I can see a Modification Potential here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hatsya Souji, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Based on how the game is structured, many of its data can be altered through their respective JSON files. I'm piqued to buy this game due to its modding potential, and as a budding sprite artist.

As of this time, the character graphics are all incorporated in a texture atlas, and unable to find one characters' sprites as they're nearly everywhere in the set of texture atlases

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    • Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

yes the game is done with mod support in mind.

we will release full mod support very soon, incl. all the tools we used to create the game.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
      • Hatsya Souji

Hmmm... will a medieval or a high jRPG-esque fantasy total conversion pack be possible here at this point?

• Seminus

you can replace all the artwork if you wish to and create tons of new weapons too even close-compat only.
          As long as you do not want to change the core gameplay you could do that. (Coregameplay I mean the TB battles etc.)

Hatsya Souji likes this.
          • Image Not Available

Image Not Available Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder, can you actually add new things as well or just replace existing stuff?

• Bach

Bach Halfway Developer Developer

There are limits to what you'll be able to add. As Simon mentioned as long as you stick within the realms of a turn-based RPG-ish game you can do a lot.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
              • Image Not Available

My question was more along the line of can you add for example completely new enemy types or would you be limited to overwriting the existing ones?

• Seminus

You can add new enemies yes, and you can tweak the AI presets to some degree but there are some limits on what you achieve.

We do have 6 presets you can tweak and change parameters that will change their behavior. Also you can make them use new weapons, grenades, medkits etc and this changes their behavior too.

So yes you can go quite far I think.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
                  • Hatsya Souji

Can we give a weapon extra commands too in the "command wheel"?

• Image Not Available

That's good to hear then. Another question: what are the capabilities of the campaign editor? Could it create an entire new campaign akin to the original story and modify the vanilla campaign or would we be limited to creating isolated scenario maps? Also, what about graphics? Will we be able to add in new sprites and tilesets and use them in the editor? And will we get an official documentation to the files and values?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
                      • Seminus

You can do both: A totally new story line as well as just editing the original story and change the level or add some new missions.

The same for the graphics: You can add new ones, modify the existing ones etc. No hard limits there.

Documentation: We are not 100% sure how we are going to do it, but most likely some sort of in file documentation + tutorial videos + Wiki documentation. We have to see what works best. :)

• metalwar

metalwar Void-Bound Voyager

I bite my nails. It will be possible to modify or add the abilities of the characters?