Modding Discussion Jeffman's Shipyard

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jeffman12, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jeffman12

Jeffman12 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm going to start working on a series of iconic pop-culture ships and potentially some of my own design if requests run dry. I'd be willing to dedicate my unallocated spare time to this activity for the foreseeable future, assuming some other project does not monopolize my attention.

Here's something I'm currently working on, first to guess correctly gets... I dunno, an ego boost or something.

http://imgur.com/o6lXlBE

I am aware this is not what the blocks image should look like in its finality, this is simply a reference. I also left a height stick in there.

I plan to update regularly and format this post for requests pending release of the first project.

2. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

A spaceship!
    I win!

3. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks like that dragon from pokemons

4. Jeffman12

I can assure you, I will only be creating ships of some note, not ships shaped like other things of note.

5. Chaze007

Chaze007 Aquatic Astronaut

Is that the GreatFox?

6. Demian019

Demian019 Void-Bound Voyager

Star Trek Klingon Bird Of Prey

7. Voidnaut

Voidnaut Big Damn Hero

I feel like I'm kind of disqualified from this guessing game...

8. Kodos

Kodos Void-Bound Voyager

That's obviously the Serenity ship from Firefly.

Nakir934, Runetracer and DiGi42 like this.
  9. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

Yep, that was my first thought too.

10. Jeffman12

I thought that guessing game would have ended a lot sooner or a lot later. But, yes, that's what I'm working on, I plan on layering the detail, so first up is the interiors
    http://bookes.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/serenity-plan-1200.jpg
    I'm using this as my reference image, and I'm of course flipping it so the stars go in the correct direction. The height stick is in the dining area and represents 30 pixels of height, to which will be converted to 5 blocks, or the height of a standard door, although I may need to scale up or down a bit. I was originally thinking of it as the height of a player compared to one of the human figures in the diagrams, but then realized the number was only cleanly divisible by 5, not 4, and 5 is door height, not player height.

11. Insomnacious

Insomnacious Void-Bound Voyager

Definitely a firefly class. Just gave up on mine a few days ago...
    [​IMG]
    Finals killed mine, hope you can finish yours. (the background reference is not to scale, I built the collision map off of the shipship.png)

12. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Shiny!

I've been working on one of these too. Did you plan on designing a working engine? As in a sprite which spins. I was wondering how exactly to go about that ...

13. Jeffman12

I thought of it, but I don't think it's within the capabilities of the game currently, I don't seem to recall .pngs being able to animate, but a friend of mine is working with the programming side of things.

Maybe there's a way to have it animate through several different .pngs?

Another friend suggested working on a Starfleet Constitution class Enterprise. Looking at the scale of that, I don't think it'd be too healthy for a server. Voyager, though... That's a maybe.

14. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Other furniture in the game is animated, so it would take creating a new item. But my sprites are usually fugly. Startrek would be sweet in this, but maybe a 'tribute' ship and not an scale model? It should be practical for playing the game with, afterall.

15. Voidnaut

Voidnaut Big Damn Hero

.pngs in Starbound contain all the frames of their item animation in a single file. A separate .frames file then tells the game how big each frame is and how they're tiled using x and y values (so a 6-frame item animation for an item thats 20x20 pixels could have a 40x60 .png and a .frames file that contains the parameters [20x20] [3,2] and be arranged like a "six-pack").

16. zer0t3ch

zer0t3ch Void-Bound Voyager

Haven't seen that show in sooooo long...... I need to go watch it.....

17. Jeffman12

Interesting. But I suppose this would require it to be a new item and require each user to have the necessary files?

18. GabrielARC

GabrielARC Void-Bound Voyager

Is this mod still active. I was hoping someone would be doing this! If its still active GO FOR THE GOLD BRO!

19. Voidnaut

Voidnaut Big Damn Hero

I apologize, I'm not sure I understand. What you're saying is true, yes, but that's the case for any mod. Again, I may be mistunderstanding you.

20. Jeffman12

Oh, I had thought that ships didn't require everyone to have them as a friend had used the space station and I didn't have to download it previously.