1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

i like this game but. people keep saying negative things.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Loki743Ace, Jun 24, 2015.

?

do you like starbound in it's current state? do you think it will get better by 2016, or sooner?

1. yes i like starbound in it's current state.

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. no i don't like starbound in it's current state

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. it is going to be better.

52 vote(s)
    70.3%
  4. it is not going to be better.

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Woah, hold on now. Stop with the attacks. I was just saying I understand the players' frustrations. They bought that game back in 2013 expecting it to be released soon and it didn't happen. I believe their hate is justified. I'm not going around calling CF some kind of monster or anything. I'm just saying I understand their frustration, which would imply empathy not the lack there of. I know CF is working on it, but I'm concerned they're removing too much stuff of real value and not adding enough in the mean time (this is my opinion of course).

I'm not cussing CF out or calling them a horrible company or anything. I'm just stating my opinion, which I thought was okay on these forums? Also, if this game was released in 2013, we'd still have our temperature/hunger mechanics :(

Just sayin'

Madzai and Fleetfeet like this.
  2. No one attacked you. :facepalm:
    No one is stopping you from stating your opinion -- nor did anyone provide any reason to believe otherwise, merely providing more information in which to base your opinion on.

From the information that exists and the sequence of events; the "hate" isn't justified. It's disproportional. Concerned and troubled questions and feedback are about all that is warranted. If someone "hates" something regarding all of this, it's usually coupled with flaming, spamming, death and rape threats. Or just intensely snide and mocking preaching of CF's "horrible wrongdoings". That's "hate". It's misinformed, blind, ignorant, entitled, and selfish. Now disappointment on the other hand -- is totally justified. Disappointment breeds discussion and feedback, and the devs are happy to work with it. No one minds if you're concerned with combat and want to discuss those concerns, changes, or solutions. But there's no justification in HATING CF simply because a gun doesn't fire lasers the way someone thinks it should.

However, if you're (and I use "you" in the general sense here) disappointed with something CF has already addressed and resolved; you're the only one perpetuating that situation now.

And you (specifically) already know (or should know) that survival mechanics are coming back, because it's literally the first response to your own feedback thread.

Jonesy, Darklight and TrueEdge like this.
  3. Loki743Ace

Loki743Ace Void-Bound Voyager

my teal deers are not to be taken seriously. the developers are doing so well since i bought the game. and it's about to get better.

i bought the game shortly after the winter updates. i could not have chosen a better time to grab the game. even at full price. i'm having a lot of fun in the roleplay servers. occasionally hopping around other servers to screw around with other players.
    this is kinda what i saw before making this post. but like any good gamer i provide a good bit of feedback with some ideas to balance out any bad stuff. (i also like to include humor)

good to see everyone is feeling positive about the game so far. i was a bit confuzzled when i saw the overwhelming amount of crud people began to spout recently.

Darklight and jessiebean like this.
  4. jessiebean

jessiebean 2.7182818284590...

The devs are doing great. Think of it this way - Chucklefish is the rare game developer that actually communicates with its players. Not like EA, Bethesda, Nintendo, Sony, you name it - they release games at one stage for a set price. Sure, the company will take into account what THEY think is in demand right now, but as we see from countless reviews they certainly can be hit or miss. And even if said company fixes issues in a later game, its rarely because of direct contact with their armies of players. These companies do what they want and what they think will make them money, and I think you get what I'm saying. Chucklefish is different. Of course they're aiming to make money - these people develop for a living, am I wrong? But Chucklefish speaks directly with players and is actively engaged in not only posting regular updates, but talking to the players in the forums. They developed the game specifically with support for the community of modders. They take into account player frustrations and directly address them. Therefore, a lot of people seize the opportunity to talk to the game developers by complaining, spouting negativity, and attempting to get attention. Heck, I'm not saying every Starbound complaint isn't justified. There are things I'd change or like the devs to implement. But my God if the forums are stuffed full of the same types of threads and posts over and over again - 'CF promised us this and didn't deliver' 'i hate how shallow this game is' 'there's no content' 'look how good Terraria is!' I think the flamers and trolls are honestly enjoying the attention they get, and the feeling that maybe the devs are watching. AGAIN I'm not saying that complaints and frustrations are never justified. But they're so repetitive and almost humorous now that you've got to just sigh and start poking the trolls out there with brooms and try and make them retreat into their caves. just my two cents.

tl;dr yeah, don't worry about all the negativity you see. make YOUR impressions of Starbound based on YOUR reading/interpretation of playing the game, reading the dev blog, etc

Loki743Ace likes this.
  5. Fleetfeet

Fleetfeet Tentacle Wrangler

"Suffice it to say; if you are lacking empathy and/or understanding about the situations surrounding the devs, game, and development -- CF is going to look really bad no matter what. And your opinions will always be based on lacking information."

"Or not -- you can just pull from your personal experience and hate-talk. It doesn't really matter."

"I think he might also be thinking the "No Matter What" Tiy quote -- which, again, at the time was the truth -- until circumstances dictated otherwise."

"Honestly, given The MechE's complete lack of experience with anything prior to Upbeat Giraffe, I don't think he even knows what he is referring to beyond that which he heard from several of the "you betrayed us Chucklefish" folks."

...not saying you or anyone else were intentionally attacking him, but I can absolutely see why he'd feel that way, and it isn't unjustified. There's definitely an "us vs them" thing that starts happening, and it's kinda hostile.

