Digital I drew my Floran Char (first Floran i ever drew)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ryan The Floran, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Ryan The Floran

Ryan The Floran Void-Bound Voyager

Here is my attempt at drawing my floran char from Starbound, I already have a small simple backstory in mind and everything as well, nothing too special but it's nice to have a bit of a personalised character! Also any kind of critisism would be greatly appreciated, i'm trying to improve my drawing skills and i still have a long way to go (especially when it comes to anathomy and shading) So any kind of help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  2. Ryan The Floran

This is my Floran in-game that i kinda took as a ref.

Attached Files:

3. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

While you are right in that you need shading, I think usage of layers for neater coloring would be necessary too. Your proportions seem sound and I think it works, though it could still use some work.
    Overall, I'm not really the guy who should be critiquing considering his own place as an artist. :p

Ryan The Floran likes this.
  4. Ryan The Floran

How does the layering thing work for colouring? I just draw my things in real life with a pencil and then scan it. I then trace it using Krita on a second layer and i then just use the fill tool to colour...in other words i am really not experienced at all when it comes to digital stuff, so do you know any good sites where i could learn about the colouring stuff and how to utilise layers in making a drawing look better? Do you have any tips yourself you could give me? I'd really appreciate it ^^

5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Well, if you're going to color with digital, I actually recommend tracing over the drawing on a second layer with any sort of vector tool, or just normally if you have a pen tablet, and then coloring beneath it.
    Alternatively, you could do your coloring on a layer above, but have it in multiply mode so it doesn't clash with the linework.

6. Ryan The Floran

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to learn a bit about the layering and tools...yeah without a drawing tablet it's kinda hard to do this stuff at times, but i do my best. But anyway i'll keep it in mind for future pieces!