Tutorial Installing mods for Starbound 1.0

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceNinjaNate

SpaceNinjaNate Space Hobo

Hello, I must have missed a small step in here, so I'd appreciate any help that can be given.

I downloaded 3 mods and I've tried each one individually, so the problem must be me. I start the game and it doesn't show the mod listed in red text at the lower right hand corner.
    Mods: XS Mech, New/Rebalanced Tenants and USS Polaris.
    I have placed the .modinfo files in the mods folder, like so.

starbound/giraffe_storage/mods
    (folder) mod_xsmech
    mods_go_here
    pak.modinfo

And then I tried this mod...

(folder) New Tenants
    mods_go_here
    New Tenants.modinfo

and this mod...

(folder) Rebalanced Tenants
    mods_go_here
    Rebalanced Tenants.modinfo

And these two...

(folder) Rebalanced Tenants addon
    mods_go_here
    Rebalanced Tenants addon.modinfo

--------

(folder) USS Polaris 1.6a beta
    mods_go_here
    USS Polaris.modinfo

These are not the zip folders that were created. Once you open one of the folders, it looks like this
    starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/mod_xsmech
    (folder) animations
    (folder) items
    (folder) objects
    (folder) particles
    (folder) projectiles
    (folder) quests

etc...

I start the game and it doesn't show the mod listed in red text at the lower right hand corner. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    SNN

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Move the modinfo files into the mod folders... Why did you take them out of the mod folders in the first place?

lazarus78 likes this.
  3. SpaceNinjaNate

Clearly, I misunderstood the instructions. I blame it on too much schoolwork.

Brilliant, it works. Thank you Mackinz.
    Is that Torchic?

4. Mackinz

I believe the tutorial says nothing about moving the modinfo file, so how you got confused enough to do that is... strange.

Yes. I am the resident Torchic fanatic of these forums.

5. SpaceNinjaNate

Fire types are king.
    After installing a mod a new character must be started, yes? And for a mod to be used in a server, it needs to be added to the server files?

6. Mackinz

For your mods, a new character should not be necessary. However, if you intend to uninstall the mods then you will likely need to get rid of the NPC tenants added by the mods and ensure that there are no mod-added mechs standing around.

And yes, that is the case for multiplayer servers. Clients connecting to the server need to also have the mods installed. Cosmetic mods such as those in the Character Improvements category work independently of the server on a client and do not need to be installed on the server.

7. Impux_

Impux_ Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,
    since the giraffe update none of my mods work anymore even though I downloaded them for giraffe and placed them in the right folder.
    I unziped the folders individually and placed them in the mods-folder just like in the description. I tried all of them one by one but they don't work anymore.
    Do you have any clues what the problem might be? For koala, there was a Mod Manager where you had to install all mods to make them work. Is there anyting like that for giraffe, too?

Thanks for your help

8. Mackinz

Don't use Extract for mods. You probably have unnecessary folders as a result that are preventing the game from recognizing your mods. As always, if a mod is installed properly then it should have its modinfo file at /Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/*mod folder name*/*modinfo name*.modinfo . If the modinfo file is anywhere else, you did not install the mod properly.

In addition, mods are insanely easy to install without a mod manager, so you really don't need one.

9. Nebuleous

Nebuleous Orbital Explorer

I have done this process of adding them in 1 by 1 into my game but my games ISN'T wanting to cooperate with me... the mods i have installed into my games have worked before but aren't working now

10. Nebuleous

But i had used the Extract function and it worked but not anymore

11. Mackinz

You probably have excess folders blocking the game from recognizing your mods. Follow the guides instructions please.

12. Nebuleous

i was and i have done this before

13. boshy-stalker

boshy-stalker Void-Bound Voyager

buy a pc with windows 7/8/8.1 or 10 and read the instructions again

14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I probably should have done this earlier, I updated the tutorial to include the video instead of the image.
    Should become a lot more clear now for many people.

15. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

mods are no-longer being recognised at all under starbound - unstable/mods AND starbound - unstable/giraffe_storage/mods (tried both)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  16. The | Suit

Just tested it - works fine in starbound / mods

Capture.JPG

17. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

apologies, i meant starbound - unstable/mods
    i'm playing nightly

[​IMG]

18. The | Suit

Nightly randomly breaks time to time.
    You should go to unstable - it has been recently updated from what I understand.

19. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

think last time they moved to unstable as opposed to nightly was back in february, wasn't it?
    or maybe march. or something
    xD
    before all the cool(and some not so cool -coughtoolbarcough-) changes were made

20. The | Suit

Well not everyone will agree with every change - it sort of how life is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.