1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Resolved (IOException) could not create directory '.\../storage_unstable/', 183

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Cirom, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

That an explanatory enough title for ya? ;D 'Tis better than saying "mysterious crash", that's for sure! ;D

[​IMG]

This error only seems to happen when "/Starbound/storage_unstable" *exists* - on the initial bootup, where "/Starbound/storage_unstable" does NOT exist, the game boots up fine (as I'm guessing, the first time it CAN create the directory), however, after the first time - the directory already exists. The game tries to create the directory when it's already there.. and fails. And crashes.

At least, that's what I think is happening.

2. timmer14

timmer14 Void-Bound Voyager

Try to give your storage_unstable folder read and write permission by unchecking the "read-only" in the folder properties. I also am having this issue but i am attempting another solution atm and do not want to mess that one up just in case it works lol.

sid3aff3ct likes this.
  3. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, no. Already tried that (and even tried it again, doublechecking if it was the problem) - that doesn't work.[DOUBLEPOST=1419025350][/DOUBLEPOST]An update which literally just happened has fixed this glitch.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. timmer14

timmer14 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the edit :)

5. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Another, possibly related issue: My character files still exist in the /player folder, but don't show in the game's character selection screen.

6. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, this is related. Move "/Starbound/player" to "/Starbound/storage_unstable/player" to resume using the same characters.

7. Sonora

Sonora Title Not Found

This doesn't work for me.

Edit: (Part of the log)
    Error: Failed to load metadata file .\../storage_unstable\player\b30075bdbeac82a9644d9d8c5b26c27a.metadata : (VersioningDatabaseException) Could not bring versionedVariant with identifier 'PlayerMetadata' and version Just (1) forward to current version of 2, best version was 1
    Error: Error loading player file, ignoring! .\../storage_unstable\player\b30075bdbeac82a9644d9d8c5b26c27a.player : (VersioningDatabaseException) Could not bring versionedVariant with identifier 'PlayerEntity' and version Just (1) forward to current version of 2, best version was 1

8. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, yeah. That doesn't seem to work, I guess that the Nightlies had a wipe - especially given the nature of that error. Ah, that's unfortunate!

9. sid3aff3ct

sid3aff3ct Void-Bound Voyager

I had this error as well and I don't know what to do because i want to play on my development character. If i delete the folder then put the character in after it launches he doesn't show up.

Heartstrings likes this.
  10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Closing as OP has resolved their problem. If the specific fix they posted did not work for you, then you're probably experiencing a different issue and you should open your own thread. Please ensure you post specifics like game version, screenshots of any error messages, and a copy of your starbound.log to aid in troubleshooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.