1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kangaru Race v0.5A

Kangaruus are abound!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiuki

Hiuki Pangalactic Porcupine

make a copy of the universe folder, then try removing the existing universe file(s). if that doesn't work, remove everything in the universe folder and it'll generate a new universe and load in the new planet generation options from the mod. (had to do this for my mod) if for some reason it breaks just place the copy of the old universe back in.

2. espilonarge

espilonarge Big Damn Hero

Sorry to everyone who's been waiting for an update. I just need to make a few things clear though about why there has been a delay with the next update.

Firstly, I moved in to a new house around March last year and because of this, I'm still personally trying to adjust to living in a new area much less a new place while dealing with personal conditions such as my disabilities and adapting to a new lifestyle. My motivation is still in limbo at the moment which has made progress on just about anything "slow" and that's why there's been a major delay in updating the mod.

Second, regarding all updates with Starbound, especially with the unstable and nightly builds, the code keeps changing which brings with it new bugs, new code and new features that I need to account for. Many of the features I want to add and/or do are not currently possible (such as boomerangs that "work" without sloppy coding) and some bugs in the game have hindered progress which I can't fix personally (Starbound's main theme overlaps all intro themes at the time I last worked on the mod). I have yet to check the current stable build as I've been focused on other things at the current time and simply have not had a chance to sit down to go over what's been updated.

Third, I'm sorry that I haven't been adding anything lore based or made changes to other specific features (namely things like the ship and new armor/weapons). The process can be time consuming while trying to create new content, sometimes it can even be tidius and frustrating due to complications (I now have a new machine and it does sometimes have its moments). While I am an artist at heart, I can't just whip out new pictures every two seconds as I personally get driven nuts when push-comes-to-shove or people keep distracting me while I'm trying to work. I want to make stuff that people can enjoy but even I have my own limit with how much progress I can accomplish while under pressure. I want people to understand that while I know many of you who like or love this mod want more updates and contents, I can only do so much before I "break" and I would like people to try and be patient until I'm ready to release an update.

As always, if you have any issues with bugs/glitches/abnormalities or suggestions you might like to see added to the mod (within reason of course), please post here. If you need to submit a bug report, you can provide logs either here or on http://pastebin.com/ and I'll deal with it as soon as possible.

PS - As soon as I comb over the issues with the current stable build, I will upload a new compatibility update. There currently isn't any new contents ready but hopefully I'll have it back up-and-running for those who want the race back in their game.

Kirvis and Hiuki like this.
  3. espilonarge

Update regarding the Kangaru mod!

I know some people are awaiting for an update to be released to make the mod compatible, however I (like a handful of others after researching the forums) have hit a serious snag regarding merchants.

Code:
    Info: Action 'enableTrading' in 'merchant' broke: [string "/scripts/actions/merchant.lua"]:6: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
    Essentially this "game-breaking" bug is breaking merchants for mods. When attempting to interact with a merchant, it will just say it's "ending" dialog without bringing up the merchant window. When checking the starbound.log, it shows that Starbound is spiting out that error message stated above non-stop.

At first I thought I had done something wrong in my code so I went over it multiple times, altering the way my merchants are loaded but I haven't been able to find a solution. What I do know however is that when the stable was released, the merchant.lua was "altered" to allow players to sell their items but there's no information on how to "fix" our merchant.config files (patched or otherwise) to prevent that bug from happening. I'm currently working with someone on trying to find a solution but until then, the update is just not ready for release so sorry in advance.

4. espilonarge

News update!

After talking with people about the problem I was dealing with, the merchant bug has been resolved thanks to the help of GameRoo, Fevix and Kawa.

On that note, I'm making a few more touches to the mod before uploading... including one that I've been wanting to add since they added "pets" to the game. :)

[​IMG]

5. espilonarge

espilonarge updated Kangaru Race with a new update entry:

Corgi Conga Update!

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. ArmageddonDevil

ArmageddonDevil Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a bit out of the loop here, but needs a Glad Giraffe update.

7. espilonarge

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give a heads up on why the mod hasn't been updated (or rather, the latest build uploaded in this situation).

Firstly, Starbound is a bit of an oddball at the moment. It's hard in one sense to keep up with the direction the Chucklefish team are heading with all the contents plus changes they keep making and yet in the other sense, with the constant code changes being made in every nightly build, some of which I've had trouble in the past trying to patch up to make the mod compatible, I'm not sure if by V1.0 of Starbound my mod will be functioning correctly.

