I'm Youtube.com/HERO Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by HERO on Youtube, Jan 14, 2013.

1. HERO on Youtube

HERO on Youtube Void-Bound Voyager

Drama seems to follow me so I would like to take the time to clear up a few things, admit my faults, and answer any questions people have about me or things I have done/plan to do. I feel like this belongs here because I plan on being involved with this community and want to clear things up.

Lost and found
    I got lost a ways back. I feel like I got to the point where my channel was so big I had gained at least a thousand people who didn't like me due to the law of numbers. I had never in my life been exposed to such a huge amount of hostility and when faced with it I became bitter, angry, judgmental, overly competitive, and hostile myself. I wanted to prove to everyone I was good because I felt like so many people hated me for no reason. I would see yrimir vs hero comments everywhere and I would spend hours and hours reading negative comments about myself and it would drive me nuts. I once posted a video responding to the yrimir vs hero drama and I polarized the people. I made people either a HERO or Yrimir fan. I left no room for us to be friends after that and caused people to take sides even more. Looking back I see that it was the stupidest thing I did in my channels history and I regret it. I learned a lot from that 1 situation and have grown a lot because of it. I always loved yrimir and his content. I used to think "what a great channel" and I can honestly say he was inspiring. I never made the video to hurt yrimir or to try to prove I was better than him. I made it to prove to the people that were going around trash talking me that I was more than they thought I was.

What I learned down the road is that what those people said didn't matter. Those people don't know me and they don't care about me. They judge me more than anyone in my real life would and they do it for far less than they should. I came to understand that you can't make everyone happy and that I don't need to prove to others that I am worth something. I just need to be happy and grateful for the life I have and just keep moving forward. I want to cherish my friendships and work with others who are kindhearted. I got lost in on all the drama and the competition. I don't ever plan to make that mistake again. I still like to do my best but I will do it from now on to make those who I care about happy not to prove to those who hate me that I am worth not hating.

Being impersonated
    Not sure what proof I actually need since I am impersonated a lot. A lot of people have made fake accounts of me and went around trolling a lot of people. If you met me on a server it wasn't me. I have been on a total of 5 servers. OG server, a few on livestream, and my private server. I have posted less than 20 comments online and chances are if you talked with me on any site outside of my youtube then it wasn't actually me. A lot of people I come across are very angry with me because of some interaction that never actually happened. For this I am very sorry. I will post this on my facebook and I hope that is enough confirmation.

Quiting Terraria
    I quit terraria because I had played it 3000 hours and there was nothing I hadn't done a dozen times. Most bosses I had fought 100+ times just being bored on livestream. A lot of people got very angry with me but at the point I am at in life I now do things to make myself and my friend happy. I can't just play a game that you want me to play for the rest of my life. I am sorry there is not much more I can say about this. If you are a fan I hope you will enjoy something else I produce. Shrugs (This has changed. Terraria is now updating and also console release. So I will be playing.)

The Reborn Mod
    This one is hard and very long..... I made a lot of people mad at me in a very short period of time. I don't feel like I handled the situation well but here goes me explaining it. (INHALES) OK so my goal for the reborn mod was to make a mod so good that everyone would run this mod. I wanted it to be so good that it was a must have mod. (My goals sometimes exceed reality.) I assembled a team of 11 members. Along the way we tried out about 30 people. We cut lose 19 people because frankly they were not good at modding or they were very argumentative people who just wanted everything their way which led to the team fighting. 18 of these people we voted on or talked about and it was always a group agreement that they weren't good enough quality wise, we already had someone doing that job who was good enough, or they were not a good fit on the team. There was 1 guy the team wanted to stay but I just got a bad vibe from him. I couldn't place my finger on it but he seemed like a "watch the world burn" type of guy and I couldn't shake it so I asked him to leave. So 19 people got axed by me but in reality it was a team vote and I just was the guy to pull the trigger, minus the one guy.

So the mod was going good I am not going to point fingers but there was a situation that arose that crumbled the foundation and goals of the mod. Basically the mod was supposed to be a 1 click install. It is a very simple thing to do and 1 guy did not want to pack his software into the 1 click install. From the very start he said this was fine and then about a week away from release he said no. This left the team arguing because the reason he did not want a 1 click install was he wanted people to have to install his portion of the mod separately and then he would be able to ask for donations in his installer. Some modders will know what I am talking about and you can call me a liar or say I misunderstood but I will tell you this is exactly what he told me one on one. This caused a huge amount of problems because then 2 other people wanted donate links and wanted to create separate installs. It turned into a crap storm. I was trying to hold it together while not telling them all they were acting like little babies. (I was trying to use people skills and it was not working.)

