1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Impossible quest

Discussion in 'Support' started by GlassDeviant, Jan 12, 2017.

1. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Tentacle Wrangler

Quests like this should not occur:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840608598

Red Snapper is a summer/fall fish, I can't catch them in winter. Unlike Clints quests to show him ores that allow you to take them from a chest (if taken one at a time), you can't finish this quest with already owned fish. This makes the quest impossible.

Edit: PC version.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

I read that the quests are not only random, but sort of based on where you are in the game. It isn't really a bug, just the game being a derp and giving you something that you can't really do anything with unless you have stocks of items for things such as this ( It's recommended to keep at least one of everything too ) .

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

GlassDeviant, the Red Snapper can definitely be caught in Winter.

That's not to say the game won't throw you out of season quests like _PandorasBox_ mentioned. Where it sort of tests your foresight to keep appropriate stock. But, I tried fishing in-game, & caught a Red Snapper in Winter. Plus I double checked the game data, and it shows Winter is one of their seasons.

Caught further down the dock after about 10 tries; so I combined screenshots. But, timewise it's only about 20 seconds apart in real life.
        redsnapper.png

• GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Tentacle Wrangler

The tables I got from the wikia show Red Mullet in Winter, but Red Snapper only in Summer/Fall. I only looked after trying for the entire afternoon and evening of both days before the quest expired and getting no Red Snapper at all with Fishing 9 and trying both Fishing and Luck boosting foods. Then again, Sardines are a pain to get at high fishing level; you keep getting everything else, and I need sardines to make Dish O' the Sea.

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

The Wiki and Wikia are not managed properly, and so, a good amount of information on it is wrong or incomplete, mostly the schedules of all the NPCs. So you can never really be sure as to if it's correct or not until you see it in the game for yourself.