modding Discussion Kantai Collection Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Machy, May 2, 2016.

1. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Alright so I've been playing starbound since it was first released on early access all that long time ago, and a couple of days I decided it might be fun to try modding it. So I watched a few videos on youtube but they were all about making a pickaxe and tbh there aren't that many tutorial videos whatsoever - and they're all from 2 years ago.

In the end I chose; maybe foolishly, to just try and fight my own way with modding. So I looked in the game files, and decided to make a Kantai Collection mod.

So as for the forum format of this thread, I'll be editing the part below with updates and posting said updates as individual posts in the thread. That way no updates get lost, but you won't have to scroll through random people's messages to get the newest additions as it'll be right here in post 1. :rofl:

Furthermore, I'll put a link to all updates here so you won't need to sift for any of them, simply click each box to go to the update post. :)
    [1], [2],

8th of May, 2016.

It has been a half dozen days and most of this was spent getting the race to actually work, but now it does, and I've made a few edits for the first minute or two of the game.
    Oh and by the way, the ship texture is very WIP, I can't say I'm proud of the bridge section in particular. :rofl:
    08-05-2016 Progress 3.png
    As for the AI, I've made no steps towards it but my new thinking is that it'd be nice for it to be the Admiral. To that end, I've done some changes to the gender system of the Kanmusu Race.

First off, for the 'females' they are the Japanese ships only, the Kanmusu if you will. I have now added each and every name to the database including the newest ships such as Kamikaze. They also have Kongou's face as their icon now, which is nice. Oh and they no longer have random ship class tags, instead they have personality tags so you can end up with 'Cool Beauty Hyuuga' as shown below:
    08-05-2016 Progress 1.png

As for the 'males' they are now all the other ships. Oh and their gender icon is 4 nation flags, the 'females' being the flag for Japan. I've added America, Italy and the USSR, though I felt like I couldn't really add in a Nazi Swastika so substituted in a Union Flag in hope for a future British Ship girl being added to KanColle.
    As with the 'females' they also have their first name as a personality trait and the second as their ship name, both are random. So we can see the 'Kamidere Prinz Eugen' shown below. :D
    08-05-2016 Progress 2.png

Anyhow, that's all for today. Next update might be a long way off but I'll keep you posted if I do manage to make enough for an update.

Feel free to post below with any comments, questions or whatever. =D

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Skelozard1 likes this.
  2. thienthanhevent

thienthanhevent Intergalactic Tourist

good game. i like it. thanks so much.

3. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

I noticed there was another mod based on KanColle which focussed on the ship girls as ingame animated objects, but it's shut down now unfortunately due to Iowa being added as a Kanmusu. Anyhow, I know this is a long way off being anything ready for other people to play but I hope to make it a good and fun mod in the future.
    :nuruwink:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. Sayo Harugawa

Sayo Harugawa Subatomic Cosmonaut

Heh, not bad BUTTT!!! We're going to make fashion not just from static kanmusu. We have big plans for our events, we speculated conceived every day. Everything rests on the time and experience in working with the mod.

5. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

But you said the mod was closed forever? :rofl:

6. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Right I'm done for today, here's the latest update:

2nd of May, 2016.

Thus far, I haven't done too much, I'll be honest.
    I have started work on creating the Kanmusu race, which is an odd name because I've made the male gender the admiral. So far I have made the random names for both genders, for the admirals this is just a fore name of a character type and a surname of Admiral. Eg. Tsundere Admiral.
    For the Kanmusu, this is a forename of their ship class code identification, and a surname of a random ship. So far I've only added the DD's, cause my goodness there are so many ships in Kancolle. And example of the random name for these would be SS Kikuzuki.
    Finally, I have added in a custom skirt, top and hair style for Kongou. For the hairstyle the hair changes colours like normal and the gold headset thingy is actually her underwear - or at least it changes with the undy colour on the character creator. For the skirt and boots the entire set changes colour as normal, and for the top the golden rope and white robe are constant, the shirt colour merely changes the red underlay around her forearms.
    02-05-2016 Progress 1.png
    [Note]: I have used the "Simple Extended Character Creation Mod" link here: Link here.
    [Note 2]: The top - including sleeves it ready ingame. The skirt is available ingame too, but so far only has a texture for the idle poses. ;)
    [Note 3]: Here's a screenie of a human Yuudachi cosplaying in the Kongou Outfit. Link!

