1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

i had a great idea!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ravidor.pro124, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ravidor.pro124

ravidor.pro124 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hello people of the large starbound comunity
    i wanted to share a great idea!
    i first played with staround old versions (coala and more) and i saw that really cool assets folder and learnd about it
    then i saw the universe foulder and i had no clue what is it for.
    i searched a little in the internet and found out that the foulder countains the changes you did to stars (like building or demolitioning evrything:DD) and then i fought:
    why does no one does'nt make maps with that little shit?
    and then i tried to make a building and sent the universe files into another computer and it worked all currectly!
    so i want you people to try and use this new way of creating missions and other shit?
    so will you try a new way of making cool maps?
    will you realize that theres a new way of making qusts?

2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know about quests, but I know that it's possible to give world files between people with the same computer OS.

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

It should also work just fine between two different OSes now, because CF changed how the engine works so that all OSes generate the same universe given that no universe-altering mods are installed.

TrueEdge likes this.
  4. So the way it works, is every installation has a default universe seed. This varies between each OS. It's absolutely possible to change this configuration to whatever you want. Keep in mind that sharing planets that have been modified will only work if they share the same universe seed. It's the same thing that was used to generate different Minecraft worlds.

Anyway, the next server I host will probably use a unique seed so the players can't use one of the several databases online that track that sorta stuff.

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

According to Chucklefish, this is no longer the case. All OSes share the same seed.

6. Ah, I thought it was just Linux and Windows that were identical.

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

This is basically how multiplayer works......
    Also mods like "Your Starbound Crew" has essentially used this technique to create unique dungeon worlds originally.

Quests require indept knowledge in modding - if you want to do a proper quest.
    At best you could make challenge rooms and send it to others.

8. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I really have no idea. I don't think anyone has ever raised that particular question before.

Ever.

Under any circumstance.

The Squid likes this.
  9. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

I did know this pretty little Hungarian guy at one point and I'm pretty sure he asked a similar question...

10. ravidor.pro124

ravidor.pro124 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

what i meant by quests was if you can add the mod called force generetors (unbreakble blocks) and make some staff with signs and all of that

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Possible, but reward:effort ratio is not in good favor of the maker of said quests.