1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Just lost a bunch of progress.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Patpuc, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Patpuc

Patpuc Void-Bound Voyager

For some reason, i just lost a bunch of progress. .
    - I lost all bookmarked planets and saved locations, this includes the saved location of the outpost, i had to find another planet and activate the gate with core fragments.
    - i lost progress on the amount of racial artefacts i had on the gate (i had both the floran and hylotl artefacts, now gone)
    - side quest popping up again as if i never did them
    - outpost shops are now closed again, after doing the story mission that opened them

I didn't lose any items, or anything. Which is strange. Hopefully this bug get noticed. I'm not sure how this happened.

2. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds to me like something happened to your universe file, as I believe that is where all that information is stored.

Have you been playing multiplayer?

3. Patpuc

Patpuc Void-Bound Voyager

No I haven't. :/ I'm assuming something got corrupted when i shut down my laptop and the game was still running ( i was at the starbound main menu) silly me. ^^

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Rendmaru

Rendmaru Poptop Tamer

yea as a number of topics this is becoming a pretty huge issue needs fixing becouse now i feel like i wasted so much time in the game and dont even wanna start over :zzz:;

Galactic Avatar likes this.
  5. Looped

Looped Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had this same thing happen, my game froze and crashed and when I reopened it I had no bookmarks saved, my location was different, I also had no teleporter locations saved and verifying integrity of the cache did nothing

6. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

Basically the same happened to me after a hard crash....and I lost my actual character (I was able to get him back though, by creating an extensions: Thanks Nethersponge). Trying to decide if I want to do a full universe reset or just play with the hand I've been dealt.

7. Rendmaru

Rendmaru Poptop Tamer

might need to restart becouse the outpost is reset as well along with your artifact progress + shops

8. Looped

Looped Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's far too late in my day for me to even try bothering, I'm either going to wait and hope they have a fix for it or I am just not going to play because restarting to risk it happening again is too much, and even if they patch it if I cannot get my own stuff back that I already made I feel like I'm just passing time. :(

9. Rendmaru

Rendmaru Poptop Tamer

i feel yea...i just got done building a farm + base to store stuff and try to slowly colonize it.....power goes out during some exploration / questing ... bam..hours of work gone in less then 5 mins :/

10. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

I lost my Outpost progress and all telepprt locations aswell. My ship also moved to a random planet. I think it was because I closed the game as soon as I got to the main menu and the game was still saving? If that's the case there should be something to prevent being able to exit the main menu while the game is still saving.

11. Galactic Avatar

Lucky for you several people have told me how to fix this... It's to late for me...but you..you could be the "ONE"! Below is the method to save yourself (and your alts!). Go now and save the galaxy!:

12. Solinias

Solinias Void-Bound Voyager

Yeeeeah, I did this to my lost character, still ended up losing 8 hours of progress and items from the backup file.

13. Elvarion

Elvarion Void-Bound Voyager

The above method doesnt work if you play on a server and the server crashes. Since the game saves on ALL your backups at the same time for some idiotic reason.
    Why have 3 different backups if the game is going to overwrite all of them at the same time? They should be tiered and overwritten every 10-15min or something.

The only way to save your on skin is to manually backup all the time just to be safe.

Our server just crashed and two people on our server lost bunch of progress, me included. 3h farming just completely gone.
    Why do we have more severe bugs when the game is released then we had during unstable/nightly??

Attached my server log if its of any use.

I am seriously getting tired of our ships getting wiped.

Attached Files:

14. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Yeah, a simple power outage, a BSOD, or a game crash can all cause you to lose main quest progress and teleport you to a random gentle star. You have to re-unlock the outpost etc. This is a MAJOR problem and I keep seeing topics pop up about this, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere by staff. It seems to me like it's something fundamentally wrong with the way the game is programmed, and as you say it overwrites backups. My unvierse files end in .fail now and that's absolutely unhelpful.

15. SamuFinland

But when was the last back up taken? Isn't the Outpost shared between all characters in the same computer? If I go to the Outpost with a brand new character would it be possible to get the Outpost like it was?

16. Elvarion

Elvarion Void-Bound Voyager

When it crashes for me I am unable to continue with that character, since I cant do the ship quest again since I have already completed it. So its either creating a new character or rely on your own backups if you have them.
    Yeah, the lack of dev reply is unsettling..

17. SamuFinland

Alright, every character in the same computer shares the same Outpost and you can use that second character to redo the quests your main character can't do anymore(as it has already done them)

18. OJB_Gamin

OJB_Gamin Space Hobo

I found a way to get everything back! as far as i know, it DEFINATLY resets the outpost to what it was, and i think, it gives you your bookmarks back, not to sure. next time you have everything done, like, on your main character, the outpost is up to date, and you have your bookmarks, go in to the universe folder, and copy the universe DAT file somewhere. that contains the story progress, and what state the outpost is. so when the game crashes and the data is lost, delete the new, empty universe DAT file out of the universe folder in the game files, and replace it with the one you made the back up of. sould reset the out post to what it was. not 100% sure about the bookmarks

19. Galactic Avatar

I found a workaround for the outpost problem. Once you get back. Just go to your ship and start redoing the missions on order and that should clear up all you issues, and you won't have to restart with another character.

Note: By I found, I mean I was told in a similar thread about this by Trinasaur and some others, who I thank profusely.