Modding Discussion I find it strange that finding recipies is based on a item the recipe refers to...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Slash0mega, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Slash0mega

Slash0mega Subatomic Cosmonaut

As the title says, its strange that recipes are refereed to by what they craft, rather than the recipe itself. I think that means that each item can only have one way to craft it, or at the very least, if you learn one way to craft it, you will learn all the ways to craft it...

any thoughts?

2. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

I believe it is possible to use two crafting recipes, I've had a discussion about this in the modding IRC...

The title and your post seem to contradict ideas - Your title says (To me) "Why are blueprints discovered by picking up part of their recipe" while you post says "The current system is inefficient if it does what I think it does".

On the first one: Blueprints can be discovered by anything, as long as that item is told to unlock the blueprint, it's not locked to just the item's components.

To the second one: You are correct that the current system does what you said it does. The current system is quite buggy, as can be expected by the modding of a beta game.

3. Slash0mega

Slash0mega Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry that i am not very good at getting ideas across. :(
    What i meant was, I find it strange that when unlocking a blueprint, you refere the mod to the a item name, instead of the .recipe file
    for example, I made a mod that teaches recipes on being picked up, one recipe was ShipWall.recipe, which had a way to craft apexshipwall in it.
    but, in order to unlock the recipe, i had to tell it to unlock apexshipwall instead of Shipwall.Recipie

4. Matterialize

Matterialize Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've noticed this too. It's not actually the recipe files that are being referenced in the species files under "defaultBlueprints". It's the actual item files themselves that are being referenced. I imagine it's the same story with the defaultBlueprints in player.config.

I first saw this in apex.species. The starter clothing "apexnavypants" is listed there as a defaultBlueprint, but the actual recipe file for these pants is called apexnavylegs.recipe.

This whole time I've been naming my recipe files identically to the item names, so I never noticed this until today.

5. Black--snow

The Item files are the main trunk of a tree, everything strings off of it. It's like this to prevent confusion I believe - It's a lot easier to mod when you're referencing one file as opposed to two.

6. Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1 Big Damn Hero

I see what problems come from this though, namely all recipes to craft a specific item will be unlocked simultaneously, even if you only want one of them to be discovered from one method.

7. Black--snow

Very true. :)