1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In a few years, should starbound get a sequel/a remake?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Brick-tac, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Brick-tac

Brick-tac Void-Bound Voyager

I would think so.

The customers would be skeptical at first, but since chucklefish have learned their ways, it would have consistent content and a better story arc/less annoying stuff in it in general. The development time would also be alot lower (worth the weight) considering chucklefish could just take and revise alot of the assets. One of the only reasons that starbound did not get compared to No Man's Sky and was actually playable was most of the stuff you would find in any other game that you would find fun - The quest that are not sidequests and require constant, frantic fighting, the melodic tunes that sound nice to the ears (The boss themes could use a little touching up) and the illusion of diversity in planets, which could be fixed.

Another thing that starbound could use some touching up for is the star systems.
    Okay, so a blue star is a frozen star, when it's one of the hottest stars there are. Let's not mention that any star that cool would have to be a really small red dwarf or a brown dwarf. I know most of the users that would be playing the game would not think twice about that, but the users buying it for the space aspect, like me, are very disapointed and annoyed at the ignorance that went into these.

For example, yellow stars (Like the one we orbit around, a G type star) are considered radioactive. It's stupid, because all stars emit amounts of radiation equal to hundreds of nuclear bombs a second. You may not be growing extra limbs and gaining the ability to communicate with dolphins through sonar, but the sun's radiation is enough to kill all life itself if the planet does not have a magnetic field or atmosphere. Even jupiter emits enough radiation to kill all life on every moon around it, so even though it's magnetic field protects them from the sun, they're much closer to a planet that would only have to have 12x it's mass to become a brown dwarf. May not sound like much, but remember, jupiter has more mass than the entire solar system combined besides the sun.

A logical remake would feature better music, better combat, and much better reasons to explore and make a base on a planet.
    The reasons to explore would be kind of like terraria's, but except you're not trapped on a planet. You can go fishing to get weapons and helpful matierials, you can commit time on a planet to learn about it's origins or get better loot for discovering the things hidden within, like a real space explorer would do. A better reason to base would be new machanics, like raids or planetary invasions. For example, florans that have hijacked a ship land on your planet and start to fight you, and as you kill more and more of them, they drop better and better loot until the lead hunter comes out as acts like a boss, which once you kill drops a very strong bow or something like that.
    This theoretical remake would also have less side quests in general. The side quests get annoying and pile up on you, and once you finish all the main quests you see how annoying they are as compared to the already slow, and laggy prebuilt missions which older computers have to slog through, and the game offers little to no actual options to help the fps.

In the end, should they make a remake or a new game entirely? The starbound name is already tarnished from the years of early access and people disagreeing with most of the things chucklefish have removed for seemingly no reason, and the removal of randomly generated weapons and randomly generated animals with a large selection of parts to choose from.

Ickura and Falz Kazuki like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I was actually thinking about this recently. I reckon it could work, assuming there's enough going on to warrant people buying it. There's a lot you can do with the game in terms of DLC and even mods, so a fully-fledged sequel would need to justify itself. I wouldn't lose sleep over astronomical realism, admittedly, but I to think things like an improved engine, better writing, more diversity of vanilla content / mechanics, deeper (and less annoying) questing and so forth would make it worthy of consideration.

Hell, it'd be worth considering just to see what's happened with the different races. I imagine that humans would have some sort of Quarian-esque civilization of ramshackle city-ships, the Apex would be in a civil war between the remnants of the fascist MiniKnog and the new rebel-established government (maybe with a 60's aesthetic to go with), the Avians would also have some sort of conflict between the Stargszers and Grounded, and the self-aware Glitch would have broken off and formed a Victorian-level society. Not sure about the Florans, Hylotl and Novakid, though. Unless a war breaks out between the former two, which might be interesting but would contradict some of the new watered-down lore about relations between the two. Beyond that, we could also see some of the NPC races become playable, too. I'd be pretty keen for some Afro-futuristic Fenerox and space-Viking Alpacas.

3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Not really, a "few" yerasis what they cna make dlc's or free updates like terraria.

For a new game they would need soemthing making it new enough. and currently I doubt you can make better graphics and keep the game run well, too many people have issues runnign the current Sb.
    Until then there is tons of room to develop on the current starbound, like additional story and stuff.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Ignorance? Perhaps. But it's a fantasy game so you can't expect it to follow reality perfectly. I mean, if you want realistic stars and star systems then do you want there to be lightyears between systems and take centuries to travel between them? Where do you draw the line on what you make realistic and what you leave to fantasy? Admittedly, I wish it was a little more interesting and true in the space aspects, like you mention, but I don't think negatively of the game because it's not. Does that make sense?

To actually answer the question, I don't see a point in a remake. They could easily achieve such things with an expansion or similar. A sequel could work, I suppose, because they wouldn't be confined to the limits they've set for themselves in the current game. CF seems to be keen on adding new content so who knows what the base game will be like after another year. Not to mention mods. Frackin' Universe comes to mind. That's basically like an expansion in itself. With so many mods available I don't see a point in remaking Starbound. But now I'm repeating myself.

5. naprettor

naprettor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While it is possible to expand this universe I think is not necessary in the sequel

It is better to do full paid DLC. This the ability to support the developers and will not divide the community
    This game can be developed. Realism it is not needed it's a 2d pixel game/

6. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Spin-offs would work better, considering the many things that couldn't be really explored otherwise. For example, there could be a strategy game that involves both planetside and space combat, and which also explores various military doctrines shown by the various organizations; or one aobut directing an Apex rebel cell. There could also be a RPG that explores all the factions in detail...

Jonesy likes this.
  7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Ill just take an update to allow texture maps for blocks. I could do so much with that functionality...

