I'm Against Unlimited Oxygen <<<Devs please consider before 1.0

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Rainseeker, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Rainseeker

Rainseeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've said this elsewhere, but I'd like other player feedback on it. Perhaps there should be more danger exploring oceans and other oxygenless environs? It seems like unlimited oxygen removes some of the sense of wonder and accomplishment of finding things. Perhaps allowing us to upgrade the time we spend without oxygen might feel more satisfying?

2. flibergdde

flibergdde Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes! Forever yes! Unlimited oxygen takes the fun out of water and space.

Chris1488 and Rainseeker like this.
  3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I've always thought about that, but i don't know how to address it, due to the fact that there are entire planets that are airless. Removing unlimited oxygen and just making the air timer a lot bigger could be more manageable if it were possible to terraform, and make non airless locations.

STCW262, Tazmaniac95 and Rainseeker like this.
  4. flibergdde

Not making It bigger at start but being able to extend it with upgrades or an air tank or sunpton

Rainseeker likes this.
  5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I agree. I believe that players should, at 1st, be given a limited amount of time to explore the bottom of the ocean (though this limit would be several minutes at 1st).

However, keep in mind that moon biomes do not have a breathable atmosphere at all, and players are currently expected to visit them in order to stock up on Liquid Erchius to fuel their starships' warp drives.

Rainseeker likes this.
  6. Rainseeker

Perhaps we should be able to build oxygen generators where you could refill your tank? Also you could have generators that fill up an area with oxygen.

nomad ninga and Shadow Wolf TJC like this.
  7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Do it Borderlands style with AOE oxygen generators that will automatically refill your oxygen while inside it.

8. Rainseeker

That sounds like it would be easy.

9. flibergdde

Yes! Idea! This is a space game, so why not airlocks!? Yknow, build a room outa certain blocks, put some kinda air generator in it, and shut the door to refill oxegen! Build em on moons, and youve got a base camp for mining!
    *pats self on back*

10. JOJ650s

JOJ650s Void-Bound Voyager

This... actually sounds really neat.
    It would make base building and colonization on airless planets and moons pretty interesting.
    (Well colonization might be tricky if npcs run around opening doors...)

11. flibergdde

Maybe an ai tweak that makes them not open doors to uninhabitable areas?

Masta Killa and Rainseeker like this.
  12. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, especially since I'm currently building a space castle in an asteroid field. With this next update forcibly ripping out our lung implants, there needs to be some kind of oxygen-supplying object. It could potentially reuse part of the code for what qualifies as a house. Like, have it where a room with no backwalls missing and only accessible through a door or hatch would count as a space where the generator would work. And don't make it some ugly human power generator thing. Make it look like an inconspicuous air freshener-looking lighty thing that goes on the wall. Also, with moon bases, there should be some block that is immune to meteors. Like, impervium plating or something. Since every dang airless planet has no atmosphere to burn up meteors, we need some way to protect Moonbase Aeiou.
    This is also a good idea. Make them work like the turrets, being a permanent fixture that breaks when mined. This will leave the player to either spend the resources to make a bunch of them or play Street Light with sparsely placed bubbles.

Masta Killa and Rainseeker like this.
  13. King Kitteh

King Kitteh Starship Captain

If we do have oxygen producing objects, I hope we can link them up to other rooms and such with pipes.

Rainseeker likes this.
  14. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This is a nice feature for players who seek challenge and not for casuals. If this thing would be implemented, I suggest to put a toggle option in it.

15. Rainseeker

All good ideas, guys! Please, keep this thread alive until we get some Dev to comment on whether or not they like it!

flibergdde likes this.
  16. King Kitteh

What if we changed the air bubble tech thing to only give 10 minutes or so of air. Enough time to do some mining, exploring and excavating. You can refill the meter on your ship or a planet with air.

Then we can add an "air capsule" item. It should be crafted from metal and glass. When you consume it, it will refill your air supply and leave you with an empty air capsule. You should be able to refill the capsule in breathable atmospheres.

This way if people want to explore without setting up oxygen generators they can just take a few capsules. The capsules should also be used automatically if you run out of air.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  17. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Nice idea, although I'd probably want the capsules to leave NOTHING behind upon being consumed, so as to make it impractical to stock up on large amounts of them (but still leaving open the opportunity to easily collect enough materials to craft them in bulk). Also, I'd consider a time frame between 5 and 10 minutes worth of air to be most preferable for limited ocean exploration.

Rainseeker likes this.
  18. King Kitteh

I think that the 'oxygen generator' should come in several styles. One could simply be a machine probably containing a CO2 scrubber. While another could be an aesthetically pleasing bio-dome with plants and shrubs.

Also, are all blocks going to be considered air-tight? It wouldn't really make sense for some blocks like leaf blocks or wood planks. I don't really have an opinion on this, just something to consider.

Rainseeker likes this.
  19. JOJ650s

JOJ650s Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, that should do the trick.

Maybe have turrets able to shoot down meteors?

Rainseeker likes this.
  20. calser

calser Space Hobo

The reason i signed up for the forums is because i just found an oxeygen tank AND IT IS USELESS, i feel so dissatisfied with it.
    als i would like it if there would be a way to automaticly water my plants with some kind of construction
    and oxeygen management would be awesome with pipes in buildings and a space ship creator would be awesome too