1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Infinite sales and infinite purchasing power.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The | Suit, May 24, 2015.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Though being able to sell items is a great boon to the game.
    The biggest issue is the stores have infinite purchasing power. It removes the need to explore to find merchant variants so once you find one merchant you're set for life.

Excessive pixel accumulation will become a much larger issue unless an appropriate pixel trap is not made to counteract the issue.

Merchants purchasing power should be randomized at first spawn as well as its refresh rate which would require you to find an ideal merchant.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

On paper that does sound like a good idea but given the sheer volume of trash one can accumulate after one run, you'd be stuck having to visit multiple merchants to empty your stock before being able to go back to exploring. I can see that pissing off a lot of people. I am guessing you got this idea from games like Witcher 2 and 3?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Chrillzilla and DrgnKakashi like this.
  3. The | Suit

Many games employee it - right now starbound seems like it wants ti circle around 2 separate economies.
    3D printing economy. and Material Economy.

With expensive 3D printing they hope that will be a sufficient enough pixel trap to counter balance the excessive pixel gain.
    But the issue comes where people are not interested in making buildings since there really isn't much a purpose in doing so currently.

There needs to be a non 3D printer based pixel trap
    The limitations in merchants would control that - as you would end up looking for merchants with larger wallets.

Mackinz likes this.
  4. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

What happens when a player spawns like 7 merchants in their home or uses an Avian town which had like 7 merchants as well?

5. The | Suit

Those would probably have to be a standard type merchant.
    The merchants I am referencing would have to be randomly generated on planets only.

It would both encourage exploration as well as as give a reason to return to specific planets.

The MechE likes this.
  6. Boufman

Boufman Black Hole Surfer

So, like the Skyrim merchant system? That would be pretty neat.

Lintton likes this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Vendors could also sell items that they would only sell for a limited amount of time, and which would be easily better or more useful than the other items that they would sell, such as food vendors sometimes selling foods a few tiers above the rest, and weapon vendors sometimes selling up to rare weapons sort of like the Item of the day mechanic in Borderlands 2, which would act as a pixel trap because it would be more likely for the player to buy it due to the possibility of not being able to buy that item again in a long time.

The | Suit likes this.
  8. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Fallout 3 had a nice way of balancing merchants.
    Merchants only carried so much money with them, and that number was displayed to the player, so s/he had to be careful to buy/sell on what the merchant could afford.

9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

@xxswatelitexx That reminds me of the other game I am currently playing... Elona. The merchants in that game due have a defined amount of currency, although quite high when lower level.

I rather like the idea, although like other pointed out; may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I think if it was done there would be a difference between spawned in merchants, renting merchants, and ones you find. Not neccesarily 3 types, but more or less 2 in the sense the admin would be for the first type, and that would be for testing purposes. There money's would refresh every so often, like if you left to planet to go to another one, not just beam up to the ship. Well it is an idea anyway.

Really though I don't mind either way, long as I can build what I want in the game.:)

10. DrgnKakashi

DrgnKakashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I play on the "Nightly" build, and have been using the terra-mart merchant to sell to. Having a pixel limit on the merchants seems like it would hurt the game, as you have to hold onto stuff for a much longer period of time, till they restocked

I mainly run the lunar base and floran missions back to back and get an average of 3000 pixels or more each trip, and being able to sell the loot helps even more.

Right now on the nightly build you can sell most the junk and weapons at a 1 for 1 rate, so it's not really worth selling those. On the other hand, the food and decorative items sell for a lot of pixels, Farming is very lucrative and cooking even more so.

To be honest, I cap glitched Fallout 3 and New Vegas to negate the money issue. Waiting in-game for three days for them to restock was even better since it took 24 seconds to wait an entire day away.

11. The | Suit

That there is the biggest problem - you are literally growing money plants. It has reached a point where money has no value. They need to find more uses for money - not more ways to make money.

Mackinz likes this.
  12. DrgnKakashi

I figure the Merchant system is just a stepping stone to the economy for now. Being able to sell stuff is sweet, but I don't really like the idea of the limit on merchant moneys, since that can be bypassed by going to multiple merchants.

Either way, a player can still achieve the same goal through a ton of merchants. They can be spawned, and don't forget you can build a home for NPCs and collect rent from them too.

