Is gold per day that important?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4leaf clover, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I actually love hops because I mostly do themed farms. My most favorite playthrough is my Shiredew Forestry&Brewery Co. ^^

Honeywell likes this.
    • Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, there's something very pretty about Trellis crops. They really do look pretty. I remember driving by a Malibu vineyard in the mountains thinking that was one of the most classy places in the city. My only regret is that there isn't a irrigation system that lets you grow long lines of them. You have to disrupt them with sprinklers which is a little awkward. Aesthetics vs profit.
      [​IMG]

Surenu likes this.
      • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I also like fruit trees. There's an apple orchard near where I live (I live in a sorta weird industrial-ish urban-ish rural-ish area in western Germany) and I always like to go by there during my walks.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Ahh, THAT's your problem, then. Common issue, actually. Let me see if I can share with you how I go about doing things in such a way that you may be able to pick up what I'm putting down...

First off, my bare bones 'second week of spring' farm plot is 160 spaces. It is described by an area around a single scarecrow, and has places for 20 sprinklers. Not all of it is immediately of use to you, of course, but it is at least delineated by the end of the first week of spring, that being your first major project to get going.

[​IMG]

Of course, you won't be able to get all the sprinklers going until close to the end of spring, or perhaps the first week of summer, but that's understandable. But this is a pattern which can be repeated multiple times for mostly passive farming.

To do this, you need to delve down to gold level as rapidly as possible. Gather what copper you can, maybe a few gems that happen to show themselves to donate to the museum, but your main goal is descending. Avoid combat, definitely avoid fighting slimes, and avoid the larvae from level 10-29.

Once you breech level 80, you hit levels 30-39 for copper, 40-49 for iron, then 80-89 for gold. Don't forget to hit 90 for the checkpoint. You can go as far down as 100 for the stardrop if you want, but that's as far as you need to go for the moment.

In levels 30-39, you hit any exposed copper ore, any of the stones that are guaranteed stone drops because they have a chance of also dropping coal, and killing the golems because they have a 10% chance of dropping coal. In 40-49, you kill soot sprites, which almost always drop coal, and mine any iron you can find. Down in 80-89, you generally only want to kill the shamans that cast spells at you and the fireball-spewing faces. You do NOT want to get caught up in a fight with the metaknight dudes or slimes.

You see, the trick is to stop looking at the amount of resources and start looking at resource acquisition rates. As the saying goes "Cash is not king, cash is a liquid asset. If you fail to leverage that asset, its value is effectively nil. Cash flow is king". So you have to determine at what rate your resources are coming in versus being consumed producing items.

Since your sole limiting factor in making kegs is the oak resin, everything is timed off of how fast you can get oak resin from your tree tapper farm. If you can get a stand of 30 oak trees, that means you can fill half a shed per week. That means you need 150 copper and 150 iron ore and 60 coal per week from the mines to keep up with your oak resin production. More than that isn't as useful unless you are also doing things like making sprinklers for another farming plot. This means you never need to purchase ore ever again as long as you do 2 mining dives per week and hit 30-39 and 40-49 consistently. This should very easily be coal-positive if you murder every golem and soot sprite you run across. Golems have a 10% chance of giving coal, soot sprites can give a whole bunch.

Your mistake is looking at the total number of resources per shed without taking into consideration your rate of oak resin production is going to be a choke point LONG before your ores will be, then panicking over how many resources it seems to be and just purchasing them, spending FAR more money than you need to. If you put all the money you used to put into ores and put it into coal instead, you've got enough coal for an entire farm's worth of preserves jars.

This also has the added advantage of working up your mining skill fairly rapidly. At level 5, you pick up Miner for 100%-20% more ore, depending on your luck, and at level 10 you pick up Prospector and your coal shortage is solved.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I played the game at a more relaxed pace. I grew a modest plantation of 12 oak trees with tappers at the start in spring, and ended up with more oak resin then I could use. I don't find spending my days slaving away in the mines terribly fun, which is why I'm more willing to use cash to speed up the process. I still managed to get a statue of perfection from Grandpa, so my relaxed pace was still profitable enough apparently. I guess you could say I played the game like a casual industrialist. I produce a modest crop to be refined into manufactured goods, but I'm keenly aware that the money becomes worthless up to a point because you run out of things to spend it on, so I'm not in a hurry to make as much as I can. I found no point in buying a gold clocktower because I don't use any fences and knock out all the weeds in Spring, so I pretty much ran out of things to do once I had half a mil of cash in the 3rd year with nothing to spend it on.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Buying the materials for more kegs/jars is what i do too, but at the beginning saving every penny for better ways to make more money/buildings/animals is what i do. Usually im up at 500k gross profit at the end of the first summer, and that is where i start to buy all my materials from Clint, because i need to keep up with the oak resin my ~30 oak trees produce (And those 2k Hops need to be made in beer before the first load of pumpkins are ripe in autumn)

Dust Sprites are my favorite resource in the mines, spamming 40-49 3 times a day until i reach my personal turning point. After that i usually stop min/maxing and just go for whatever i want to do ^.~

If i ever wanted to run a pur money machine i'd need to run another standard farm, but i like the forest farm too much for that ^o^

• ShneekeyTheLost

Wait... pumpkins? Why in the name of Yoba are you bothering with pumpkins? Your three gold-crops are Parsnips, Corn (planted in Summer, carried over to Fall), and Melons. You only need a single pumpkin for the bundle, done on deluxe speed-gro for the greenhouse unlock on the 13th of fall. Pumpkins are sadly lacking in profit. Cranberries, nerfed though they may be, tend to do MUCH better, particularly when processed in preserves jars, which is why I make a push to get a shed full of jars before winter sets in.
                I regularly use the Forest farm for cash grabbing. It's great, it has the stumps that renew daily so a) you only need a copper axe for hardwood, and b) excellent for grinding your Foraging skill up so you can get lightning rods down before the last storm of Summer for your battery packs for the iridium sprinklers for the greenhouse. Because your Greenhouse will start netting you a million and a half per season once it gets going. Do that, and everything else is done to support it.

• Honeywell

Honeywell Phantasmal Quasar

Pumpkins and cranberries are so close in terms of net profit it's not worth the extra preserve jars and time needed to process them. If you happen to get a giant crop, 9 pumpkins become 18, and that's an additional 8,694g. From a min/max perspective pumpkins are the better way to go, IMO.

Cranberries:
                  Seed: 240g
                  Yield: 5 harvests/10 berries
                  10 preserves x 280g = 2,800g

Net: 2,560g

Pumpkins:
                  Seeds: 300g
                  Deluxe Speed Grow: 80g
                  Yield: 3 harvests/3 pumpkins
                  3 preserves x 966g = 2,898

Net: 2,518g
                  (If you get a giant crop add 107g for a net of 2,625.)

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Because you will never, never get presents or the true Halloween spirit out of a cranberry bog.

Untitled.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
                      Ambaaargh and musical74 like this.
                    • Magistrella

Not to mention that i go for juices (already had 130 kegs on 1st of autumn) instead of lousy wine that takes 3 days more to produce =.=. That limited keg space is needed for other things *cough*

1,5-2m are enough for me in year 1, after that i just start the lazy money machine with a full greenhouse of ancient fruit. Can't be bothered to harvest more then every 7 days and i even started to use the automate mod to fill and empty my kegs. Once i get to the point of Junimo huts in this 9th(jeez...) playthrough the farm could basically run itself if i had a way to transport crops from one chest to another automatically and i could ride around all day and fish while watching TV ^.~

How do you get to 3 harvests for pumpkins? The growth rate is 13 days, and even with deluxe speed grow it takes 10 days, i.e. a max of 2/season >.> Except if you calculate it with the Agriculturist profession, then it drops to 9 days and 3 harvests, but then the artisan product price drops to 720 for juice and 690 for pickles.

Shneeky is right when he says the cranberries are wildly superior as they will net you a profit of 2560/slot as jelly and 2910/slot as wine, where pumpkins only net you 1732/slot as pickles and 1816/slot as juice.

As i said above, the only reason i go with a huge field of pumpkins and a smaller field of cranberries/eggplants/yams is the route i prefer to take. I usually start up my kegs in middle of spring and totally ignore jars + im a lazy bastard that likes to do the least work for the most profit. And imho the most work playing with a controller (wasn't that annoying with KB/M) is harvesting *cough* And after a summer with ~300 hops plants im usually like "nope, im done here, now i'll let the game work for me" ^^

• Honeywell

You get three harvests of pumpkins - and all 13 day crops - with deluxe speed grow (they take 9 days, not 10). My math is correct which makes pumpkins the better option, not cranberries. In my opinion, of course.

• Shoukry

Shoukry Big Damn Hero

This. Deluxe Speed-Gro makes everything better.

Processing a third of the amount of Pumpkins as Cranberries in the Fall makes for happier farmers. You'll also get your gold Pumpkins without trying, especially now with the farming xp fix in 1.2 (haven't played since it released, so I'm only assuming it works), and, more likely than not, you'll be waiting on a Pumpkin for your Fall Crops Bundle anyway so why bother planting superfluous amounts of Parsnips in Spring when Potatoes and Strawberries are better uses of energy for both gold and xp? Is your time and energy worth twice the effort for half the gain? Or, in the case of Cranberries, thrice the effort for a ~1% gain?

Honeywell likes this.
                          • ShneekeyTheLost

Oh hey, looks like it's that time in our programming: Mythbusting!

Deluxe Speed Gro will NOT get you a third pumpkin yield, unfortunately.

13 day / 1.25 = 10.4. Even if you round down to 10 days, you still don't get a third harvest. Sorry.

Which means pumpkin's seasonal yield is 1,932g which is less than 2,800g that Cranberries have.

And if you get a large crop, you've just screwed yourself over by locking yourself out of your quality crop bundle until the following year because they are always guaranteed to be normal quality, if you are relying on them.

You have the whole winter to process your cranberries, so you need fewer jars than you might think. 30 jars is entirely reasonable.

Personally, quality crop bundles I go for are Parsnip, Corn, and Melon for the following reasons:

Parsnips have a short growth time. You can spam out 40 of them and in 4 days, spam 4 more. With the right timing, you can get your 5 gold-star quality parsnips before the egg festival.
                            Corn you only need around 8-16 because you have two growing seasons to get the star crops in
                            Melons sell for almost as much as blueberries, so your profit loss is marginal, assuming you have no means of processing them. Since this is your first year, it is doubtful that you will. After your first year, starfruit crushes everything else in the field.

• Honeywell

You get three harvests from 13 day crops using deluxe speed grow... my LP if anyone wants "proof" (rhubarb, starfruit and pumpkins are/will be my cash crops this year).

Last edited: May 1, 2017
                              • Shoukry

Shoukry Big Damn Hero

13 grow days x 0.75 grow time = 9.75 grow days

CA also made it round down.

27 growing days / 9 grow days = 3 harvests.

Less snark. More play.

Honeywell and Lilliput like this.
                                • Magistrella

Just tried it out in one of my saves and yupp he did. Since when is it rounded down rather then rounded up? Could've gotten me an extra pumpkin harvest yesterday, darn it xD

In my first two playthroughs i tested all the crops in the greenhouse and just assumed it stayed that way as i haven't seen a change mentioning speed grow in the patch notes x.x

This changes A LOT. Especially making summer 50% more profitable on starfruit and autumn fully taken over by my lovely pumpkins >;3 Not to mention the extra harvests on all the crops that had growing days outside of 5 or 10 days

mwahaha~

/Edit: Just went through my list with fixed values. Hops will give a profit of 7840/slot/summer and starfruits will have a profit of 8170/slot/summer when using speed grow deluxe - now my lazy farming days are the most profitable outside of the greenhouse xD

Last edited: May 1, 2017
                                  • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I can confirm the deluxe speedgrow can net you 3 pumpkin harvests if you can get them all down on day one. I did that on my own save because I needed like SO MANY PUMPKINS to make pickled pumpkin and pumpkin juice. :rofl:

• Magistrella

*bumpedibump*

Im working on a spreadsheet that will give you all sorts of Data depending on the preferred output. I just finished the first data sets for spring crops and kegs, but since i never did share a document, that had dropdown options, with others i'd like to test functionality.

The only anyone should be able to do is using the dropdown Menu in the upper left corner to choose the crop. The sheet does all the math itself

If anyone cared to try it out, much obliged ^^

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QF0ZjGERtn327CY6bI56-P0mgjKKMxIDG-3THWCq7ZA/edit?usp=sharing