6. Loki743Ace

Loki743Ace Void-Bound Voyager

on a small note i wouldn't compare chucklefish with any triple-a developers. most of them aren't allowed to listen to the player base due to some difficulties. most of the main devs can't choose wether or not to implement features in the current game or scrap it and move on with the next game.

this is also why a lot of players like indies now. it's like having a close friend make a game.

chucklefish has likely met up with some of the difficulties the big guys had while they worked with terraria, and decided to take a chance with their own way (DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!) (sorry i couldn't resist) i chose this game over terraria since it has a better aesthetic(<did i type that correctly?) and because i heard the devs were more active with the player base. now i'm gonna try and chip in what i can with some feedback every now and then to influence some stuff here and there that could make the game a bit better.

7. It's one thing to complain for nonsensical/false reasons, it's another to make constructive criticism. Critique is often mistaken as just negative feedback, but it's essential for development. Otherwise, these problems that are complained about will continue to exist in-game.

After all the hype build up over the past year, the negative backlash was kinda expected. The moving period for Chucklefish was a dark time for the community. Lots of miscommunications, terrible moderators who are no longer around, trusts being broken, and this place being split in two. Heck, everyone got pissed off due to Horse AI! It was claimed to have been a "joke" by the developers, but the fact that it dragged on like it did says otherwise. But I'm just rambling now.

People do take this negativity thing too far admittedly. They treat Chucklefish like the worst gaming company out there for mistakes they've made, which is a huge stretch compared to other greater evils (*cough*EA*cough*. They're only human, and while I'm no longer as enthusiastic of a supporter as I used to be, I still respect Chucklefish for continuing to develop the game.

8. only if you read it in a specific "you" and not a general "you", which is why I was careful to differentiate in the second post. So again. No one attacked him :facepalm:

SleepySquidd likes this.
  9. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Starbound is developing at a fine pace, the game is quite playable and pretty fun it its current state anyway.

If you're bored with Starbound and bored of modded Starbound, take up modding. It's a wonderful hobby with a beautiful community behind it. I've never felt so accepted by a group of people as I do with the other modders that have helped me out.

TheBigBlueSerpent and Darklight like this.
  10. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Oh, i havent heard said quote, if there is such a qoute then my bad. Sorry @The MechE .

11. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

"promise" should always be in quotes in this case, but is often mistakenly overused/misused. here, at least.

12. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

I think that people really need to remember that it's a game and it's still in a development cycle. Those are never a short process. Expecting delays should be the norm, and that's just for building/programming. I won't get into the logistics of "put X idea in game Y and then see if it breaks." which is a flowchart of ages too. That's before bug hunting. It's a very involved grueling process, and a labor of love. You do not make games you think suck. Trust me.

One of the things I love about the Indie process is they don't have AAA publishers pushing them for early release. That last game from Bethesda/ 2K /insert AAA company here? Almost everyone of em has had at least one bomb because the publisher said "I don't care if it's done, we need money now, because reasons"

Patience isn't just a virtue, it's a requirement in the gaming industry. Unfortunately, we've also kinda trained our gamers to be a little twitchy >.>

:badger:

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

WB just stopped all digital sales of the PC version of Batman because they pushed out something that was too buggy and staggery, something that should have been fixed before release. This is a huge PR misfire thanks to WE SHIP ON THIS DATE NOW.

And yeah, as I've mentioned before, back when I was working for a game developer, a year was the ballpark for even some of the low-cost, not-exactly-boat-rocking shelf-fodder we were cranking out.

Jonesy and Mackinz like this.
  14. jessiebean

jessiebean 2.7182818284590...

while I agree with you, that's sort of my point. regardless of the motives/difficulties of big developers, they simply can't listen to the player base to the extent indies ones can. Whether or not that's their fault is a different monster. but yes, I think it's great that Chucklefish is taking feedback and making strides in being a truly different game than Terraria.

15. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

yeah, saw that earlier today and all I could think was "THIS is my point about AAA doesn't always make it awesome."

:badger:

16. KaZe_DaRKWIND

KaZe_DaRKWIND Big Damn Hero

This is pretty much it. People are complaining because the stable isn't updated as often and took it as them abandoning the game. While I do think they put it off a little longer than they should of, I will definitely be getting this once it hits 1.0.
    The problem actually is more because developers are favoring the consoles more. The port was done by a mighty 12 people.

17. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

PR misfire or not, the only people who will feel the consequences are the developers.

I've never ever heard about a person having an enjoyable time working at a big AAA company.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  18. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

We all know they only did that because of Steam's new Refund policy not because they are good people

19. Subaru7

Subaru7 Void-Bound Voyager

I like the game, I figure I got my money worth a few hundred hours playtime ago, and have been very with the updates, I just wish I didnt get separate hours when playing in unstable lol. Anyways they could keep this up for years and I would be HAPPY with the updates and no release date, all the better to keep me amused. Too many game companies will push out a buggy POS because they hit their release date, even if the devs dont want to. This has been the early access game I have enjoyed more than any other and one of the top 2 indie games... I got way too many i put oh 4 hours in then never touched again.

Dont take the people complaining on the forums too seriously as some people just live to harass on forums, can always leave for a couple months then come back and try it again.

This game is 15$ compared to other things youve spent 15$ on did you get your times worth or enjoyments worth? Now I will go have a semi enjoyable dinner that will cost 16$ and consume about an hour of my time at the restaurant and wish I could have used it on more games like this, bah to this horrible desire to eat sustenance,

20. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

I have faith in this game as much as I have for the Emperor (That's a lot).

Anyway, there are a few things that even I can't handle without being a little upset...

1. I'm not a fan of tiny birds or slugs or other critters.

2. Biome-themed vanity sets are boring.

3. Races were supposed to be more or less equal, but Novakids get to be gunsmiths while others don't!