My whole idea behind the mod was to provide a huge amount of content while also being absolutely free. I spent over $1000 developing the reborn mod and more time than anyone else on the project. People would argue that i didn't do much coding but I coded over 50 items, brought the whole team together, got permission to make the mod, made videos for the mod, made trailers for the mod, reached out to youtubers to get them to hype the mod, bug tested over a 100 hours for the mod, and tons of other stuff I'm not gonna rant about. I just never asked to be listed as a coder or any of those silly jobs. I just asked to be listed as project manager which I was.

If you are wondering how I spent $1000 on the making of a free mod it was due to the fact that we needed professional hosting account for transferring data between each other, I paid artist to do commissioned art for the mod, and in the end I hired a coder to clean up some finer points and pack it in a one click installer. I almost even hired Tiy to do the pixel art but in the end he decided it would not be a good idea because he was busy working on another project (it was starbound :O), The people who were mad and wanted a donate link got angry about me hiring a coder to pack the mod into an installer so the team went into turmoil and I just can't please everyone so I did it my way. On the day of release the group that wanted to release with the donate link released a broken version of the mod with countless bugs all because they wanted to release before the official 1 click installer could be released. 30,000 ish people installed it within like 6 hours.... THE HORROR. Nothing but angry people mad about a broken glitchy mod and pages and pages of people not understanding how to install. They released the wrong version of the config files because I had been up all night working on them and they had the old messed up version because they didn't feel like waiting and ended up releasing a sword that dealt 999999 damage by accident.... That sword was a testing item. Any who basically they released a broken version of the mod everyone downloaded then complained. I posted a video trying to redirect everyone to the fixed version with the 1 click installer and not 40 steps. in then end everyone was mad, it was a huge waste of time, and I wish I could have made something a lot better for free with less bugs.

My heart was in the right place but I didn't know how to work well with such a large team that all had different goals. I want to make 1 thing perfectly clear. Every single person agreed before starting the mod we would produce it for free and that it would not ask the community for anything in return. I didn't spring this on anyone. This was agreed on and was only changed at the end when people started to realize that serious money could be made because terraria ended so everyone wanted mods all the sudden. Writing this story I am teary eyed. To some who were on the team like omnir I am sorry things ended the way they did. (you were a good friend and somehow we lost that) I also understand everyone's actions and while I don't agree with them I don't think ill of any of you.

People pissed off at me because of this mod.
    - 19 modders/pixel artist in community automatically pissed off at me because I was always the guy breaking the news that they couldn't be on the team.
    - The rest of the team after we all didn't get our way.
    - The people I let down who wanted a great mod

I understand I set almost the entire mod community against me in one fail swoop because you were either rejected by me, part of the failed project, or friends with one of these people.

That all being explained, I did what was right and I was trying to be honest and kind and do what we agreed upon at the start of the project. You can disagree with me, say I am a jerk, say I am a lair, or anything else you may want about this situation but I have told the 100% truth from my perspective and I may be wrong about some things but I have only a 2 apologies. Sorry to the people I let down, and sorry to the friends I lost. I am not sorry for doing the right thing and then being held over the fire for it. If I could go back I wouldn't even start the project. What a fricken train wreck.

The Terraria wikia
    So there is an unofficial wiki.I ran this wiki for about a year. First I will explain how I came to be the person running the wiki. Basically a 14 year old kid started it made about 30 edits and then only logged in to chat. The wiki was falling apart and was being abused by greifers. I started cleaning the wiki up, fighting trolls by fixing edits, and completing articles. The wiki got so abused staff locked it so that only admins could edit because it had been being vandalized so much they left it only to be edited by admins. The problem was there were no active admins. I reached out to the guy and he promoted me to admin. The site went down during a patch and was down over a week and in that time I completed every single update for the game on the wiki as well as fixed all vandalism I came across. I AM VERY PROUD OF THIS. I saved the wiki from becoming a pile of dirt.

