Modding Help I can't figure out what's wrong

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BlueLeafeon, Sep 19, 2016.

1. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

A person says that they can't get my Playable Cat mod to work, and that the game crashes when they try to play a file. I asked for their starbound log file, but the error isn't one I understand. Sounds like the game is trying to generate a map based on species, and I have no idea how or why that could even happen. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is because I can't replicate the error. They say only my Playable Cat mod crashes. Other racial mods don't.

Can anyone shed a light on what's going wrong? I'll attach their starbound log file.

Attached Files:

2. Mirau

Mirau Pangalactic Porcupine

It definitely has to do with the Playable Cats mod. I'll try to replicate the error on my client for ya.
    (btw, there are quite a lot of additional errors in that log that could very easily be causing this conflict)

3. BlueLeafeon

Yeah, sounds like it's trying to generate a starting planet/location by the keyword 'cat.' Either that or the ship is broke, but the ship works perfectly for me so I have no idea what's going on.

Which absolutely puzzles me because I downloaded a handful of the same mods to try and see if there were conflictions somewhere, but nothing made the error show up.

and yeah, one of the mods definitely has some broken items. I told the person to let the creators of said items know about the errors, not sure if they have or not. Thanks for trying to help. I've been busting my brains trying to figure it out.

For the record, the original Play as a cat mod on steam does the same thing, apparently. But since I can't get the error to spawn for me, I don't know what to do to fix it. And it really sounds like something that shouldn't be happening, period.

4. Mirau

Everything has been fine for me. Is this possibly something to do with 1.1.1? Or was this prior to the new update?

5. BlueLeafeon

This was prior to the update, unless they have nightly. But does nightly support steam workshop?

I honestly think this has to be something related to another mod, but I cannot for the life of me figure out which one it could be. Frackin Universe was my first suspect, but I downloaded it and everything plays fine, so I have no clue.

6. Magnusito

Magnusito Subatomic Cosmonaut

He has an insane ammount of mods, maybe one of this is causing that error and not yours, they sound pretty cat-like too:

Code:
    [12:13:27.160] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'More Starbound Critters 1.3' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\731549837\contents.pak'
    [12:13:27.160] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'PestControl' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\733506855\contents.pak'
    [12:13:27.161] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'Felins' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\729429063\contents.pak'
    [12:13:27.161] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'felinsfurplus' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\729429377\contents.pak'
    [12:13:27.161] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'felinsobjectplus' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\732985336\contents.pak'
    [12:13:27.161] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'BetterEyes-Felin' at 'D:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\738455528\contents.pak'

Mirau likes this.
  7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Pest Control is mine, the Felin mods are Kawa's (aside from Better Eyes Felin which should be a sprite replacement) and I can virtually guarantee that our mods are not to blame. More Starbound Critters, maybe.

8. BlueLeafeon

The only reason felin would possibly conflict with Playable Cats is if they both used the term "cat" in their things, which clearly, they do not.

I believe I have already tested More Critters before the 1.1.1 update. It'll be broken now, though, I'm sure.

9. BeckyRAT

BeckyRAT Astral Cartographer

Ok, so the log file IS indeed mine, and I'm going to clear up a few questions.
    As I'm typing up this little reply, I'm testing it on my main monitor, so!

I don't have Nightly. It's default Steam-downloaded.
    All other race mods I have, still work even after the newest update. (Kemono, Oracana, Felin, Avali, and Familiars) I actually forgot about the Sergal, but I only keep it cause a friend uses it, but I'm PRETTY sure that wouldn't cause the conflict.
    Unsubbed to Pest Control; Tried to play as the cat (modified file that BL gave me,) and instant crash.
    Unsubbing to More Critters now; Again, instant crash.
    Tried deleting that character (since it was one from before all these unsubs, just to be sure) = still crashing.

Sooo yeah. I don't know what is the cause. I'm gonna try one more thing; unsubbing to everything BUT the races and frackin' Universe.
    End result ..............
    IT WORKED.
    Ok, sooooo.... what could the cause BE?

EDIT #1 SCREW IT. I'm going to go DOWN the list because a few of those still installed worked with the cats... but I'm going to uninstall one by one and see.

EDIT #2 OK FOUND IT!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753790671
    A.V.I.A.N. Ship AI! Strange... but maybe that'll help you all?

ONE LAST TIME EDIT;
    Both my GF and I were playing with the same mods and she to, had to restart without the AVIAN Ship AI that I posted above.
    ALSO
    [​IMG]
    More than welcome to use that gif for anything!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  10. BlueLeafeon

I would have never suspected it to be Avian ship AI. o_O

EDIT: Confirmed it myself. Not that I didn't believe you, but I just wanted to see if I could recreate the crash, and it worked.

I'm going to have to download it and reverse-engineer it to see what's up.

EDIT: Okay, I think I see what might be causing Cats to crash, but none of the other species:
    [​IMG]
    I actually have no clue if this is it or not, but considering all the other species you use are listed here, this has to be what's up. If it's not, then I have no clue lol.

I'll contact them and ask them to please add cattechstation.

I'm glad you got the mod to working!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    tatteredtwilight likes this.
  11. Mirau

Another work around would be to add a patch to the Playable Cats mod that adds it in also.

(The catstechstation directory and object files, that is)