Secondly, because of things in life, it's harder to stay focused much less motivated with the mod as it is. It feels like with every bit of new contents that's added to Starbound, the more it feels incomplete in the long run (aka they add one thing but keep breaking two other things while at it). It's getting to the point I'm feeling really burnt out with Starbound, especially awaiting for "patches" that fixes a number of issues that have been plaguing the game for the past several months (eg = the "stairs to platform" bug that's hook-glitching NPC's and players that was reported "months" ago during the nightly builds is still broken in the stable build). I swear the moment I get my mod fixed up and ready, something else ends up broken the next nightly/unstable build that's released and in the long run, it's getting to be frustrating.

Personally, I don't know what will happen come V1.0 of Starbound. If anything, I still have no idea if what I have planned will "fit in" with Starbound as a whole (at least in terms of "story" or "plot" that works within Starbound lore). I could upload the current working version for the stable build but come the next unstable-to-stable build, it will be broken again (which I know for a fact I had to "fix" just to make sure it does work) and I have to play the "lets fix the code again" roulette game.

On another note, I'm hoping to find someone who knows how to program a "boomerang" effect on swords. I have major plans for the Kangaru's Boomerblades to have both "melee" and "ranged" functions (both one-handed and two-handed Boomerblades can be "swung" like normal but "charged" to be thrown) but in some cases they would need special effects programmed in (eg = a Boomerblade being "thrown" that has several "shadow blades" trailing behind that hit an enemy multiple times similar to Street Fighter Alpha's "Custom Combo" Super function). I'm personally not program-savvy as coding is not my best forte (I'm an artist at heart) so this is one of a few reasons why updates are few-and-far between.

8. espilonarge

espilonarge updated Kangaru Race with a new update entry:

Better Homes and Gardens

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hiuki likes this.
  9. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

Well in any case its nice to have an update. And good luck with that boomerang blade attack.

10. Hiuki

Nice to see ya up and running again. :p

11. avon krad

avon krad Void-Bound Voyager

how do I install it if I don't have a mod folder for starbound

12. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

How do you not have a mod folder?

13. Hiuki

navigate to "C:/program files (x82)/steam/steamapps/common/starbound/giraffe_storage" the folder is in there.
    or just search "giraffe_storage". there probably aren't that many files or folders with that name on your comp. xD

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  14. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Hi, I'm in the middle of making an extended dialog mod for custom races (since the default conversations are getting quite boring when you use different races and get the same results), and the Kangaru is planned to be in it. I still have a ton of dialog to go through though, and I could use your help in writing a line or two. (That means you too, Kangaru fans! Not just the mod-maker!)
    More details: thread link
    And oh, feel free to delete this post if it gets too spam-y. I'm gonna post this on each included race's discussion page.
    Thanks for reading this, at least!

15. Joshua Winters

Joshua Winters Space Hobo

Could you change the Hurt SFX? its kind of annoying.

16. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

Any news on whether this mod will be compatible with the upcoming July 22rd 1.0 update?

17. espilonarge

Hello everyone.

I thought I would just inform people that yes, I will be making it compatible with v1.0 however this is a "process" that could take either a short while or longer depending on how "in-depth" the changes are. The reason why there hasn't been any updates to the mod is because I placed it on hiatus, namely because I had a number of things to deal with (as anyone does in life) as well as the fact that every unstable/nightly had as much a chance of breaking something important (a couple of times nearly setting me back several fold leading to frustration). All-in-all, I will begin fixing up and preparing the mod but please note that I need time.

Also, know that programming is not my forte as I am an artist at heart so have patience.

Cameroo likes this.
  18. Cameroo

Cameroo Void-Bound Voyager

hey espo, thanks for putting so much time and effort into this. I look forward to seeing it done! But, don't kill yourself doing it either <3

19. Cassius Faux

Cassius Faux Void-Bound Voyager

Good luck on further working on this mod! Must ask, will it make its way to the Steam Workshop at any point after completion?

20. espilonarge

Thanks. :)

At this point, I'm not sure. The mod is no where near complete (certain things still needing to be done and fixed) and I felt like I'm not ready to use it till I get a grasp on how it works (shouldn't be hard to figure out). Until the mod is updated, I prefer to wait till I'm ready to move on to the next step of uploading to the Workshop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.