1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Inevitable collapse of the 'Economy'

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ViewedCloth, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid

Vivid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah, making money was easy if you had the right statues

2. MrAwesome

MrAwesome Star Wrangler

I would like a real economy system, like a government in some planets that had taxes and all that.
    I don't think the game's going to have the same problem because like you said it's the same person making the game, thus not making the same mistakes he did in the past

3. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

Wuuuut?? In terraria reforge muramasa cost many gold, and other endgame items too. So u need many hours to gold farm, ore use server clon many times. Thats all economy in terraria. First of all this is craft, for economy go to anno 2070

4. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

Metric pixels? I like it. :up:

5. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I'm guessing, just guessing, that the main source we'll get our money from will be quests and rare treasure. That way theres some more balance and "farming" for pixels won't be worth it.

6. Earl of Doom

Earl of Doom Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps there will be things that act as a continual or long-term drain on our pixels. i.e Paying hired crew members on a regular basis.

DeVoid likes this.
  7. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

Space pirates could raid the ship, thus resulting in them taking some of our pixels - with the amount depending on how well the player fought them off?

TheSilentObserver likes this.
  8. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

MMH!
    I like it.

9. DemonlordHatty

DemonlordHatty Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe it'll be like real economy? In which you can't have more than a certain amount of money unless it is backed by some sort of material?

10. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Well, I'd think that'd be our only source of money. I doubt that mobs will drop money, but maybe.

Also, if the economy was like real life, than I'd never play this game.

11. DemonlordHatty

DemonlordHatty Void-Bound Voyager

Meh, it was worth discussing. :p

12. Krabby

Krabby Title Not Found

I'm kind of hoping the money system will be like MMO's but better, mainly the part where, sure you can grind for money, but its much easier to take quests and find rare items to sell, either to another player or an NPC. By better I mean, make it so it makes sense for the money to come from killing something.

13. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

I wanna be a space pirate! That'd be an awesome way to make pixels... parting folks from their hard-earned loot!

Preferably with a frilly shirt. A lizard-head pirate in a frilly shirt. Imagine that for a moment, if you will

14. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Money Sinks.

Edit to explain: Just useless things that cost X amount of money, that serve really no advantage in the game. Maybe buying ship customizing items, maybe NPCs that can change your appearance, frivolous things like that.

So even IF it becomes stupidly easy to make money, people will spend most of it on generally "Useless" things.

15. Tardisphere

Tardisphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think there'll be a problem with the economy in this.

As for the joke:

[​IMG]

16. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't hope for that. Isn't it fun to be looking for money, to afford the next item instead of having everything in just 2 hours? It would ruin the game for me :/

17. Sky

Sky Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe have some economy going on that is real-time affected by all the players in Starbound?
    Perhaps, no farming possibilities for grinding in Starbound etc. and that should prevent a lot for the economy to collapse.

18. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

Fuel. Ammo (as in MAC gun ammo and nuclear missiles). Crew. SPACE STATION COMPONENTS.
    Pardon me if I seem poor, but those don't strike me as being inexpensive, exactly.
    I think there will be things we can't make. For those, we will have to spend. Oh, will we spend....

19. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING???? GAMES ARE NOT REALISTIC????????

Crimson likes this.
  20. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

They're just wondering how monsters on never-before explored prehistoric planets can be carrying modern currency.
    It's a good point. It probably won't be considered, and may even be played at for the lulz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.