1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback I got a Dev Question about dev NSFW Mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hekete, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

You can make a custom object that plays whatever animation you want when you interact with it. For a ladder you would make an object that causes your character to disappear, then plays a climbing animation on the ladder, then your character reappears at the top after the animation finishes. The animation would be part of the object not your character. You would just need to make climbing sprites for every race, gender, hair, and armor, and have your object play the correct ones depending on the character that used the ladder object, which I am fairly certain is all possible.

2. Hekete

Hekete Subatomic Cosmonaut

@__@ that sounds like a hell of allot of work but thank you for letting me know that this is possible.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem I see with @Astasia 's suggestion, is...

1). Yes, it is a lot of work. That's why CF never did it, it's rather unnecessary with elevators, grappling hooks, double jumps, rocket boots, etc going on,
    2). You don't "climb" the ladder, it's more of you "teleport" to the top of the ladder after a short cutscene. This means no stopping in the middle of the ladder, having no control over your movement, etc. You start at the bottom, you appear at the top. No in-between. That might be OK for some niche things where you know you won't care about stopping in the middle, but it would be rather impractical for any other use.

You COULD, however, use an Off-screen elevator.

Put a "Background Door" (like the Challenge Area portals) on the bottom and top. When you enter, your character disappears and the screen pans up to the top and your character re-appears.

No need for tracks, wires, moving platforms, etc.

This is assuming @Astasia 's suggestion would actually work. I don't know; I've never tried to mess with animations, and making the character disappear, etc.

4. Hekete

Hekete Subatomic Cosmonaut

hmmmm interesting idead Xylia.