1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Jonesy Does Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jonesy, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Man! I miss that build, looked so much easier on the eyes.

2. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Named creatures are waaaaaaay to common and do serve to make exploring very repetitious.

also, all the planets (regardless of type--moons being the obvious exception) seem to draw from the same assortment of underground biomes which further exacerbates exploration tedium.

Devildomvoyeur and Corraidhín like this.
  3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

And thus, I saw the whole universe in about 5 systems and varying "difficulties/types" whatever ppl call em these days.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  4. evilnancyreagan

exactly. A Universe of 4 kajillion planets summarized in five entries.

Just throwing this out there but; it would be pretty cool if we had a custom universe generator and we could weight the occurrence and configuration of features to our personal liking. Mine would be a universe of bleak desolation consisting mostly of gas giants, moons and barren wastelands--you know, just like ours!

Corraidhín likes this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I don't mind the biomes repeating so much (there's enough minidungeons that it is varied enough).... it's the mobs man, the mobs.

They are so utterly annoying.

I'm not even suggesting we outright remove the offending mobs, but how about.... a little less of them and more varied spawns?

Devildomvoyeur, Tamorr and Lindazana like this.
  6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

That would be perfect, very much like Dont Starve custom settings.

I think everyone would agree with you on that lol. Theres so many I dont even care what im shooting at anymore.

7. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

As with so many things, the Hylotl-Floran incident has been downplayed too in the new lore (surprise surprise). It's implied that the Florans don't even remember it happened anymore and that it's now a distant memory to the Hylotl... Like, at least hundreds of years ago. So animosity between those two races is much less than in the old lore or something. Many of the Hylotl are still peeved, but don't show it as openly as before.

A Treatise on the Floran

Generations ago, Hylotl civilisation was almost undone: a race of philosophers and artists almost brought to extinction by the barbarous attacks of a savage horde.
    The Floran, simplistic, violent, and uncivilised, ravaged our lands, and savaged our people. Their ferocious violence threatened our very existence.
    In modern times, this old enmity has faded into nonexistence.
    While the Floran have simply forgotten about this episode in our shared past, we Hylotl have managed to forgive. We do so magnanimously, and with lightness in our hearts. We forgive them.
    Even though they destroyed centuries worth of literature, artistry and achievement... Even though they drove us, terrified, beneath the ocean waves... Even though they tried to eat us.
    Yes. We definitely forgive them.

Also, annoyingly, even the CURRENT Hylotl codexes imply they have larger lung capacities, despite no such racial advantage being in the game to my knowledge.

Lindazana, Jonesy and Vrow like this.
  8. evilnancyreagan

Or like any world building game since Civ II....

9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahh sorry. I actually havent played many titles. It is strange, building games have had such features for ages now, and SB lacks the most basic things at "full release", many which DID have back in beta. It is rather puzzling.

10. evilnancyreagan

there are world-building games that pre-date civ II

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I think it'd be more interesting if the Florans did indeed forget that they nearly drove another species to extinction (they don't seem particularly unified, after all), but the Hylotls still had a massive cultural scar as a result. It'd probably go against their philosophy to have a full-on grudge, but it's not impossible to pull off hypocrisy in such a manner.

Devildomvoyeur and Lindazana like this.
  12. Shaadaris

I dunno, I suppose so? It just feels to me like they cheaped out on the lore details again.

13. Jonesy

I've made a bit of a start on that fanfic, and I'm currently wondering if the core cast could be given more significance by actually playing a role in the player character's prologue to some degree. I don't know if it would make sense in all cases, but it's worth a shot.

The reason I say this is to ask everyone a question; how old do you think Lana Blake is? Early-to-mid thirties?

14. Shaadaris

I'd say that's a pretty good estimate, considering we only have pixel art to go off of and we have no idea how long Apex live.

15. Jonesy

Since first posting this, I've found a couple of things I'd like to comment on, and have added them in an update at the bottom of the OP if anyone's interested.

SivCorp likes this.
  16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Some comments about what you updated:

1). The Pixel Printer.... yes, /admin + pixel printer = LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG. This is why they need Racial Add-Ons for the Pixel Printer (that function a lot like the Manipulator and its addons). I find that yes, even after you close the PP, some of the lag persists. I would, at this point, suggest that you /spawnitem instead of using /admin and the PP to get something you don't already have, or be prepared to close and restart the game after you get what you need.

2). When you visit villages, try to sneak a single block of each type (so the villagers don't attack you), because that will unlock it to build at the Workbenches. Don't worry too much about costs; the blocks are usually between 1:20 and 1:50, meaning 1 material produces 20-50 blocks.

3). I find I use /admin to replace lost pixels when a cheap death happens that I don't agree was my fault, or there are some enemies that I just find are entirely annoying or overpowered (those stupid jumping potato enemies and their propeller leaf cousins) so if I come across a large amount of those, sometimes I'll /admin my way through those. And also.... crew. I hate getting soldier after soldier after soldier when doing quests for NPCs. You can spawn crew by using

Code:
    /spawnnpc (insert_race_here) crewmember(insert_type_here)
    ex: /spawnnpc avian crewmembermedic
    I'm pretty sure that's the command, it's been a little while but it is something like that, wiki has more info about that. So if you do quests and you see yet ANOTHER soldier pop, you can just spawn the correct crewtype instead and recruit THAT one.

Jonesy likes this.
  17. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

Dude. If you want your ship upgraded, alls you need to do is /spawnitem shipT whatever ship tier you want.

About the caretaker, it is a bit strange that they hid the other ancient plaque in the new apex mission, when the plaque says caretaker and there is a caretaker prop but outside of that I he caretaker is unreferenced. Maybe the new Ark Dungeon Screenshot that was posted on October 7th has something to do with the caretaker, because the caretaker definitely has something to do with the ark. Maybe the caretaker is one of the only Ancients left?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  18. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

I wished that the game's story was like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's Story in a sense.
    IN TES4, nearing the end of the story, you have an option to help the many cities throughout the game, but if you do. It makes the final battle so much easier than the 1 Town set of guards you would've gotten. Then you can rush in and fight and have all of Tamriel come in and help. I wished SB had done something like that to at least make it feel like you're making a difference and helped everyone out throughout the journey.

I wished that the story made more sense for a multiple character sense as well. I walked to the outpost on my new character and noticed that the gate, NPC's and even shops are opened for business. Yet Esper don't give a hoot that the gate is opened RIGHT BEHIND HER and the fact the artifacts are now needed to be collected, AGAIN. If I wanted to, I could literally kill the ruin on a new character instantly, and yet non of the NPC's think I existed yet until they logically appeared in the story. (Nuru's quest didn't start until I did the ceremonial hunting caverns for example.) I feel like something here is a bit messed up...

Jonesy likes this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can also buy a license from the Penguin Bay guy, too.

But I wasn't talking about upgrading your ship, I was talking about recruiting different crewmembers. You might want crewmembers for some other reason than upgrading your ship, and it is sometimes annoying when you get soldier after soldier after soldier when what you REALLY want is a mechanic or an engineer, or maybe a medic to hang out on your ship and give you sweet bonuses (like infinite fuel efficiency, lol.....)

20. Jonesy

Is it just me, or has contact damage been removed?