1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

i like this game but. people keep saying negative things.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Loki743Ace, Jun 24, 2015.

?

do you like starbound in it's current state? do you think it will get better by 2016, or sooner?

1. yes i like starbound in it's current state.

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. no i don't like starbound in it's current state

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. it is going to be better.

52 vote(s)
    70.3%
  4. it is not going to be better.

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Loki743Ace

Loki743Ace Void-Bound Voyager

recently i looked at the forums on steam for starbound. and some recent posts on this forum. and they seem a bit too negative. i'm worried about this game right now. and i hear the devs are slowing down. the game went from a survival sandbox/rpg. to a rpg ripped from a sandbox. ( i really hope the end product goes back to sandbox rpg or something better)

the devs seemed to have stopped around a year and a half ago i read. and they conned all the players. but they come back to give it a major update. and the games modders are what seem to keep giving it life. the devs come up with a brainstorm of product to fill in a gap left by the pause. and now we are getting somewhere. good work there.

i bought the game about a month ago. and i really loved it. i still like the game thanks to it's community of good players. the game has received a steady amount of content since the winter update meaning the devs are back to fix it and finally give us the game we wanted. another update is due. and it's coming sooner than expected.

tl;dr (i intend sarcasm in this part here.)

this game came out to steal your rupees. it did.
    the devs laughed at you while you weeped in your bed covers.
    some of the devs come back and say "we should at least finish this game."
    they brainstorm features that could make the game better for the players and the modders.
    winter update.
    solar update.
    this post.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------< big f'ing line :p

and now i have some ideas that might JUST help.

the current tiers and how they could be fixed.

try to add more craftable weapon and armor variety. the craftable weapons should be better than most chest items. rare materials will help with this.

my example: tier 1 iron weapons and armors. subtier 1 upgraded weapons and armor. upgraded armor almost matches the tier 2 armor. upgraded weapons are better than weapons found in chests for tier 2. but are matched with tier 2 craftables. subtier 1 rng armor and weapons can help too.

try to give the games difficulty a makeover. in this part the optimal difficulty for casual, normal and hard would look like:
    (hardcore is after hard)
    • casual- the suit tech would work like it is now. all have oxygen. from tier 1 and above. no hunger. [lose pixels. upon death]

•normal-oxygen is handled separately from tier 2 and above. hunger is active and easy to handle. [lose ore. lose pixels. upon death]

•hard-tier 2 styled oxygen. hunger is active at full force. temperature is added. [lose most items. lose ore. lose pixels upon death]

as you can see i've added a hard mode to give the player a better choice as to how they want to play.

the quests system should be mostly avoidable. mostly.

players who want to concentrate on building or screwing around should not be blocked from progressing through the higher tiered planets simply because they ignore the quests. and instead should be allowed full access to the nano suits through extremeley rare finds (a 10% chance of finding a written tech card with a nano suit for fire planets). this means that they are mereley stalled. and quests offer a shortcut to the suits.

aliens. seriously guys. all the planets we visit are alien. there is no "alien" biome. it doesn't exist. call it the eyeball biome. the living biome. the *!#%^ potato pizza of destruction biome that has a brain at the core because life is symbiotic on this planet and ebrolution is too skewed to give it any good name biome.

underground mini-biomes. because making anything bigger is too much to handle.

it's not. try to give the game just a little more purpose with the underground biomes at least. and try to link these biomes. you can't have 30 underground biomes with two arcade consoles and some stuff without some kind of linking. idk try make it so this minibiome has a kind of larger one close by.

at the moment i have no more ideas. i'll be making more of these in the later future.

another teal;dear.(don't take this too seriously)

gimme moar guns and some god tier armor.
    this game is too easy. even hardcore is a joke. i'm gonna play dark souls now. (praise that sun)
    i hate quests. i hate this pirate guy. i hate this outpost. why can't i just go to the planet i want when i want.
    ALIENS?? RAELLYE!?!!?!! I THOUGHT THIS CUTE LITTLE BUGGER WAS AN ALIEN. WELL APARANTLEY NOT. !@$#*% YOU.
    what this entire planet was used to host the 3798 humans vs apex gaming turnament? wtf?

2. The tldr; you've been misinformed. Development has not slowed down; Stable updates are just few and far apart. The devs never stopped working on the game. Most of the negative things currently on the forum are a backlash from users unhappy with their disciplining stemming from their own infractions.

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

The main issues the angry folks have with starbound (based on my possibly flawed observations):

1. There was a period of time when updates were sparse (they were moveing offices and stuff), a big chunk of the community lost faith with chucklefish at that time (im not including myself here) and thus there was a lot of negativity at the time (theres still some, especially on the steam forums, but its not nearly as bad as back then).

2. That they missed the first ETA didnt help either.

3. Also, that they publish other games.

4. That the game seems to be very different from the early concept.

The main negativity comes from people that dosent know how game development work. This is why you shouldent worry about these issues:

1. Moveing offices takes time, the move itself may not be that long but you need to get everything running on the new site and establish a routine again. While it can still be considered bad i would have some understanding for them for not keeping us up to date under such circumstances.

2. Early ETA's (commonly being internal ETA's and not shared, but you cant do that if you kickstart) are pretty much allways missed (Its extremly hard to predict the future that far in game development, most games spend a year or two in development before we even get to know about it).

3. Publishing games arent the same as developing games. Most people dosent see the difference.

4. Thats the norm, games often end up completely different from the early concept. But leaving feedback (such as "Dev's perhaps you should focus a bit on bringing back more of a sandbox feel, heres why, and heres how i suggest doing so", is kinda what early access is all about).

Basically, you have little to no reason to worry about the negativity (well, worrying about the direction of the game is valid, but you should leave feedback and discuss it on the forums and if possible with the devs). Currently the development of starbound is moveing at a decent pace with frequent nightly updates sometimes even several times a day (Give or take, sometimes the auto updater thingy stops working for a few days).

The stable updates are big but far inbetween, the reason for this is player feedback (something the angry folks choose to ignore). A lot of players didnt like having to make a big download every day (changing one line of code in a file still forces them to replace the whole file, so a small update can still be a big download). That said, its off course open for debate if they made them a tad too far in between (I would prefear slightly smaller updates with a tad more frequency myself).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Akre, Loki743Ace, TrueEdge and 5 others like this.
  4. SobeR

SobeR Orbital Explorer

what concerns me about this game is that I cant get back to my ship easily. It really becomes pain in the ass !!!

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

dig with more forethought then?

6. SobeR

SobeR Orbital Explorer

pickaxes are also horrible which makes digging also a pain .....

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

pickaxes are good for ores and harder stone. Everything else you use the MM

8. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

I'll sum it up quick.

1. The internet sucks

2. Haters gonna hate

3. Do what you enjoy

*drops mic*

:badger:

Oberic, Loki743Ace, Jonesy and 3 others like this.
  9. Fleetfeet

Fleetfeet Tentacle Wrangler

"Haters gonna hate" indeed. It's kinda a universal truth that people are going to be upset and complain about games on the internet... but very often that's as much a problem with the person as the game.

My advice? Forget about starbound for 6 months, then come back and marvel at the ton of new stuff that was added. No game is going to be the only game you ever play again, so once you get bored or tired of a game STOP PLAYING IT. Far too often I see people get sick of a game, keep playing it anyways, and then convince themselves that the game itself is bad or that someone has wronged them by not living up to their personal ideals.

Darklight, jessiebean and Nirbil like this.
  10. Nirbil

Nirbil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agreed. I actually didn't play Starbound for a while; not since last October, actually. Maybe even before that. I came back just over a week ago and my pancreas exploded. So much content to take in, and it feels a lot more alive to me now.

Darklight and Fleetfeet like this.
  11. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

You're both dead on. I saw the game back during the original Pre-release/Alpha opening and admittedly was leery of it at first. Now I sank down my cash and I'm glad I did. I'm enjoying Starbound.

Yeah, people starting ridiculous flame wars for games they play is a pretty notorious habit. Any anonymous fool can scream and cry on the web. I always have the same question though, and ironically no one ever answers. If you hate it so much, why are you still playing??? World of Warcraft is notorious for people who have been playing (at $15 A MONTH) for years and rave on their forums about how Blizzard is a bunch of sell-outs, no good, nasty, etc. All i can think is "You must really hate it to be playing for 3+ years bro" lol

Darklight likes this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    (The calmer version of the phenomenon.)

Sherio88 and Darklight like this.
  13. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Yep, seems about right.
    Everything's going to plan... Muahahahaha...

14. jessiebean

jessiebean 2.7182818284590...

The Steam reviews make me laugh. People keep accusing Chucklefish of dishonesty, deception, taking the money pledged to them and throwing it out the window....it's really ridiculous. We are privileged to play a game in Early Access that already has enormous amounts of content. If the enormous amounts of content aren't up your ally of interest, well, of course you will complain that it is shallow and empty. In my opinion, Starbound in its current state has tons more content than your average game on the market. Development has NOT slowed down, no matter what the complainers say, and it's only supposed to get better.

The content provided happens to be perfect for me and many others. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will find infinite hours of fun and enjoyment in Starbound :)

Tamorr, Jonesy, Loki743Ace and 3 others like this.
  15. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

This ^

Steam reviews should never be taken seriously. Kotaku has a monthly blog note that will pick a game and go pick out the funniest reviews for it. Sometimes they're outright hilarious.

jessiebean and Loki743Ace like this.
  16. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

In my opinion, Starbound has such negative reviews because the devs failed to deliver on their promises. They promised this game would be released in 2013, and now it's mid 2015 (they also promised a 2014 release, but you can see how that went).

I think the hate is justified. People don't like to be lied to. At least they stopped giving out release dates. They should have done that two years ago.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  17. I didn't say anything about reviews. Also; you can't fail to deliver on promises when 1; the time frame in which to create said promise is still pending (aka; still in development) and 2; the "promise" in question was a legitimate promise/contractual/legal obligation, and not say a concept, want, or feeling. As I said in another, now closed, thread; complaining about them falling short of "promises" right now is like complaining that the restaurant you ordered food in hasn't made good on your eggs -- when the meal is still being cooked and has yet to be served.

As for release dates; first was missed due to overestimation of ability. second was missed because they decided it was better to make the game up to the standards of the community, not their original vision. This was explained by Tiy. CF has also apologized profusely for the missed dates. If you still want to sit in a pit of anger about it, that's on you -- a lot of others, including CF, have moved on.

CF didn't "lie" to anyone. Anything that was said or "promised" was definitely the truth at the time. There are just some circumstances that disallow what was said/wanted from continuing. I'll use another example (an extreme one to get my point across): I promise you I will be at Starbucks on the Corner of A and B at 7:00PM tomorrow. Meteor destroys that city block. Just because I can no longer meet you at that location/time/date -- doesn't mean I lied to you previously.

Suffice it to say; if you are lacking empathy and/or understanding about the situations surrounding the devs, game, and development -- CF is going to look really bad no matter what. And your opinions will always be based on lacking information. If you feel so strongly that you've been "wronged" by whatever, I definitely suggest taking a moment to chill out and dig up the many threads and posts of CF explaining what happened, why it happened, and how they're adjusting to be better because of what happened. Or not -- you can just pull from your personal experience and hate-talk. It doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, it's ultimately up to you to decide whether or not you want to dedicate the energy to being upset, angry, or disappointed with situations involving a video-game that doesn't directly affect you personally.

Tamorr, Jonesy, Luna and 3 others like this.
  18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

A ETA is a estimate (ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival), it's not a promise (not even close).

19. I think he might also be thinking the "No Matter What" Tiy quote -- which, again, at the time was the truth -- until circumstances dictated otherwise.

20. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Honestly, given The MechE's complete lack of experience with anything prior to Upbeat Giraffe, I don't think he even knows what he is referring to beyond that which he heard from several of the "you betrayed us Chucklefish" folks.