1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Just have a thought on teleporting

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by KennethImagine, May 14, 2017.

1. KennethImagine

KennethImagine Void-Bound Voyager

Is it logic that we can teleport to bookmarked locations which far away from our ship? (like beaming ourselves from a solar system to other solar system by teleporter) D:

[Edited: It just a weird game logic like torch works on moon, thank you guys]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

Im not sure how the Teleporter works but I'd like to believe its always aware of where in known space it is and so can always calculate how far and where bookmarked locations are. Obviously Im no scientist and I'm not particularly familiar with what kind of Teleporter it is or how Teleporters work but If it converts matter to light then its only a matter of the speed of light, how far away, and where.

jonathonspy likes this.
  3. ForumZap

ForumZap Astral Cartographer

Well, real life rules don't apply to Starbound, so possibly yes? I mean Starbound logic could be completely different. However if you're talking real life, no. (I hope you already knew that :unsure:)

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Assume bookmarks are actually setting up a quantum entanglement. Problem solved.

Shaggyd0g likes this.
  5. Mahna

Mahna Void-Bound Voyager

It makes as much sense as why in survival when you die you leave your stuff behind. You can teleport with all your crap halfway across the galaxy but if you are dead we have to leave your stuff behind. I'm already dead take an extra few minutes to beam my stuff back with me. Oh don't worry about the fact that you can't actually teleport from deep underground, when you die we crank the power up to like 8 so we can get your body. Dude! Turn it up to 11 and bring my stuff back too.

Yes I know I could be playing casual, but I am just being silly.

STCW262 likes this.
  6. dullreverie

Honestly I think loosing pixels upon death makes sense in starbound, the reconstruction of your character and their items is not perfect, its rushed and messy. Its a wonder 30% is all thats lost on survival.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

why would it be messy and rushed? DoesnT make ssense that only pixels are lost. And making it rushed and messy may mean you enter Life back as a disabled one. LOL, thats beeing messy at the a very wrong step.

8. dullreverie

Game mechanics wise I think it makes perfect sense that upon death you incur a penalty, gives you a reason to store pixels. From a realistic standpoint I wouldn't know. I think we've derailed the topic enough at this point.

9. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Well starbound is just a funny little game, and nothing else, there is nearly no logic in it's universe. I can only store pressed pixels in chests, (and have to lose % if i decompress them again) But when this is the case, how cna pixels even be found in containers? Who placed them there and how? What magic or scientific myth is this?

teleporting is basically the same thing, it exists the way it does for gameplay reasons, no logic given or attemp to explain it.

In the end thats fine, it's way better than the derpy lore explanations the devs of Elite dangerous tried to give people to explain their ingame features. In most cases they broke logic and immersion a lot more than they achieved with that explanation.

10. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last night when I was playing I decompressed a 10k block of pixels and got the whole 10k back... so the 10% loss of pixels seems to have disappeared.
    Either that or I wasn't paying full attention to my pixel reserves.

11. lazarus78

You probably have a mod that has undone this.

12. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

Voxels count as items, not pixels, so if you compress all your pixels into voxels and then die you won't lose any

13. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play vanilla

14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

then try it again and pay more attention if it really is like that.

15. lazarus78

I looked into it. The 10k voxel does indeed decompress to 10k. No loss. In fact all of them have no loss.

16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I've never even noticed a loss. Was that really part of the game? I mean, the whole point of the compressor is that you wouldn't lose pixels.

EDIT: If I'm remembering the version names correctly, the 1.0 update was when it was changed, according to the wiki.

17. lazarus78

They had a 40% loss as "compensation" for the convenience of being able to store pixels. It seems they decided against that.