Insects and Arachnids and the like

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stonetribe, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Stonetribe

Stonetribe Aquatic Astronaut

Hey, glad to see this thread generating some more interest! As per the request on insects who make their homes in wood, here's a highlight I wrote a while ago on a species of ants called Turtle Ants.

[​IMG]

Found in forested tropic and subtropic regions of the world, Turtle Ants are most well known for their very unusual caste, and an even more unusual body shape that goes with it. For those of you who aren't familiar, a caste is a particular role that certain kinds of ants fulfill. I suppose the most well known example of a caste are soldier and worker ants. Saying "worker ants" is actually kind of generalizing the term. Castes that could fit this could include food gatherers, young caretakers, colony diggers, or even ants that tend to the wounds of others. Anyways, getting back to Turtle Ants, they don't dig and live in colonies underground but rather they like to inhabit tunnels in logs and trees left by wood boring beetles. This presents a problem though, because the ants have no control over the number of entrances to the colony. Because of this, they evolved a very specific caste that make use of large soldiers who posses thick, disk like heads. It may sound absurd, but these ants will use their large heads to plug up the entrances of their colonies, keeping out intruders and allowing entrance only to other colony members.

2. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

that ant is much cuter than the ants that invade my flat

3. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Looks like it should be a pokemon. Go Turmyrma

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

I really dont know why bu i find insects that make their homes in wood really interesting
    EDIT: Speaking of insects, im being swarmed by mosquitos right now

5. Stonetribe

Stonetribe Aquatic Astronaut

Ah, sorry about the absence guys. Have a highlight on Ogre Faced Spiders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Judging from the pictures above, you might have guessed where the Ogre Faced Spider gets it's name. With two of its eyes being especially large and possessing noticeable fangs, it certainly brings to mind vicious monsters of myth. Ogre Faced Spiders can be found in the tropical regions of South America, Africa and Australia, and in the warmer parts of the U.S. Their bodies typically range in length of around 22mm and have a leg span of about 4 times that. Their coloration is usually a brownish gray meant to compliment their twig like legs and help them blend into the trees and sticks that they prefer to hang around.

The Ogre Faced Spider doesn't stand out because of it's appearance alone though. Ogre Faced Spiders and their close relatives posses a unique and fascinating method of catching prey that has not been observed by any other group of spiders. Ogre Faced Spiders are nocturnal predators who hide away during the day, but they don't spin traditionally large webs meant to catch flying insects. Rather they spin smaller, temporary platforms that they use to anchor themselves more than anything. From there, they begin constructing the real web that they'll use to capture prey. They don't attach this web to stationary branches around them though. No, what the Ogre faced spider does is that through and elaborate and intricate weaving process, spins a net like web that it holds in it's four foremost legs! Then it waits for a suitable meal to wonder by. Once their pray walks, or flys, close enough, they stretch out the net to about 2 or 3 times it's size. Then, like a fisherman or even a roman gladiator, the Ogre Faced Spider casts the web net onto it's intended target! It quickly entangles and wraps it's prey, immobilizing it before it has time to react and fight back. With it's food incapacitated, the Ogre Faced Spider proceeds to consume it like most other spiders, injecting digestive enzymes to liquify the innards before sucking them up.

Aside from they're incredible method of hunting pray, another remarkable aspect about Ogre Faced Spiders are their remarkable night vision. Having any kind of decent eye sight in general is somewhat odd in of itself as most spiders posses poor vision and rely on other senses like feeling vibrations. On their two enlarged eyes lies a special layer of cells that are incredibly sensitive to light. Exactly how sensitive? Every dawn, this membrane of cells as actually destroyed when exposed to day light! Not to worry though, it will form again once the sun goes down and night comes. It's because of these super sensitive eyes that allows the Ogre Faced Spider to see so well in the dark. In fact, It's believed that Ogre Faced Spiders have better night vision than humans, cats, and even owls!

He's a video showcasing the Ogre Faced Spider in action. Just try to ignore the cheesy sound effects as best you can.

dtanotrew and Mackinz like this.
  6. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found an injured cicada when I went on a walk the other night and felt really bad for it, tried to take care of it until it got better. Sadly it seems I was too late and the little guy didn't make it. Exoskeleton was bent inwards and I really don't know if fixing such a thing is possible.

I still feel like I could have done something better, and it's sort of haunting me. Must be what a doctor feels like when they lose a patient.

[​IMG]

7. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Don't feel too bad. It may have been at the end of it's cycle. Basically, they come out, eat everything, breed, lay their eggs, and die. It's the end of August, and that is when I start noticing dead ones. Then the tarantula's start to move and eat the carcus. Circle of life.