1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel as if Chucklefish missed a great opportunity.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Palicence, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

So I was perusing my codexes when I found a book called "The Slibbler" which told the story of a creature that boarded ships and killed the crew. I think with the new update of mechs and boarding space ships they should have made it possible (a very rare chance) to find a space ship with these creatures instead of a crew (more or less as a joke).

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Well, that mostly depends on whether a creature like that is even real, or if it's not just a rumor, not unlike the dragons mentioned at the beginning.

3. Palicence

I know it is supposed to be a Hylotl myth, and I thinks that's another reason it would be great.

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

It's a snipe.

5. Palicence

Yeah, but Snipes aren't nightmare fuel.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Not everything mentioned needs to exist and be experienced. Sometimes it's better just being this silly thing as universe background color.

7. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

The slibbler also isnt necessarily hostile, as the recorded accounts of it's appearances vary. From the lorebook itself:

"One spacefarer declared that he had seen a Slibbler. However, contrary to common belief, the Slibbler wasn't hostile at all.
    It floated over to a dirty spaceship, licked it clean, and then departed without a trace."

Though based on description, it sounds like it could also be a part of the ruin.

8. Palicence

Except according to the Hylotl it originated from under the oceans, and it collected the tongues of it's victims.

9. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

The whole point of the lorebook is that all the listed claims have varying levels of accuracy though, and that you should take them all with a grain of salt. In fact, the very last line in the lorebook reads:" the Slibbler made a noise similar to that of "blowing raspberries", but everyone knows that in space, no one can hear you "pbbbt"."

Honestly, I feel like this is just a silly story traded between spacefarers, more or less like the "man door hand hook car door" meme.

10. Palicence

I know it was a joke book, and I was saying that it would be a fun joke to incorporate it.

11. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Nope, no clever tie in with the lore books. They're basically just garbage

12. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

"As such, it is no surprise that various individuals have traded tales of a mythical beast that roams the ocean of stars: the confounding Slibbler."
    "Presumably the creature latches on to ships, cracks them open, then "slibbles" the people inside, whatever that may mean."
    "Perpetrators of these stories claim that the Slibbler's tongues are in fact the tongues of its victims, taken as some sort of twisted comedic trophy."

"Ocean of stars"
    "Presumably"
    "Whatever that may mean"
    "Perpetrators of these stories"
    "Claim"

You're wrong on several accounts. Nothing about the book ever mentions actual oceans or the Hylotl, and collecting tongues is described as just another rumor.

It's not related to Hylotl specifically, it just happens to be preserved in the library, no different than the Miniknog-issued joke book, the Freedom poem, or Ironbeak's journal. And even then it's difficult to say if these books actually exist in the lore, or if they're simply a way of including contest winner entries in the game somehow.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
    oinkgamer and Roskii Heiral like this.
  13. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Also, claiming something is a missed opportunity implies that it will never happen (which may or may not be the case). As you mentioned, you would like to see this added to the game. So, instead of chiding chucklefish for "missing" an opportunity, perhaps it would be wise to make a suggestion that they include your idea in a coming update.

The only thing consistent in starbound, is change.