REQUEST I want to put trees in my house!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by LuthienNightwolf, Jun 30, 2016.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

So, I had this idea earlier and thought I'd run it by the modders out there, specifically those who can do retextures.

How difficult would it be to turn, say, one of the lamposts, into a tree? I think it'd be awesome to fill my house with trees (especially since I just found out you can put grass inside your house) and make it look like a forest with a bit of furniture sprinkled around.

I don't know how the texture stuff works but I assume all you'd have to do is take one of the trees (oak or maple, preferably) and swap it with one of the textures for a less commonly used item that can be placed indoors? Could be a lamppost, or some other piece of decor that we can craft ourselves.

Just thought I'd toss the idea up here to see if anyone's interested. If you want to go further with it, why not swap a whole set of things for some of the different bushes and greenery you see around the town? I dunno, I'm just a huge nature fan and I kinda want to see what I can do with the interior of my house. lol

If you're even considering this, you have my appreciation! <3

PS. Want to add, I'm not asking to have/grow an *actual* tree indoors, only for an item that can already be placed inside to have the texture of the tree.

Rosalie and barfyscorpion like this.
    • barfyscorpion

barfyscorpion Pangalactic Porcupine

I like this idea a lot. I'd personally like some planters where you could plant trees inside and bear fruit all year round. Unrealistic, sure. But cute.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
      • eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It's possible, but a bit difficult. With the example of the lamp post, that item is quite small and will result in a very small tree if you wish to replace the texture, otherwise it won't fit. All the trees you see around are too big to replace any of the furniture (except for the bear statue maybe?). Bushes are more likely to work.

But to answer your question yes it's possible but requires a lot of editing of the trees to fit the sprite size in the furniture.png

taintedwheat likes this.
        • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

If you do end up editing furinture for that, good luck... furniture and house .xnb edits is the least fun to do in my experience.

Theres an animal room for your natureness.
          http://community.playstarbound.com/...m-2nd-fireplace-in-the-master-bedroom.115839/

@barfyscorpion its possible, with tIDE and that year round mod. I wish the author would come back and refine it to be used in certain areas and mod expansions instead of everywhere. It ruins the aspsect of crop immersion.

Making planter tiles are my jam.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
          • LuthienNightwolf

Ah, I see what you mean, wasn't thinking about the size of the sprites. Never hurts to ask though. Guess I'll have to stick with my houseplants. >u>

MrToni300 likes this.
            • zipy199522

zipy199522 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well I know from just a bit of working with furniture that each "tile" is a 16x16 pixel space. If you were to neatly chop in pieces of the tree into a sprite sheet and then add in the code in the .xnb file that tells the game what tiles are associated with what image it is entirely possible.

From a quick glance, the furniture.png tile sheet can hold about 32 tiles across, and resizing it downwards shouldn't be a problem.
              Also the code that you would need to add in a new piece of furniture would be roughly this.

1673: "House Tree/decor/1 4/1 1/1/4000" #!String
              Where

1673= Tile Sheet index offset. //Remember how I said how each row holds 32 tiles? Well this simply refers to the 1673rd tile on the sheet, which is where the tree is located. (Also known as the source tile)
              decor=The category that this is. It also refers to the category text that is shown when you hover over an object in your inventory.

/1 4/ = Graphical Width, Graphical Height. In that order that tells the game how many tiles to draw. So starting from tile 1673, which where your new tree sprite would start, it will only draw that 1 in width, but it will also look for N-1 tiles above it, so in this case, it will draw the 3 tiles above our source tile as well!

/1 1/=Bounding Box limitations. This basically sets the area where if the player collides with these associated tiles, they won't be able to pass through. In the case of our image, this would be the graphics of the source tile, but anything else will simply be drawn as a transparency over our player if they "pass through" it.

/1/=Rotations. This tells the game how many tiles after it are a graphical rotation of itself. Chairs and tables typically have a value of 4 (360 degrees/4 =90 degree rotations) and they have an image to show for it as well. (The game just uses the same up and down image so that's why only 3 sprites are shown). In our case our tree will probably only have 1.

/4000= Price of the furniture when buying. This is pretty self-explanatory, but basically this is how much gold our piece of furniture will cost when buying it.

And that should be the information needed in-case anyone ever wants to tackle this project. I'll probably go add this to my modding guide for future reference as well. Have fun modding everyone!

LuthienNightwolf and eemie like this.
              • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Soooo... I stupidly decided to resize the tree and just put it where the Christmas Tree Tree of the Winter Star is, ... but then I realized that none of the item lists, even the ones that contain all the other furniture, have the item ID for that silly tree.

But I happened to have one stashed away, so here's a preview.

[​IMG]
                tree.png tree2.png
                [​IMG]
                tree.png

A more convenient item would prrrrobably be better, but I chose the christmas tree for its obscurity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
                  Koschfer, Lilliput and taintedwheat like this.
                • LuthienNightwolf

THANK YOU! <3

MrToni300 likes this.
                  • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

You're welcome! :D Let me know if you need any changes.

eemie and LuthienNightwolf like this.