1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In-Game Modding?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jaxine, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Jaxine

Jaxine Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright, so to explain, I ended up finding out about the "Starbound Armor Generator" (https://starbound-generator.com/armor.php) and it gives you a "/spawnitem" code to copy/paste into the game. Sooooo I experimented with it and was able to make codes to generate custom armor and weapons in-game using vanilla assets.
    Here, try this in your game. Press "enter", type in /admin and copy/paste this line of text:

Code:
    /spawnitem aviantier5ahead 1 '{"shortdescription": "Super Saiyan","description" : "Achieve the next level of power!","level" : 10,"mask" : "items/armors/decorative/hats/luchador/mask.png","directives": "?replace;ffca8a=f9e79f;e0975c=f9e79f;a85636=b7950b;6f2919=b7950b;e6e6e6=f9e79f;b6b6b6=9a7d0a;7b7b7b=9a7d0a;b2e89d=f9e79f;51bd3b=b7950b;247824=f9e79f;144216=9a7d0a;"}'
    You should now be the proud owner of Super Saiyan hair, witch is simply level 10 Avian tier 5s Peacock Headdress recolored, renamed, given a new description, and makes your current hair vanish when equipping it.

So again, "What is this process called?" and "Do others see it as I do online?"

Also a side note, editing the protection, health, damage etc. on armor will cause the armor to have two sets of stat increases rather than the usual one set, and it will make the description section look all weird. Also, you can only re-color dyeable items, as far as I know. I tried a sword, no dice.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Luna Celestica likes this.
  2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Hm.

I'd just advise you to not mess around with armor's buffes too much, you wouldn't want to break your character

3. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

No name in particular, since it's an extension of /spawnitem command

Yes, because it doesn't actually modify any files (or, rather, all changes are saved within inventory itself). Beware though, if admin sees an item modified in such a way (doubly so if it has some ridiculous stats), he has every right to kick your butt off the server unless you have a good reason for it.

That's because you're most likely doing it wrong. Editing files follow roughly the same rules as .patch system, you need to follow names and structure down to a T, else it'll make an erroneous change (say, create a new set of values instead of editing already existing ones) and fail to affect item itself.

UPD : After an investigation I found out that this redactor uses older markup (to be specific, it adds flat effects - "statusEffects" - while nowadays armors use effects that scale with item level - "leveledStatusEffects") which is still readable by modern version of SB and thus causes armor to have two separate sets of characteristics (albeit they stack with each other, so there is no issue with that aside from screwy description).

Wrong again. It's just that generated items (most noticebly weapons and mobs) consist of several animation parts, and each needs to be edited separately to color it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I'd call that JSON coding

Also, you can use it for weapons

5. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

You can use it for everything.
    Do you know, for instance, that integrally upgraded craft stations (Engineer Table and Architect Table, for instance) do not exist, they're actually basic version of corresponding station (in this case, Inventor Table) with altered sprite, description and "upgradeLevel" value?

6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Do you think that's the same thing for upgraded weapons, then? :D

7. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

I do not just think, I know that. :nurucool:

8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That'll bring up interesting things

9. Jaxine

Thanks for the info, guys! how would I use it on a weapon tho?

10. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Well, it depends on what you want to do to the weapon. There are some good tutorials that focus mainly on that:

http://johnsnail.tumblr.com/post/148740112155/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-custom-items-using
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/3wnxwo/spawning_items_ingame_with_any_specs_and_looks/

And, starbounder.org has a short page on some other things you can do with it:
    http://starbounder.org/Spawn_Item_Command

Also, just a warning, if you're messing with "effectSources" then do it on a new character, not on the one that you actually use. Mistyping an effect's name can create an item that crashes your game when you mouse over it.

11. Jaxine

Thanks dude! I'll definitely check those it out. Its awesome knowing I can create stuff to share with people online, rather than adding a bunch of stuff that only you can use. I feel like a kid in a candy store with $20 right now! Or an escaped asylum psychopath in Times Square with a flamethrower!

As for messing up my character, I did that a bunch of times lol. But I just make sure to backup all my savedata. Or, just use the "dump_versioned_json.exe" method to make my .player file readable, remove the item causing the bulls**t, and reverse the version-dumping thingy so its all nice and non-glitched.

Jerln likes this.
  12. Jaxine

Well, I guess editing weapon parameters such as simple crap like damage up to more complex stuff like swing speed, cooldown and even Alt abilities number-based nonsense is all crap I can do fine. I'm having trouble with JSON Coding a weapon with custom Alt Ability Animations. I'm spawning an iron broadsword with flip slash. I want to change the sound, the particles, and the Swoosh, but all attempts have ended in death. Of creatures. (test subjects).

I need help before this planet meets its Genocide. Too lazy to fly 5 seconds to the next planet over.

13. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

There you go. Albeit I used random sword because I'm not sure whenether or not unique weapons could be edited like that.
    Code:
    /spawnitem rarebroadsword 1 '{"level":10,"altAbilityType":"flipslash","primaryAbility":{"baseDps":10,"energyUsage":25,"fireTime":1},"animationPartVariants":{"handle":34,"blade":7},"animationCustom":{"animatedParts":{"parts":{"swoosh":{"partStates":{"swoosh":{"flip":{"properties":{"image":"/items/active/weapons/melee/broadsword/swoosh/solusswoosh.png:1"}}}}}}},"sounds":{"flipSlash":["/sfx/melee/rocketspear_stop_fire.ogg"]},"particleEmitters":{"flip":{"particles":[{"particle":"fireember"},{"particle":"fireember"}]}}},"elementalType":"fire","rarity":"legendary"}'

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Jaxine likes this.
  14. Jaxine

Yeaaaa! Animationcustom! Makes sense now. Damn, i was close tho. Sucks, I lost my coding for a 4 flip further jump version lol. I remember it tho. Thanks dude, big help!

15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

16. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Ah, so that's how you do that! I tried this several months ago, but I couldn't even come close.

17. Jaxine

Basically my issue was putting the "Flipslash" code into the altAbility parameters. The mechanics like Cooldown and Damage worked, but not the Sound and Swoosh Image. The trick is to put anything regarding to "Animation" under "animationCustom" instead. Then you just gotta make sure its all grouped into the same subsection and within the right brackets.

Now changing colors... my new project. In witch I am lost.

18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Do you think it is possible to change the .lua?

19. Jaxine

Oh it is definitely possible to change/ edit the .lua. But can I make those edits through a /spawnitem command without melting my PC, my face, or the sun is the question

20. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Maybe through advanced /spawnitem