Modding Help Installing mods onto a server

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Scythel, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Scythel

Scythel Void-Bound Voyager

Hi.
    I'm extremely tired of the stressful hitching, lag, and game freezes that come with Hosting via steam and are looking into hosting a server in hope that the aggravating issues there won't exist if I just have a server set up.

With that said, all I ask is simple: How do I take the steam workshop mods I've got installed and put them into the server?

Everything I looked up was either outdated or drowned in misinformation, so, no, please don't just link me to something a year old and assume it'll work because it won't, I've tried. Ideally I'd like someone who got this to work to help me out here 'cuz they'd have experience.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There are ways. None of which are ideal. You would want to get the actual content of the mods and manually place them in the starbound mods folder so Steam would be unnecessary, but then it wont auto-update, which would probably be a good thing for version control.

First way would be to add the steam directory that the mods are downloaded to, to your server's sbinit.config file. There are posts already telling how to do this. Mods will only update if you run steam along with it.

Other way is to go to the folder that mods get installed to and just copy all the mods to the game's mods folder manually like normal mods. Again, no auto-updating, but you can make it part of your tasks to copy the mods over from time to time as you need for version control.

3. Scythel

I did this
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/steam-workshop-mods-on-dedicated-server.127846/
    But it still isn't quite working.
    https://gyazo.com/1b909cd3fb77637a74a1946eac3b043e
    It still isn't loading mod assets.

4. lazarus78

That looks like a mod issue.

Otherwise just copying the mods over will work just fine

5. Scythel

How exactly do I trade mods over manually?

6. lazarus78

Should be in ..\steamapps\workshop\content\211820. It will be filled with folders named with random numbers. You can literally just copy those folders to your mods folder and they will load like normal mods.

7. Scythel

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but even that didn't work

8. Scythel

Yeah it's been almost 10 hours of me working on this I even edited every mod into the config and that didn't work either. The last thing to try is to just download them from the Chucklefish mod forums but I don't feel like doing that right now because I'm tired and pretty sure it's not gonna work either.

But I just wanted to say that I appreciate the help you gave anyway