I can haz Mac mods plz?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by belvedere_mcwolf, Aug 1, 2016.

1. belvedere_mcwolf

belvedere_mcwolf Intergalactic Tourist

As we all know, Stardew Valley was released for Mac and Linux a few short days ago. One of the amazing things about this game, that drew me to it, was the modding community. I am, however, technologically stunted, and I cannot figure out how to get the mods to work with the Stardew Valley Mods Manager, as I have tried making it into an app through Wine Bottler and have had zero success. Which now boils things down to the big cheezburger questions: Is there a simpler way to get the current mods to work on the Mac version of Stardew Valley? Is there a Mac version of the Mods Manager in production? Etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all!

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Not yet, and there probably won't be until 1.1 when SDV itself moves from XNA to Monogame and the new API is released.

Until then, there's a WINE friendly version of SMAPI released. It's not perfect, because it had to be built on 4.0 instead of 4.5 that SMAPI is normally built on, meaning some of the mods use commands that don't work with it, but it is better than nothing in the meantime.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

There is a disparity in the source code between the windows and mac/linux versions, because of this, to support mac/linux mods would require us to create a second version of SMAPI and all its mods.
        We modders do this for free, and we just dont have the time or the capacity to manage two seperate code bases like that.

Hopefully with 1.1 this disparity will disappear and we can work on creating cross-platform mods, but for now we are limited to windows-only.

• Ailsaek

Ailsaek Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there anything like a ballpark estimate for when 1.1 is expected?

• lannihamm

lannihamm Pangalactic Porcupine

• Alouria

Alouria Orbital Explorer

Just thought I'd add, just in case anyone didn't know, xnb file mods like portrait changers or different animal skins can be done on a mac. You need to go to Library, Application Support, Steam, SteamApps, Common, Stardew Valley, Contents, Resources, Content and then whichever file you want to change. So if you have xnb files for portraits, go to the Portraits folder and swap them out. It's good to backup your files as well, just in case!

• pigdog

pigdog Intergalactic Tourist

I have tried this for the fishing xnb file. I can find the application support directory, but there's no folder for Steam. Any thoughts?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Search your directory, you know it to be true...

The application support directory is where the Stardew Valley folder is going to be, and is where you will find your save files. The directory you are going to look for is probably wherever your winebottle is going to be. Something like .../wineprefix/Steam/C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/Stardew Valley.

• pigdog

Thanks for replying! Perhaps this doesn't exist for me as I have downloaded the mac version of the game? i.e. no wine bottle.

• belvedere_mcwolf

belvedere_mcwolf Intergalactic Tourist

thank you all for your input! as i am not tech savvy, i shall wait for 1.1 and hope for the best. in the mean time ill just enjoy the game for what it is. :)

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

• pigdog

@foghorn ermegawd - thank you! That was very simple.

• Ailsaek

Ailsaek Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've got a couple of xnb mods running in my Mac version, most of them cosmetic. I am very very thankful that one of the easy fishing mods works, cos i can't fish to save my life.