The game Steamworld Heist. A mix between turn based platforming movement and real aiming of the guns. That concept would fit amazingly with Starbound.

STCW262 likes this.
  8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That would fit for the proposed spinoff about an Apex rebel cell.
    Actually, there's lots of games from where inspiration could be taken. For example, if a spinoff/prequel was made depicting the Ancients in their final plight before extinction, and at about the time when the Ruin first struck, the Vaults were built, etc... was done, Creeper World would be a game that could give quite a lot of inspiration, considering that CW is, simply put, a RTS in which the main antagonist (The titular Creeper) is basically a fluid, and in which the Player's makeup barely resemble the Creeper's (For starters, the former has energy to manage, and has buildings and separate units, while the latter only has Emitters, and a few other units that act independently from each other).

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Eww. Hard pass.

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

What I would really want in a starbound sequel or remake is the addition of stuff that can't be added in current Starbound due to the fact it would require save wipes. For example, increased character customization. Get rid of the current system where gender is how you select body type. Give us a selection of body types, based on upper and lower body. Give us the ability to, say, give our character an arm prosthetic. Let us give them facial scars (all it would require is an extra facial mask option).

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Ehn. Give it a decade maybe. The game was built to not NEED a sequel, as they can add metric shit-tons (a shit-ton is 2.4 buttloads) of new content without requiring the player to restart the game from scratch.

Maybe if they come across something that the current coding just will not allow for, or some huge disruptive technology boost happens that they can take advantage of. Otherwise, best to just support this game for years and let its reputation grow on that. "Buy Starbound today and look at ALL THE STUFF YOU GET YEARS OF CONTENT"

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I figure the earliest such a project might be started is 2023, as a 10 year anniversary (of the first beta) sort of thing.

The1andonly00 likes this.
  13. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I wish that players would be given more reasons to build more permanent bases on their starter planets, or any other planets that they might visit as soon as they obtain the ability to travel through space, in a similar way to Terraria. Heck, I personally wouldn't mind if I had to thoroughly explore my starter planet, attract some tenants, set up some planetary installations that provide various planet-wide effects (such as encouraging interplanetary/interstellar trade, fending off pirates, attracting new kinds of tenants, controlling the weather, or even some terraforming), or even fight off a boss or 2 before I could finally be given the ability to leave to explore other worlds. Personally, I'm often more interested in wanting to develop new colonies than I am in finding dungeons to raid, let alone searching for raw materials.

14. intrepid-explorer

intrepid-explorer Phantasmal Quasar

I used to love building palaces and ships in earlier versions. The colony system has potential, but I found myself building apartment complexes and collecting rent became a chore. Now the only building I do is within my ship, and a farm on the starting planet, because I like most of the features of survival mode, but I'd starve to death building anything bigger than a cottage.

The1andonly00 likes this.
  15. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually think no. Not until Starbound has reached 2.0 and embellished on the story more. If they released a DLC or a patch which introduced an 8th species that reveals more about the ancient beings talked about and stuff like that, that'd set them up for a sequel. As it is, what would the sequel be? Pretty much more of the same, and as it is right now, Starbound wasn't really the most popular game in the world. They need to get creative and add new story elements to THIS game, add a LOT more stuff, and set themselves up for a sequel rather than tugging at coattails they don't already have.

16. SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

Personally I would rather see them further the game more via updates then give us a squel. When I heard that Terraria was going to do a sequel I was not excited for it and jumped ship to starbound. So if starbound did the same I am not sure how i would feel about it.

17. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Exactly. I think that Starbound should excel as a game first, not just rush to release something we can call 1.0. When we reach 2.0 and the game is filled with things which we all like (increases on everything, mechanic changes, etc.) then I think we should consider a sequel.

18. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

What about a Starbound spinoff? Had Terraria: Otherworld not been cancelled, it seemed like it would've been focusing on somewhat different styles of gameplay, such as a greater emphasis on clearing the world of Corruption/Crimson, and tower defense gameplay.

Perhaps a future Starbound spinoff game could, say, focus more on developing colonies on 1 or more planets, maybe along with some terraforming, in order to progress (possibly even forcing players to develop their starting planet before they're able to move to different planets, almost akin to setting up a long-term base in Terraria)? Now I'm sure that not everyone would like to be stuck on a single planet, but I'm also sure that others, myself included, miss how invested in their starting world players would get in Terraria, and I wouldn't be surprised if some players would be eager to jump onto a new game that would cater to this kind of gameplay (essentially a mix of Terraria and Starbound design principles), while those that don't like it might opt to stick to Starbound.

19. starboundATL

starboundATL Tentacle Wrangler

I agree with most consensus here that a paid DLC would be more valued than a sequel. The core issue with this game is it's 'likeness' to Terraria which I theorize prevents people from really embracing the game to the point of really opening it up and seeing what it has, this game is extraordinary but it does take many hours of investment before you get to see the separation between the two IP's. This drawback I feel would be the only thing getting in the way of Chucklefish investing the time and money for any paid DLC over the already present modding community.

That being said I 100% agree with Jonesy that I would love to see a larger narrative play out between the different races. I would 100% pay money for a larger story line, most other issues ascetically or mechanically have been addressed or can be addressed by the mod community.

I ask why? Why spin off a game where you have already opened up a theoretical infinite universe with a theoretically infinite number of timelines and story lines?

20. Edorath

Edorath Void-Bound Voyager

Don’t really think the game needs a sequel per se, but some meaningful updates or a DLC would certainly be welcome so long as the final product is well polished. I would 100% be down with some more post-game story that ties all the loose ends together. Hell, i would be down for an actually cohesive story.