1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to have a different universe per character?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ackar2003, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ackar2003

ackar2003 Void-Bound Voyager

I want to be able to have multiple characters! I beat the game as my main one, then created a Novakid and played it again. When I got to the ark: everyone was there (quests too) and the gate was open! Is it possible to create a different universe so I don't have all this stuff already unlocked?

Another little issue: whenever I launch Starbound, it asks for the administrator's password. If I put it in, the game does "first time setup" and says it installs "Microsoft redist package". The next time, it still asks me. If I put it in again, it does "first time setup" once more! Why is this happening?

2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Delete universe.dat from storage\universe, but mind you that also deletes all bookmarks from teleporter and navigation console.

Where did you got the game? Steam, GOG, somewhere else?

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The only way to have different universes is to have a separate directory you boot from. That is having a copy of the game somewhere else, and then proceed to load which ever game you want to play the character of.

Characters share universe, and that would take a lifetime+ to explore all the planets. The problem, which should be obvious, of the the above is that it would take up more drive space doing so; and for those wanting to keep drive space down that might not be an option. There is not really a non-tedious way to do so. It is by design that it is the way it is. I rather enjoy the setup since I am more of a builder than one to make runs on the game from start to finish. That is me though...

Can't really help with the second problem, as that sounds like a steam problem that I am not familiar with. I had not had that happen to me before.

4. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can use console command: type /admin, and then type /resetuniverseflags. Restart your game and the Outpost shall be brand new again.

5. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

without playing around a little no as mentioned in prevoius post
    however if you dont want to lose old universe then copy storage/universe folder ,

if you plan to have a lot of new charcters and universe it may be better to copy storage/player, and keep together those that belong to each other...

maybe there is a mod that do this automaticly but i havent heard of one yet

6. ackar2003

ackar2003 Void-Bound Voyager

Oh wow I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the answers!