Modding Help Increase/modify swoosh of a broadsword that is larger than vanilla ones

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Lazy Joe, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm making a broadsword with custom sprite, it's a bit larger than the vanilla ones, but the swoosh is still the same size, and it just looks bad that a bigger sword cant actually hit anything with its tip because the swoosh doesnt reach that far.

how can i fix that?

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

the swoosh doesnt actually define what the broadsword hits does it? I think that is in the damageArea. If you want to make the swoosh bigger though, edit the swoosh file.

3. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

The reach of the weapon is defined by the .weaponability file. The broadsword combo is a weapon ability just like the secondary attacks. You can probably build off of the normal weapon combo and the animation for it easily to accommodate for you weapons larger appearance.

4. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Sorry to say, but the damage area of melee weapon's is determined by the animation file under "partStates", the parameter is called "damageArea".

If you turn on debugging (by typing "/debug" in the command line), you can see the hitbox when you swing that weapon, useful for editing weapons.

As for the swoosh, just make a new one that fits the sword. Png file usually called "*weapon name*swoosh".

5. Zmyfarka

Zmyfarka Void-Bound Voyager

I got here by accident looking some custom weapon info but what I read here is a heresy :D

Here is an example of how your swoosh is coded in animationCustom parameter:

"fire2": {
    "properties": {
    "damageArea": [[-4,1],[2.5,1],[2.5,-2],[-4,-2]],
    "image": "/items/active/weapons/melee/broadsword/swoosh2/<elementaltype>swoosh.png:<frame>?scale;1.5?something_other",
    "offset": [5,1]
    }
    },

fire2 - name of the attack in sequence
    damageArea - an array of your... damage area, the more values the more angles the area will have
    image - where your swoosh image is taken from and you can modify it here, <elementaltype> is color of your swoosh, fill here: ice, posion, fire, physical, electric, all possible types are in folder in the path to image you use
    <frame> - tag for swoosh part, in vanila they have 3 frames, if <frame> is present all 3 will be displaed but u can choose for example to show only 2nd frame (...swoosh.png:2",)
    ?scale;xx - here is where you scale swoosh size
    something_other - you can add other modificators like: ?multiply=d38a0aff?border=1;00000020;00000020?flipx?flipy?flipxy... etc
    offset - positioning of swoosh

almost 3 years after OP but someone might still find it useful