1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

I can no longer install the game from Steam

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by tacoderp1337, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tacoderp1337

tacoderp1337 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What started as what was probably a simple issue turned into a massive problem that has effectively taken away all access to the game from me..

A friend called me up on Discord asking me to help them with their game, and I agreed. Problem was, they were using different mods than I was, and it was likely a mixture of Steam workshop and mods downloaded from the forums. We tried checking "allow assets mismatch" in options, but their ship crashed my game when I tried to beam there. Then, we tried downloading some of the mods we each had, but to no avail.
    Finally, I suggested we both use a simplified list of mods, they agreed, and I tried to remove the mods that were not on the list from my game files, the mods in particular being ones downloaded from the forums. However, upon trying to launch the game, it crashed, likely due to the absence of the mods removed and the content of said mods already being loaded onto my character and world files.
    Unfortunately, when I tried to replace them, I discovered that the files were somehow still in the mods folder after having been removed. I tried launching the game again, but it gave the same error, despite the "ghost" mod files being present.
    Frustrated, I tried reinstalling the game from Steam, but upon reinstalling, it froze at a weird "content file locked" error involved with the _CommonRedist folder in the game. I figured the files in there locked themselves to prevent tampering, which I was not.
    Using my backup game files, I tried repairing the Visual C++ files and restarting my computer. It worked momentarily, but it was as if I had just gotten the game for the first time (character wipe, etc.), despite my character/world/mod files and everything still being in the game file.
    I finally tried verifying the game cache through Steam, which proved to be my final, fatal mistake. The game would not reinstall, giving a "missing file privileges" error. I am now essentially and effectively locked out of Starbound in general, and re-verifying the game cache isn't possible if the game isn't installed. At this point, I can only assume the only solution is to ask for a refund and repurchase the whole game, if possible...

And that's my story. Sorry for the wall of text and any rules it might've broken/bent, but I'd really appreciate any help with this issue.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

It sounds like the game was first installed via administrator privileges which are now missing (maybe restricted user account?). Log into an administrator account on your machine and set proper privileges for that folder OR let steam launch as admin.
    Least can cause some issues when turning it off later so i wouldn't recommend that step unless you really know what you're doing.

You could also try deleting the whole folder (make a backup of your data first) and install it from scratch. If you never messed up with privileges i'd also recommend scanning the pc for possible malware or virus infections.

~ Iris ~

3. tacoderp1337

A few problems with that though..
    1. It's a new pc (windows 10), and me being the only user on it, it tells me I already have administrator privileges on it (I think...User Settings at least tells me I do)
    2. That being said, is there any sort of process for letting Steam launch as admin
    3. Trying to delete the whole game folder doesn't work, the "file privileges" thing prevents me from doing so. Also, even if I could (which I've done once during this fiasco), the folder somehow replaces itself...

4. Iris Blanche

5. tacoderp1337

No, as again, I can't even install the game anymore. The problem's gotten to the point where any attempt at installing gives the (Steam) error:

"An error occurred while installing Starbound (missing file privileges):
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\211820\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2015\vc_redist.x64.exe"

I should probably also note that shortly before this the error read:

"An error occurred while installing Starbound (content file locked)"

This was when I tried reinstalling the game, and afterwards repairing the C++ files (I think that's what they were..) using my backups. It seemed to work then, but when I tried verifying the game cache, it wouldn't install and gave the former error

6. Iris Blanche

So also an issue with the steamfolder just another file affected. Hm...the other issue seems to be the same one with just another file affected. Which AV are you using?

~ Iris ~

7. tacoderp1337

Other than the standard windows defender, I have malwarebytes anti-malware. I don't think that's the issue though, malwarebytes let Starbound install/run before this all happened