NerArth likes this.
  13. The | Suit

Making a house for NPC's is a bit harder - since you are forced to explore and collect items to gain certain NPC's. So at least for NPC rent there is a legitimate effort required by the player before money can be collected.

Farming on the other hand is simply planting on the ground and collecting interest.
    If a mechanic can be bypassed through exploitation - it doesn't matter.
    The mechanic it self should not itself be an exploit on the other hand.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Mackinz likes this.
  14. DrgnKakashi

I think I heard that they planned to add a Combat path, Farming path, and Colonizing path. These might even out the income down the road.

Food does take time to grow and stockpiling a ton of it to sell to market and is that much more rewarding.

I play Single Player and haven't really jumped on any servers, But I would have to say that once I obtained the P.P.P. that being able to create cheap lights on the fly for underground exploration helped out a lot.

The cost of the Triple P building materials adds up when you're trying to build a bigger base.

Plus you can compress said pixels for your other characters too to help them get started :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Like many other mechanics in this game, currently, its just a placeholder, but I do agree, that vendors should be balanced, with selling restricted to interest and available gold.

Though honestly, I would quite like to hoard a enormous amount of money to just research new Tech, maybe Develop the Outpost?

Investment in the Outpost, maybe new Mechs, or just plain Colony Template purchasing, where ya just pay a certain amount, and then they just deep strike a colony of your liking and theme in it.

Just some thoughts, with this new acessibility of income, new options should come for those who want something to do with the new mountains of cash.

DrgnKakashi likes this.
  16. ycfc

ycfc Void-Bound Voyager

What about merchant sell price being linked to race and location: Selling a bit of corn to a glitch on a grass planet with lots of corn and you get very very little. Sell the corn to a human on an Ice world and it goes for a premium?
    Therefore you have to export to other planets. Basically set up lucrative trade routes.
    The caveat being that farming would then have to be linked to environment so you cant grow corn in ice. To create a greenhouse for producing corn on an ice planet I think would be deemed enough effort to earn your higher margins.

At the risk of going off topic if plants in general required more care to produce - Temperature, Sunlight, water, protection of pests etc. etc. then they would earn their right to be more valuable commodities.

17. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

My suggestion:
    Create several categories of merchants each offering different prices and multitudes of items they are willing to buy:
    1. The specialized merchants. Think town market/shop merchants, or those random simply merchants you encounter in the wild. Will only buy and sell only certain items, like vanity clothing, or fruit and vegetables. The prices are moderate but still notably smaller than the average market price.
    2. The junk buyer. Player settlements should have this as one of first merchants, and some of randomly encountered or settlement merchants can qualify for this too, if they offer a wide array of items. Buys absolutely anything you can say, but at extremely low prices. Great for getting rid of misc junk, or just dumping stuff, but not the best option when earning pixels is a priority.
    3. The rarity collector. Works both as player town and randomly encountered merchant. Is interested only in certain type of items, like decorations of a certain aesthetic, or certain weapons, or something like that. Sells a few items of similar type, and some related to them items, like apex lab blocks if it's interested in apex lab furniture/decorations, or cakes and other complex foods if they are interested in ingredients. Willing to buy similar items, and at the best price you could expect to sell them. The interface description/subtitle in the selling menu, and the NPC introduction upon approach mention what sort of items the collector is interested in. You know, "Greetings, traveler! I'm willing to buy [aesthetic/race/material] artifacts if you have any!".
    4. Super rare summoned merchants. These require a certain consumable item, or triggering a one-time object that disappears afterwards. Think like those monoliths you can find cultists guarding sometimes. They offer some rare items and buy everything or almost everything at extremely profitable price, but if you walk too far away from them, or teleport back to your ship, they will vanish and you will have to acquire or discover another object to summon one of these with.

18. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

What do people do with pixels in this game? I mostly make cheap lights.

I guess I don't see the need for a pixel-sink, or limited selling, until there's some way to become powerful by having lots of pixels.

NerArth and DrgnKakashi like this.
  19. DrgnKakashi

Yeah cheap lights is the way to go right now :D

20. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

my idea is that if you sell enough of one type of item the price of all items with that same label goes down for that merchant (to a minimum of course)
    and merchants should have different interests, so a hylotl would buy hylotl stuff at a higher price but floran stuff for almost nothing (hes not going to PAY for that crap) this could give a bigger sense of the world being alive and the races having various opinions about each other

shannyxvx and Mackerel II like this.