So a new problem arose. Youtubers started fighting over what video was placed in the article because it would lead to traffic on their pages. Basically a 2ish week period were youtubers deleted videos to re-add their own over and over happened. The owner of the wiki who wasn't very involved just decided he wanted to ban videos. I had done a few videos like less than 7 and at the time my videos were the most professional and had a good intro and linked back to the wiki So I said how about I do all the videos for the wiki? (YES THIS WAS GREEDY) I wanted to do it. i knew it would help my channel, stop him from banning videos, and stop youtubers from constantly vandalizing articles to post their videos at the top. My intentions were good even if it did benefit me. Videos were going to be banned anyways. So we tried it out, it went well, and then the old wiki owner decided to make me the new head on the admin. He said he felt like I cared more about the wiki and the game than anyone else and that I deserved it for all that I had done. I AGREE. Almost no one knows this story and if you now do then you understand I saved a dying wiki and yes I did benefit but that doesn't change what I did to help the wiki.

Fast forward about a year ish (im really bad with time. could have been 6 months who knows) I have promoted 2 mods on the wiki and one of the mods is a huge yrimir fan. I explained the situation from earlier about how made the video responding to some hate well this changed him I think. All of the sudden he made it his goal to get me removed from power on the wiki. The 2nd mod I promoted I banned because he was making gun jokes about shooting wikia staff members and then he got reinstated. Basically they teamed up on me and we all did some underhanded things to try and slight each other. I don't know how things got so bad so fast. To be perfectly honest with everyone my dog had cancer at the time and i was just being a total A-Hole to everyone. Now let me put this in perspective. The reborn mod had failed and then this all happened withing like a week of that and then my dog got bone cancer. I just went off the deep end. I was no coherent. I look back and read some of the things I said on the wiki and think wow that guy was an idiot or what the heck was I talking about. I seem legitimately crazy for about 3 weeks of my life.

Long story short I got removed from the head of the wiki because I was retarded, the mod failed because I have no idea how to run an 11 man team all with different goals, my dog ended up dying, and then I said fuck this and flew out of the country for a month. Then... my mom died while I was away.

Needless to say I have had to grow up, change my shitty self centered attitude, realize that the opinions of the few that dislike me are irrelevant, understand some projects are just to big for me, and come to understand that family is more important than ALL of this. Even though I had a bad mother she was my only mother and I loved her a lot.

Starbound Vs Edge of Space
    I am going to play them both. I really am tired of hearing about this. I'm sure they will both be good games. I really don't care about the fan boy/girl fights over this. Yes I did help EoS get kickstarter money by doing a few videos for them. They were nice to me and I wanted to help an indie game company. I offered to help Tiy promote a kickstarter too but he felt he wanted to earn the money from making a good game not just have it given to him. Tiy is a very respectable guy and I hold no grudges towards him for the way terraria ended. It's not his fault. Games end move along.

Edit: Eos vs Starbound is silly. I want them to compete so they both make better games. Competition breeds innovation.

Can we do a video together?
    I try to work with people who have good content. I mean 20+ videos before I would even work with someone. Nothing against anyone, it is just a business decision. I get a hundred request a month to do letsplays with people but I only pick people who are producing good content, are very talented, or are irl friends. This is basically my rule of thumb. Make some videos make some good content and then send me a message on youtube saying you saw this thread. If they are good I'll like them because I like all videos that I actually like and then it will appear in my subscriber feed and hopefully gain you some traffic. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I just can't collaborate with everyone so I pick very few people. Just work on making videos you like and maybe someday we will work together. Sorry.

Artist, Musicians, Modders, Map Makers, And Established Youtubers.
    On another note if you are a talented musician, artist, modder, map maker, or something artsy just shoot me a youtube message showing what you can do and I will probably get back to you. Those types of collabs I am always open to. It's more like a real collaborative effort vs me promoting a random channel. People who are talented and bring something to a video I make, I will always promote them. One example of that is http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalRenardMusic I used his music for 1 or two videos and I promoted him on livestream and youtube and helped him get to 1000 subs just from our brief interaction. Another would be friends of mine like http://www.youtube.com/user/PedguinGames, and http://www.youtube.com/user/OdysseyGamez on youtube who I promoted several times. I think I helped each of there channels gain thousands of subs. I am in no way taking credit of any form for their success. They all earned every sub I sent there way. I care about both pedguin and OG and have grown to be good friends. They were very talented and had something to bring to the table in everything we did. Great guys. Cheers.

