1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I brought life to an empty planet.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LLQPM, Nov 16, 2015.

1. LLQPM

LLQPM Void-Bound Voyager

To preface: I have claimed one of the "completely harmless" planets. It, until last night, no alien life, no plant life, no habitats, and no materials. There wasn't even any sort of weather.

but last night...

Last night I found out that I had changed that.

Not through modding, not through any sort of hack or cheat or game mechanics manipulation, but just because I have colonized the planet. See, before the giraffe version of the game came out, I had taken a small planet with heavy rain and dust storms, hollowed out it's core, and began construction on a single, massive, core-connected system. I had a secret lab, and a mech-launch bay that launched you into the atmosphere. I had successfully constructed three towers, complete with concert hall, medical facility, arcade, cafeteria, hot tubs and so much more. I had planned for a total of 6. ( The planet was small, very small. Traversing its surface only took 10 minutes). I was going to create a massive skyrail system to connect the towers. Alas, it was not meant to be. All that progress was completely eradicated when giraffe came along.

I am, however, two things: Stubborn and persistent.
    I have started on this previously aforementioned planet. I have 3 planned towers thus far, though none are comepleted as of this post. And for the longest time, only the buildings and a path I hollowed out of the core were all I had. I leveled out my planet's surface (which is tedious at best.) I made artificial lakes (two, with two more planned lakes) I started planting trees. Despite all the trees I had planted (and it was a LOT. approximately 350 trees thus far) none of that had any effect on the lack of alien life. When, however, I planted GRASS, and FLOWERED GRASS, I traveled up high, and suddenly, where there had not been life before, I had flying alien life on my planet.

I don't know if any of this really matters, but I felt the need to put it here anyway.

The TL:DR version:

Plant trees and grass on an uninhabited planet, and you may get habitation.

Yzzey, Hawk Novablast, Casmyr and 5 others like this.
  2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Would you mind telling us what kinds of life you got? