Iridium Galore: Skull Cavern Floor 345

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dannvy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

After some contemplation and a little bit of boredom on what to do next in Stardew Valley I decided to see what would happen in extremely deep levels of the Skull Cavern, since the current patch: v1.05 has a significant increase in Iridium chance every 10 floors I wanted to test how much this was, the results are seen in the screenshots below.

How: Staircases. Lots and lots of staircases. This was done by buying 33 stacks of 999 stone from Robin's store which comes out to a grand total of 659,340g. Keep in mind that I left 3 spaces open for my pickaxe, sword, and spot to place the staircase after crafting. I did this to try and deal with any silly RNG that would happen while traversing floors such as rocks or enemies spawning near me right as I reach the new floor. The rest is pretty self explanatory, reach a new floor, craft a couple staircases, and see how far we go.

In the end, pretty fun thing after having a loss of what to do. Got to floor 345 would love to see how far someone else could get though.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blitzs and Yusuke Urameshi like this.
    • Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

Would it be fair to call that an iridium infestation?

Kittenykat, Thorin and Dannvy like this.
      • Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

I think that infestation is a understatement. Past floor 200 you start seeing around 4-7 Iridium on screen each time you reach the next floor.

• Indigo Rose

Indigo Rose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you start getting more iridium than regular stones, I feel it's gotten a little bit out of hand...

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Note to self...prepare to do this so I can upgrade my things! :rofl:

Though...fighting the big purple slimes that often break off into the little ones seems to also be giving me iridium ore in 1-3 piece bits fairly commonly thus far...so...yay for that, heh. =x

ALMOST far enough to get either my first tool to iridium level~ Heh. :rofl:

• Sharkivore

Sharkivore Astral Cartographer

Good god. I thought I was doing something when I made it to floor 100 and was getting around 1 vein per floor. I knew it probably got ridiculous later on, but holy crap that's a lot of iridium.

Floor 1000+ is probably just rooms packed top to bottom with iridium. Room is probably made of iridium. Player becomes iridium.

rmd64, Silvador, curi0 and 3 others like this.
              • Deleth

Deleth Space Penguin Leader

Sure, but that's likely because he never expected anyone to really make the effort and go down all that way. The same as I doubt he expected people to fill their entire farm with kegs or worse nothing bot bee hives. CA managed to make a great game but from what I understand this is kinda his first real game. Thus he never had to deal with players going to work on his creation. I've seen a lot of both flattering and unflattering comparisons made when it comes to gamers and their inventiveness when it comes to what they can do with games, often times completely out of the range of expectations the devs initially had. :D

• Indigo Rose

In case anyone's curious, I did some basic memory editing just to check what it's like on the really low floors. At around floor 900 you basically get whole floors with nothing but iridium on them.

[​IMG]

Like so.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

....Wonder what the melting point of iridium and if being that low would be hot enough to require a bucket instead of a pickaxe.

• Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

Now THAT is the dream right there.

• Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

That would be hilarious. I just wonder how far someone could go by using legitimate means because obviously going this far was quite a stretch with a near full inventory of 999 stone.

• Sharkivore

Sharkivore Astral Cartographer

I knew it. You should see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Try floor 5000.

• Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

Floor 666 should just be almost an entire floor of lava and you are on a tiny rock with a ladder up and there is a down stair island somewhere where you will need a lot of food to heal yourself to get there. The 667th's floor? A SV version of CA's house and his avatar.

• Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

CA's secret den? We must now search for what must not be seen.

• Indigo Rose

You want to know how deep the mines go? Fine. They go this deep:

[​IMG]

If you try to set your floor count higher than this, it overflows and displays a negative number. And if you actually try to go deeper using a staircase, the game crashes. The reason for this is that your floor value keeps counting after the 120 floors in the normal mines, so floor one in the desert mines is actually mine floor 121 and so forth (this is why in older versions you could glitch your way into the desert mines from floor 120 of the regular mines), so this floor has floor value 2147483647, which is the largest possible 32-bit number.

What I think is kinda cute is that the floor count graphic just gets longer and longer as you proceed...

curi0 likes this.
                                • Dannvy

Dannvy Master Chief

Wow haha, went above the calling on this one. CA should of just put a sign or something at the lowest floor saying, "What are you doing down here?" I still would like to see what's the deepest someone has gotten with just resources within the game though.

Silvador likes this.
                                  • Teien

Teien Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh wow, time to farm ores then!

• yeaimemi

yeaimemi Space Spelunker

I'm at level 405 & still haven't encountered this. :(

• Teien

Teien Subatomic Cosmonaut

How do you guys manage to get that far down before midnight? :eek: I have tons of the biggest bombs and blast everything, I'm not getting further down than 50..

• Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

Lots and lots of staircases and modding.

You know, after reading this thread, I have this image in my mind now of Leonidas and the Persian messenger in the Skull Cave

"This is madness!"
                                          "Madness? THIS. IS. THE SKULL CAVE!" *boots messenger down a hole to floor two hundred thousand and whatever*

Dannvy likes this.