As normal, feel free to comment about this in this thread. :D

7. Sayo Harugawa

Sayo Harugawa Subatomic Cosmonaut

8. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Well, if every you want to join the mods together just let me know in a PM. 'Til then I don't really see an issue with us both creating separate mods based around the same KanColle fandom, especially because we're both focussing on different areas and come from different continents. I'm sure people would love to use both of them together but for the time being I'm fine with developing them as different mods.
    :nurucool::nuruhappy::nuruwink:

9. Garde-Noir

Garde-Noir Aquatic Astronaut

You've got me interested.

am of very attention will continue to support

10. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

I've currently almost finished the race actually working, but I'm having some technical issues with them spawning into a new world.
    Anyway, the main topic of this post will be timing. Between now and June the 18th I'm not expecting to do that much due to exams and whatnot, but I will do a bit in my spare time. And also until the 1.0 release version of starbound arrives I'm not going to release it, as it feels to me like that update will come pretty soon and I'll have to fix many errors with the mod before then. However between 1.0 being released and early September I'll try and make this a small but functional mod which everyone loves and can download.
    This may not be the case if something I can't currently think of happens, such as 1.0 not coming out until late August or something, or my parents winning the lottery and taking me on a month long holiday around the world, but I'll keep you guys updated. :D

11. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

2nd update coming right up.

8th of May, 2016.

It has been a half dozen days and most of this was spent getting the race to actually work, but now it does, and I've made a few edits for the first minute or two of the game.
    Oh and by the way, the ship texture is very WIP, I can't say I'm proud of the bridge section in particular. :rofl:
    08-05-2016 Progress 3.png
    As for the AI, I've made no steps towards it but my new thinking is that it'd be nice for it to be the Admiral. To that end, I've done some changes to the gender system of the Kanmusu Race.

First off, for the 'females' they are the Japanese ships only, the Kanmusu if you will. I have now added each and every name to the database including the newest ships such as Kamikaze. They also have Kongou's face as their icon now, which is nice. Oh and they no longer have random ship class tags, instead they have personality tags so you can end up with 'Cool Beauty Hyuuga' as shown below:
    08-05-2016 Progress 1.png

As for the 'males' they are now all the other ships. Oh and their gender icon is 4 nation flags, the 'females' being the flag for Japan. I've added America, Italy and the USSR, though I felt like I couldn't really add in a Nazi Swastika so substituted in a Union Flag in hope for a future British Ship girl being added to KanColle.
    As with the 'females' they also have their first name as a personality trait and the second as their ship name, both are random. So we can see the 'Kamidere Prinz Eugen' shown below. :D
    08-05-2016 Progress 2.png

Anyhow, that's all for today. Next update might be a long way off but I'll keep you posted if I do manage to make enough for an update.

12. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Psst, I just couldn't resist, so here's a spoiler for the next update. :nuruflirt:
    Iowa-Starbound-Example2.png
    See if you can guess the Shipgirl, first one gets a virtual cookie.

13. Garde-Noir

Garde-Noir Aquatic Astronaut

What is Iowa?

14. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

*Passes a virtual cookie to them.*
    Freshly baked by Hiei, I hope you like it.

15. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

Hey there got a couple questions:

are you planning on making the rigs as weapons ?

also, will the recruitable NPCs be presets of the browser game or randomised ?

and finally, will you rework the body types/sprites later down the line or will you just borrow the body type of the ningen race ?

looking forward to see what happens with this

16. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Sorry for being a bit late getting back to you, I'm in the middle of exams period atm. :rofl:

I was planning to have lower tier weapons as Destroyer Guns and the higher tier ones as Cruiser and Battleship cannons. 2 handed rifles will be Torpedo launchers probably and bows will be like the carriers and fire planes. So they'll be like the Novakid without any melée weapons.

I haven't thought about NPC's at all yet whatsoever, but I imagine they'll be random.

I've already varied the body sprite a bit so that the heads are 1 pixel higher and can have proper anime-style eyes.
    Hiei-Starbound-Example.png
    I'll also edit the colour properties on the entire body at some point so that I get a proper tanline for Submarines sorted out, but that'll be quite a long way into the future.
    Also I have no idea what the ningen race are, but the template I've used for everything so far is just the bog-standard human race.

17. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

Well about the whole ningen race thing you can find it here:

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/ningen-reboot.3398/

so thats that if you're curious about it

Finally something I might have forgotten to mention, but are planning anything like making Techs for this race ?

Like a water-skating tech or a a sort of advanced form of swimming thats just plain better/superior to the standard ?

and don't sweat the late answer....

18. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker

Atm I'm very new to JSON and am not even looking into scripting with LUA yet, but in the future I might do. Techs like being able to utilise water for travel like Kanmusu do in the anime or whatever would be very cool so I'll keep that in mind if ever I'm able to code that sort of thing.

19. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

If I recall correctly, most people who want to reference WWII Germany but want to avoid 'muh ebil nahtzee swastikas' use either the German Empire's black, white, and red flag or the Wehrmacht cross.

20. Machy

Machy Space Spelunker