1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is is possible to offend a fictional race...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Snazzy Drew, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Which race do you dislike the most?

1. Monkeymen

79 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Birdfolk

32 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Robochaps

28 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. TheHonorableGeneral

TheHonorableGeneral 2.7182818284590...

Well you have to remember that the Glitch species has a "glitch" in their system leaving them in the medieval era. Medieval class prejudices (society vs. outcasts, royalty vs. commoners, etc) and sexism would probably be applied full-force in their society. Outcast Glitches like the PC would be more open, yes, but since they've grown up among Glitch society they probably still would have such prejudices ingrained in their heads. They'd take a while to unlearn, I think.

And while there are enough resources for everyone to thrive, there's still a finite amount of resources. Sure, if we all shared we could all live comfortably, but some people aren't content with the idea of just being "comfortable". They want to dominate, be on top, be the alphas, and satisfy an urge that's a mark of, as Darwin put it, "the indelible stamp of our lowly origin". Hence why on Earth, when we have plenty of resources to feed people, people in parts of Africa, Asia, and India starve to death. Do you really think if we REALLY cared about them, they would be squatting in filth?

2. Falke77

Falke77 Big Damn Hero

In the vast span of the entire universe, there might be a finite amount of resources, but the amount is probably so large the fact its finite is insignificant.
    Of course this is also based on the premise that alien life would hold the same values that we do.

One species could be entirely altruistic and forgiving, willing to even sacrifice itself to preserve lower life forms.
    Another could be even more self-serving and brutal than we are.
    Lot of angles.

As for glitch, If my character is willing to question religion itself, what else is he willing to question?

3. Seiga Nyan Nyan

Seiga Nyan Nyan Tentacle Wrangler

Those Glitch really know how to get on my nerves.
    I'd take out my anger on them, but as a Hylotl I'm much too civilized for that.
    Quite odd that I'd take a Floran over a Glitch any day.

4. President Tzeentch

President Tzeentch Space Hobo

Avians. Avian cultists everywhere trying to attack my poor Floran ;n;

5. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Oh no, not another world infested by these. I really hope it's not the plasma-torpedo-spitting variety.

Seriously, these things show up like everywhere for me. I can't go three worlds without running into some variation of them, usually armed with things like fire spray, bloody vomit, plasma torpedoes or sonic wave.

If there's a species I genuinely hate, it's these.

6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

bathsalt potheads

7. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

I get them all the time... most of mine have body slam or charge, or both. they stand completely still, but as soon as you get in melee range BAM they're standing inside you dealing continuous damage, and moving at the exact speed that you run at so that you can never escape... god save us all...

8. Captainpeels146

Captainpeels146 Tentacle Wrangler

this raises the question of if there is anyone the floran wouldn't kill, so i would say they ARE the most bloodthirsty

9. Captainpeels146

Captainpeels146 Tentacle Wrangler

one more question: what is everyone's thoughts on Apex? I chose my character to be one because I liked the idea of monkeys finally getting smart. sure the whole brainwash thing was creepy, but I imagined my character as having escaped partially brainwashed. I mean in a way where he has flashbacks to things in his past but can't quite recall where it's from. he's a fugitive on the loose not really in the mood to talk

10. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

That's why gliding squirrels and snakes can glide, right?

11. Professor Clarion

Professor Clarion Master Chief

Honestly, any race that the majority of the playerbase gets behind and RP'ers start to emulate, will gain the ire of non roleplayers and casual fourmgoers. I understand that you like the Avian, but if you and I, and a few hundred other people decided to start swearing by and calling on Kluex or the Stargazers(?), I'm sure those who disliked any rp, or whatever, would resent the race as well.

Short of it is, some fans will want to act like their fav race, and other fans will dislike the method by which they express that like. Personally, I can get behind all the races, and if you can manage to rp a Florian and not sound like a snake, more power to you.

If its not in already, I'd love to see the npc's react in lore friendly ways, ie: the Florian / Hyjoil schism.

12. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Definition of "flightless" for an animal is the inability to fly; Definition of "fly" for an animal is to have control of movement while in the air. Gliding animals are flying animals, such as "Flying Squirrels" the tribe of 44 flying and gliding squirrels. Some are just gliders, while others are capable of obtaining lift. Both meet the requirement of having control of movement, able to freely turn while in the air, though they lack powered flight (such as bats/birds/insects). They are, however, still capable of "flight" by definition. I'm pretty sure Avians aren't restricted to gliding only based on normal trajectory and gravity physics, and are capable of slowing horizontal movement to a straight drop, or even to turn around and glide back the other way, which is, by referring to animals, "flying".

But that's beside the point. They are still only "flightless" as a balance reason, instead taking their racial armor to make the species able to fly. The racial armor bonuses are what gives the races their racial bonuses. Plants are expected to turn sunlight into energy (and floran armor does), and birds are expected to fly (racial armor does!), and humans love their pockets (purses, cargo jeans, parachute pants) and one would think pockets add extra space to store items (human armor does!), and sussshi is expected to die by ssstabs (but their racial armor just lets them breathe in water... go figure?).

13. Dactylos

Dactylos Subatomic Cosmonaut

Those who think the Florans are two dimensional havent heard about Greenfinger and the dreams of oaken soldiers.

There is a mystery behind the deceptively cute face of these savage tribal plantfolk. One that I assume will be expanded when character quests are a thing.

But on topic... I think I hate humans the most. Because all the ones I meet are complete assholes. They are either USCM soldiers who shoot at me on sight... or escaped convicts who try to shank me.

14. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

The poll lacks "Weeds" and "Toadstools", that's a shame... anyways, um, why not offend some fictional races? Being a fictional jerk in fictional universe is fun, as long as you don't cross the line.

15. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Damn, that's some smarticles right there.

16. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

You know, I hate humans too. Humans made the hylotl in this game, and sssushi needsss to go die by ssstabs. #BlameHumans