Modding Help I Need Help

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by GunshiMarrow, Jun 10, 2017.

1. GunshiMarrow

GunshiMarrow Void-Bound Voyager

I have absolutely no idea how to create mods or code anything. I'm looking to basically swap the run and walk speeds so when I hold shift to walk, I'll run instead. Is that possible to do? If so, can someone please do that for me?

I'm also not sure if this should be posted under mods or not.

Either way, I could really use the help!

2. harvie89

harvie89 Void-Bound Voyager

You came to the right place to ask questions since the topic is asking for help in correlation of Starbound modding. Unfortunately, I'm also new into this starbound modding especially Lua (Programming Language). Modding through JSON is simple and easy, but it won't help your concept of the mod. "Learn Starbound Lua"

Starbound Lua: find "Starbound/doc/lua". In here, you will find the documentation of Starbound Lua.

Sadly, there's no proper IDE for new mod devs to use. Keep asking more questions in this forums. Maybe you can get what you want in the near future.

TIP: Download mods that you like (ex. Guns n Ammo [allows reloading animations]) and try to examine and dissect it's codes. Reverse Engineering ;)

GunshiMarrow likes this.
  3. GunshiMarrow

GunshiMarrow Void-Bound Voyager

I thought I had figured it out. It looked like it was as simple as just switching the two numbers for walkSpeed and runSpeed, but for some reason it just causes the game to instantly crash on startup. Whoever invented coding made it way too difficult for the rest of us and should be ashamed.