Closing
    If you have read this far hopefully this has answered every drama filled situation I was/am in. I honestly could have handled a lot of them better but my mind was just out of it towards the end. I love my fans and I will be doing a lot for starbound just like I did for terraria. Some people may not still like me but what the heck who cares. This is all true from my perspective and I have apologized to many people many times. I listed here almost all my failures and all my problems over the past year or so. (in relation to the internet)

I have listed very few successes or stories of me helping others. Most people hear about my mistakes and judge me by them. In the future I am just going to do what is right and try to make slower more rash decisions. I don't want to get into any huge group projects. I just wanna focus on making good videos for the fans I love. I am still healing from the darkest year of my life.

Here is some normal hate mail for me as well as a normal response: http://i.imgur.com/lRrq7.png

The truth is I posted this in the middle of the night so less people would see it. I just needed to get it off my chest.

I am an open book. I feel naked.

2. HERO on Youtube

Does anyone know how make collapsible sections. I just typed that all out and now I see how big it is o_O
    Like hide/show

Core likes this.
  3. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Try .]spoilers[ cept the other way about. Saaay, didnt I see you on Youtube where you fought all those Terraria monsters at once? Was pretty sweet. I dont know what it is with all that craziness in that story and whatnot, but just know whoever you are, your welcome to Starbound anytime :)

Im Dzelda, traveling gamer, excited waiter for the game :p I totally hope we can get to be good friends, its not often that someone makes a text wall that interesting :rofl:

Core and HERO on Youtube like this.
  4. HERO on Youtube

Probably but it may have also been someone else. Also thanks :)

Core likes this.
  5. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

That was pretty interesting to watch though, cant really forget the big HERO sign at the title :p
    Shame about the channel issues though, I know BrawlBRSTMs2. Such a shame he shut his channel down and had to reupload because he let the trolls get on top of him :zzz:

Did you hear about that unfortunate incident?

Core likes this.
  6. Warlay

Warlay Space, The Final Frontier

Well, that certainly cleared things up. I used to watch your videos, also. Anyway about the whole collapsible sections just do
    Code:
    [spoiler="Name of Section"]Enter Message Here [/spoiler]

Core and creepwolf like this.
  7. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Sorry for getting angry at you yesterday on the IRC. Also I was active on the forums, yet didn't know about the mod you speak of. o_O

8. HERO on Youtube

No but It sounds very sad...

I'm not mad at you. I understand most people have no idea what really happened in most of these situations so they assume the worst. It's my fault for letting them sit for so long.

Core likes this.
  9. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Welcome, HERO! I have not been aware of any drama - and, I suppose it doesn't matter since it's in the past and you're free to move ahead and move on, right? All I have is a positive take on your channel because you make good videos and have a good speaking voice, personally. I think you'll do just fine on here, the community here is friendly... especially compared to Youtube.

Also - I think that if you start making great videos for Starbound it would definitely help it get some attention. Are you planning on playing the beta and spotlighting it?

10. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa... Hero...
    I didn't know much about you: I am not a fan after all, I have only watched like two or three videos of yours. I only thought you seemed to be an important youtuber :p
    But this story you tell us... It's just... Wow, it's touching. I can somehow feel your pain, caused by all the bad stuff you have been through. You are right Hero, now you must only do what your heart tells you and believe in yourself! In life, no matter what you do, people is going to judge you. So I say SCREW THEM! We are the rulers of our life!

I'm glad you have joined this community. Just to let you know, you can have a new friend right here! Be strong, bro...
    And Welcome to STARBOUND Forums!!
    I'm looking forward to play with you sometime in the future! :rofl:

11. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Regardless of the drama it still takes a lot of guts to come out and admit you were wrong, and I respect that you were brave enough to do it. Not a lot of people could comfortably admit their faults, and hopefully everybody accepts your gesture of a clean slate and a new try, and nobody causes drama for anyone else~

Core, creepwolf, Raevox and 10 others like this.
  12. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Brewed up a nice cup of coffee for this one.
    First of all, I'd like to welcome you to the Starbound forums Hero. You shouldn't worry too much about drama and the like,
    the moderators and admins here are incredibly good at keeping the forums clean, and the community itself is quite wonderful.

