I Make Music for Rock-Star-Bounders!

Discussion in 'Other Fan Creations' started by Yubs, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

.abc Files are below!

Hey Rock-Stars of the Galaxy! Do you want music made for you?

During my "hiatus" from forums, I took on a new hobby, composing music! I've been studying some music history and music theory recently, and found it extremely fun to just compose pieces and write down melodies. What was awesome was that I realized I actually could start converting some pieces of mine into the .ABC musical format that Starbound uses!

So I decided, why not see if anyone ever actually wants music and such made for them and their Starbound characters to play in-game? So yea, I make music and if you want a song or something made for you, I can try and make something!

I just love listening to the different tone-colors that Starbound provides when "playing" music on the different instruments! I've especially found the Florans with microphones being adorable to listen to! So I decided, why not just post a few of them here on the forums, and get a little bit of feedback!

How to Add Songs to your Starbound Song Selection and Play Them:
    1 - Locate the "songs" folder, which you should be able to find in your Starbound Folder! This is the location!
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\user
    2 - Open the ZIP, and then just Paste the .abc file into that "songs" folder!
    3 - Open Starbound Up!
    4 - Equip an instrument (my personal favorite is the microphone, the banjo is cool too!)
    5 - Click, and open up the music list!
    6 - Select your song and play!

Want a song made for you and your space-faring rockstar? I'll be happy to take requests! Just give me a week or two! It usually only takes me day or two to finish a song, but I've got to find the free-time, and the inspiration throughout a week!

Disclaimer:
    - I can do cover-songs if you REALLY want it. But don't make any money off of it, and keep it for own personal use alrighty?
    - Making a request doesn't necessarily guarantee that I will actually fulfill it. I'll try my best, but sometimes I just don't have the time and sometimes the song is just too difficult to re-create.

EDIT 1: Okay... so figuring out how to get these files on the forums is a bit weird. Gonna hopefully figure it out in the next 15 minutes.
    EDIT 2: Got it! Just gotta use ZIP files!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

[Reserving for Posting ABC Files]

If something sounds off, or is not working, please notify me and I'll see if I can figure it out as soon as I can!

Note: These files are just the simpler pieces that I have done and figured out how to work with ABC format. I have plenty of other pieces made, I just gotta figure out how to convert them.

Other Note: 3 Song MIDIs are for the missing MIDIs that I made for which I forgot to include in their own respective files: Inscription on a Tombstone, Where is My Mind, and Anyway you Want It

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. ActuallyFancy

ActuallyFancy Space Spelunker

We need a Where Is My Mind instrumental please. Like, electric guitar, vocals for the background choir, optional drums.

Edit: I just spent three hours on this and only have the first verse done....

This isn't easy - - - - - - - - - Is this the easiest .ABC maker? http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Alright. Since you're the only one who has actually posted a request, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully I won't get no lawyers coming after me. Just don't try to make any money off of this, and we'll be good. I'm assuming you mean "Where is my Mind" by The Pixies.

Covers usually take quite a bit more effort than making original music since I got to get the timing and such right. I'll see if I can get it done by next weekend. I'm gonna have to listen to the song for a bit in order to get more familiar with it, and I'm also quite busy at the moment due to some life-issues popping up. Hopefully I will get it done by the end of the week, but it could be two or three weeks depending on how my schedule works out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

BAM! Finished it this morning! Here you go! I'm pretty satisfied how the final version ended up with! It took me a few hours of pure hard work, but the song was a good one that it nice to listen to over and over again! Honestly the toughest part was figuring out how to get it to work in Starbound, since you gotta edit the files a bit to work with Starbound, but I got it done!

There is a MIDI in here also just so you can hear how it's supposed to "hear" before you try it out in Starbound!

Attached Files:

6. ActuallyFancy

ActuallyFancy Space Spelunker

Alright, thanks! I mean, I was working on one, but yours is wayyyy better than mine! :D

7. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

I'm glad you liked it! If I my ask, what exactly are you going to be use the song for? Like is it for a video or server or something?

8. leracos

leracos Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a few requests of my own, if you don't mind! I ordered them below according to preference, and none of them should be too difficult, though I will let you be the judge of that. Feel free to try your hand at as many or as few as you like. I didn't want to just throw them in a converter because I was hoping for a more authentic feel. I would be using these personally with lead guitar instrument myself, if that matters, but have others on the server I host that would likely enjoy using them also.

From the Valkyrie Profile Soundtrack:

An Inscription on a Tombstone
    Night to the Twilight of Everything
    Epic Tale to a Holy Death
    (Bonus) One Line of Light, One Line of Dark

And as a complete compilation, the song Cancer by Filter.

Thanks for providing this service to the community, this is awesome!

9. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Sure! I'll take a look, give me a week from today, and I'll see if I can get at least one of these done!

It is a little harder than it seems, since the way I do it is by literally trying to "break it apart" by ear, and then rebuilding it in a way an .abc reader can understand.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  10. leracos

That's what it takes when you pay particular attention to detail. :) Which is why this topic intrigued me. No rush on it; do it at your leisure. :p

11. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Boom! Got it done! I've been taking a break from music stuff recently, so this has helped immensely getting me back "in the zone!"

Hope you like it! If the tempo feels a little too slow, then I can fix that if you want. I just didn't want it to be too fast, it's a really quick fix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. leracos

I will give it a listen today sometime, after I get some sleep. I am just heading to bed, I was up all night because of my insomnia again. :(

13. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Just for fun, I decided to make a Journey cover!

Attached Files: