Modding Help I have a few newbie questions about Map Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by pink_stardrop, Jul 20, 2017.

1. pink_stardrop

pink_stardrop Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,

as the title already says, I have some questions about Map Editing which I haven't found answered in any of the tutorials here and I hope that somebody would be able to help me please.
    I have never done any editing or modding before but I would love to try myself on creating a map. Maybe these are stupid questions, I apologize in advance!

My questions are:

1. If I want to make a recolouration of the map (lets say turn it all black and white), I just simply recolour whatever tile I want to edit in the huge tilesheet.png? since the tilesheet file (I'm looking at the spring_outdoorsTileSheet right now) contains graphics from outside of the farm too, will those tiles that I have edited/recoloured be changed in town as well?

2. Is the vanilla tilesheet file expandable? If I had an 'item' I would like to create that isn't already on the tilesheet, can I just add more tiles on the bottom of the tiles? Or is adding new things not possible?

Thank you in advance and I hope I picked the correct place to ask my questions

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@pink_stardrop
      1. If you want to recolor pieces of the map, then yes, you would open the tilesheet containing the piece you want to edit in an image editing program like Photoshop and recolor the tile specifically. However, this will change the item in any map that also draws from the same tile. So, for example, if you recolored any of the bushes in the spring_outdoorsTilesheet for your farm, then those bushes would appear altered in every map in Stardew Valley that draws from those tiles as well.

2. Adding new items to tilesheets is possible! Again, you need an image editing program like Photoshop to do it, and you need to make sure you expand and add to the image so that the tilesheet is able to produce the images in a 16x16 format.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
        pink_stardrop likes this.
      • pink_stardrop

Thanks SO MUCH for the quick answer, I appreciate this so much!! I already recoloured the paths file and it was easy! I am using GIMP for now, there are a few tiles which are empty, could I in theory just fill those tiles or would this not work?

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@pink_stardrop It greatly depends. To be absolutely sure, check all seasonal versions of the tilesheet you're working on. Sometimes those empty spaces do not stay empty depending on the season. In spring, the spring_town tilesheet has a group of empty spaces that the summer_town and winter_town fill in. If the tile stays empty in all seasons, it should be safe to edit. :)

• pink_stardrop

Thank you again!!!!! :nuruflirt:

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Just a note on your 2nd question in the OP, some map files (namely SpouseRooms) will not correctly read anything extra you add to some tilesheets (for SpouseRooms that means the towninterior file); meaning you can expand the tilesheet downwards but things you add below the default may not work for some maps.

• pink_stardrop

Thank you, I guess I will just try and do trial & error, I didn't plan to touch anything else apart from the buildings and the actual mal you play on