Modding Help It is possible to have different arms by gender?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Chofranc, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Like the title says, it is possible to have front arms and back arms different for males and female? I need to do this for my custom race, my race only have one color for they skin and i want to differentiate the male from females by color and another features, i can change the body part and the heads but the problem is that both genders uses the same file for the arms.

In short what i need is different arms for males and female.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

What race are you using as a template?

3. Chofranc

Im using the human race as template but im search on the other races and no one have the feature that i want to add, what i need is different arms for males and female.

4. Slippery Slime

Alright, I'm going to do some research on the hex color codes and see if you can edit those as well as what correlation they will have to the mod. I will get back to you as soon as I can

5. Chofranc

Male:
    [​IMG]

Female:
    [​IMG]

In the second image u can see that the arms are like the male arms because starbound use both arms for both genders, i want to know if there is a way to use different arms file for females like u can do it in the armors where u can choose what sprites use for both genders.

I want that females looks like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. Slippery Slime

There is only one file for the front and backarms, yes. I don't know if there is anything that can change there. Perhaps you could customize the female clothing so that is has different colored arms?

7. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about modding Starbound, but I just took a quick look and humanoid/any/dummy.config has a specifier for frontArm and backArm alongside body and head. Have you tried adding a frontArm entry to your separate male and female sections where you specify the body and head files to see if the game will pick it up? I know that for name generation you can specify separate sets for gender or just one overall set, so perhaps the same holds true for certain other properties as well.

8. Chofranc

Well, thats for the dummy that you see when you do a preview of the armor in game but im looking for the file that do somenthing like that, in armors you can do the same, you can make that the same armor have a different look for males and female when equipped, i want to know where the game selects the humanoid sprites and if you can do somenthing like the armors does when select the sprites for females and males, that would be cool to add a little more variety to future customs species.

9. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I know it's for the dummy, I just meant that if they can specify it there then perhaps you could specify it in your own as well. Anyways, I'll let those who know more about modding handle it. Good luck.

10. Chofranc

Well, after a long searching i think that is not possible yet, i used the notepad ++ searcher to search among all the archives of the game and i didnt find anithing but i made some tweaks to my sprites and now they can look different by gender so thanks for all the answer.

Note: If one of you guys find anything pls post it in this thread.

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

It is not possible to make gender specific sprites, aside from chests and leg animations. I have discussed improving the versatility of racial body sprites with the devs, but it's a low priority.