I was actually subscribed to you before you started making Terraria videos, where you had your amazing "beard".
    I totally understand how you would get so angry about all the arguments happening in the video. You are being
    too hard on yourself, it's not your fault a bunch of 12 year old kiddies started arguing. But it's good to see that you ended
    up learning quite a valuable lesson from that. A lesson I had to learn the hard way too.

I think you miswrote "shrugs" as "shugs" in the next paragraph?

After reading through what happened with the Reborn mod, I feel incredibly irritated.
    Seriously, wanting a seperate installer so they can put a donate button for themslves? Who do they think they are?
    This reminds me of "Animal Farm", everyone agrees on something perfect, but it slowly starts to fall to pieces.
    I respect how you were trying to solve the problem calmly and civilly as possible.

Ah, the unofficial Terraria Wiki. I remember going onto that site with my eyes
    assaulted with gorey images of dead people and quite a bit of pornography.
    I decided to avoid that site for a while until my friend decided to link me back to that wiki. I was a bit
    reluctant at first, but I ended up finding it even more informative than the official wiki.
    I never knew about how you took over the wiki though. You did a bloody fantastic job.

Starbound vs EOS? Just as pathetic as Minecraft vs Terraria arguments.
    These guys would have had a field day with Quake and Doom.

This was actually a very interesting read. My current feelings are a mixed bag.
    Hopefully your future will hold great success and fortune, you deserve it for all the crap you had to go through.

Sorry if this post seems a bit "cut-up", I wrote a response to each paragraph seperately.

Core, HERO on Youtube, Mobius and 2 others like this.
  13. Rocksta37

Rocksta37 Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know if the real HERO would say that,but okay,welcome ot the forums!I love your vids!

Core and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  14. Dr. Otaku-Sensei

Dr. Otaku-Sensei Phantasmal Quasar

So it has come to this.
    First of, I'd like to say welcome to the forums. Secondly, thank you for this clarification for which you've obviously put a lot of effort to make reasonable.
    Anywho, I think you'll be a great pillar of the community like in ye Olde Days of Terraria.

15. HERO on Youtube

Yes I will play the beta. Thanks :)

Yea I am bad at typing lol. I'll fix it.
    The reborn mod was intended to be the greatest thing I ever did for the community. It is a huge regret of mine.
    I don't get why everyone compares games like they do. I think if you like one cool promote it but not compare it.
    thanks for kind words.

Thanks. I hope starbound does just as good or better than Terraria. I really miss a good 2d sandbox game.

Core likes this.
  16. HERO on Youtube

I'm not that big. There are over 2000 youtube channels that are bigger. Thank you for the welcome.

Core and WoxandWarf like this.
  17. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

I used to completely despise you before but after actuly learning that about 90% of that was trolls going around you have my apologies.
    TBH i found your videos pretty enjoyable and i hope you will make some good starbound ones.
    Welcome to starbound forums :)

18. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

i was a member of the terraria community i remember the you vs yrimir argument i remember people not knowing how to work surfpups tconfig program and getting even ragier about it when the reborn mod dropped i also remember you getting banned on the terraria site by mods because you tried to tell your side of the story but they felt the arguments between you and the rest of the reborn team were outta control and to far gone at that point

with all that said its safe to say i know what your past mistakes were
    now heres me laying down my stance on the matter

1st off i neither love you nor hate you i did play the reborn mod and it was good stuff
    it takes a big man to show up and admit his past screw ups
    it takes an even bigger man to do it publically as youve done here
    the reality here is some may give you clean slate for this.
    some may say screw you still i hate you yrimir fan 4 lyfe

i say welcome to the community broseph if you live in the past all your life you will never see whats in front of you . and what i see infront of you right now is a new game a new community with some old faces a chance to make new friends and a chance to say screw the bs its old news. i will not judge your worth today off of what you may have done yesterday

now rise up and take your place as a member of our family youve already found your way into our home

now lets go get us some STARBOUND SON thats what were all here 4

Core, DeadlyLuvdisc, Midnight and 2 others like this.
  19. HERO on Youtube

New year, time to move on. :) Thanks man.

Thanks buddy. I am working on one right now.

Core likes this.
  20. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

glad you gotsome form of a message out of that.
    didnt mean to go all motivational and preachy on you its just i know what its like to snap and be considered crazy after losing someone or something you love its a feeling i know all to well guess you could say im passionate about the subject.

anyway if your gonna make starbound videos my crew really needs to step there game up since were going to be new to the video scene

Core likes this.