Digital Iot's art bleps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iot, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Iot

Iot Space Hobo

With 1.0 right around the corner, it seems high time to post Starbound related art old and new here to the forums. Most of these are rough, loose sketches, all in good fun.
    As there are several pictures all in a row, I'll put them behind spoilers for sake of loading ease.

Art blog, for those who may want to take a peek at the things I do beyond Starbound:
    http://artofiotid.tumblr.com/

Back when flying rats never stopped harassing my characters.

A hylotl, not my character.

A favorite cardinal-inspired avian of mine.

Hylotl and avian talking over books.

Damaged ship assessment.

Bored cardinal stuck in space.

This time, an avian in yellow.

Ol' silver-blue novakid lawmen have a certain sort of panache.

The character I'll be making for 1.0, you guessed it, another avian. This'n will be based off a red tailed hawk.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Lodish, Arra, julamad and 3 others like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

HALY SHIET ANOTHER F*CKING BRILLIANT ARTIST!
    Welcome to the art threads mate! :rofl:

3. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Dang, these are amazing! I love it!

4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

dayyyuumm... . nice artworks! hope to see more from you!

5. Iot

Iot Space Hobo

[​IMG]

Izti — no, Star Catcher, now. Star Catcher reflected on the violent circumstance that brought him to this world, so green. Green lands, green skies, resources negligible. Betrayal, twice over. They left him for dead here, his prized ship in the hands of those he had trusted.

But, he gripped his stolen matter manipulator, brushed the crystal that housed a shard of his ship’s S.A.I.L, and swore in his blackening heart that not even their precious Kluex would save them.

Reblog, don't repost! http://artofiotid.tumblr.com/post/147840575984/starbound-avian-captain-izti

6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I can never do beautiful bgs like this. Nice work!

7. Jareix Cryvix

Oh Man! How do you do backgrounds like that? I've seen this technique before, but could never figure it out.

8. Iot

Iot Space Hobo

For this, the background was on two layers: Started with a dark blue to pale green gradient, and painted the foreground and clouds directly onto it (oops - that made things harder. I should have done the mountains in back first!)
    [​IMG]

Sadly I didn't think to snag progress shots, but can at least show you the two background layers separated. All of the grass, leaves, and all are just mucking around with texture brushes and brown-grey-green colors until it looked about right. No real process besides "I'm gonna throw more green on there! And some brown on top of that green! And some yellowy green on top of that!" Though I was minding lighting and atmospheric perspective a bit - everything is backlit, so the foreground would be darker save where grass or leaves caught the light, and the foreground has stronger contrast than everything farther back in space.
    [​IMG]

The mountains in the back were added kind of as an afterthought with a quick couple brushstrokes and just erased out from behind the tree and foreground hill, I didn't try to think too deep on form and shape.
    [​IMG]

Firepaw Da Cat, Lodish, Arra and 3 others like this.
  9. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Thanks for the info! I might try doing Bgs like this in the future. xD

10. Jareix Cryvix

For "mucking about", that's seriously impressive!

11. Arra

Arra The End of Time

I feel inadequate about my sketches now..... Jeez man...your art is.... awe-inspiring

12. Iot

Iot Space Hobo

Ahh, it's just time and practice. Don't feel inadequate! Even as little as 10 or 15 minutes a day trying to do this or that, exercising those creative muscles, can lead to learning a great deal without realizing you're doing so. Keep sketching! :D

Arra and Crossfang like this.