1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Starbound potentially racist?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NamelessLime, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

....so umm.... was it Japan's fault?

Godzilla03 likes this.
  2. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Everything is potentially racist and some stuff is on purpose. And sometimes, it's funny while being such.

Vodka Drunkenski and Pizza Pasta I'm looking at you.

Don't take this sort of stuff so seriously and it's not a problem. It's one of those things that's a problem because we make it such.

4. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Of course! It was Yout-- Canada all along!

5. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

Unfortunately that utopian society could never exist in the real world. The games utopia got ruined by tentacles, our utopia got ruined because humans are dumb.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

That's a pretty dumb assumption, I love Japan. But apparently making a stereotype joke is racist now.

7. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

That was the joke...I don't really think you're racist promise.

8. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

:wut::wut::wut::wut::wut: oh...

9. Malvolio Portius

Malvolio Portius Pangalactic Porcupine

Of course the humans would have a perfect society, we are the only ones who have any common decency! Let's look at the lesser races shall we?

The Apex's government is too obvious with their control of their people and it spurs rebellion through their ranks.

We know what wrong with the Floran. *Shudder*

The Avians butcher one another for their false god.

The Glitch aren't even working as they were suppose to.

The Novakids don't even record their history, imagine the mistake's they repeat!

Hylotl, I can't say yet they don't have any flaws I can nitpick at yet but I'm sure we ill know soon.

10. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Hylotl are based on Mudkips and Japan.

They are perfect godchildren. That in of itself is the flaw. -w-

11. Malvolio Portius

The Dominion don't resort to petty racism like that, judge the looks of a people.

Instead we like to point out flaw's and weakness's and continually remind our enemies of them over and over again, but hate to hear the same retort come back at us. Those who do that are defeated first.

12. Dzelda

So basically what happens all the time then. Who listens then if both sides are blocking insults? Is anything truly done? I suggest you get your mind off if something is racist and just get on with talking to people like friends. I mean look at the Internet. You people are bloody wierdos.

Thats why I fit in so well. :rofl:

13. Malvolio Portius

Well than is nothing to say to them if they are not listening.

(You do realize this account is a living reference to another game right?)

14. Dzelda

You do realize you are validating my point of the Internet being filled with wierdos right? >:3

(How many people drunk or sober would have this convo irl :rofl: )

15. Malvolio Portius

Well it's not like I'm being a real racist, I'll end up making a toon of every race at some point. I'm just playing the part of Malvolio Portius! Don't tell anyone else though or it will ruin the immersion I have going here, if anyone get's the reference.

(Wow this is fun but going nowhere fast, I'ma jump this thread. Thanks for being friendly about this. I though for a moment you were about to tear my head off my shoulders and throw it onto a pike. No way I could hate any of the races of this game, maybe dislike but not full on hate. Good luck and cya!)

16. Psycho

Psycho Intergalactic Tourist

The tentacles are found on many planets, meaning it's most probably an invasion, which is not an unique idea but I can deal with it.

17. Corsair

Corsair Orbital Explorer

Racist is probably the wrong word. Ethnocentric is probably more accurate. And why wouldn't it be? We're humans and the game is written from our lens using aliens whom are human analogs with vaguely human forms. Nothing presented is even slightly alien. No concepts we don't understand or haven't experienced at some time as a race or espoused on as a potential for ourselves.

18. Malvolio Portius

Sorry, I did say I would leave after my last post but I had to respond.

I'm not looking THAT deep into it, they are considered different races, we used the term "Racist" to best explain hate for them (Sense we use it in real life it's much more easier to understand.). Yes you my be right, it's just easier for people to see the term and better understand it's meaning. Ethnocentric although probably more accurate in terms, will not be understood as easy. Sure you can look it up on google to get the meaning, but it is easier for us to reach out of a more openly understood concept. How many people use that word in real life to describe things? I can't be sure, I never even knew the word existed until now.

Time to hit the dictionary!

19. chickenfrend

chickenfrend Void-Bound Voyager

I like the optomistic, somewhat idealistic view of future Earth. It'spart of what I find appealing about Star Trek.

20. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

But a utopian society could exist without humans, at least without the dumb humans that inhabit the Earth today. Evolution will cause our species to change over generations, so our ancestors wont be as dumb as we are today. Our distant ancestors might be able to achieve a harmonious society. It's possible that this is the idea presented in the game's universe.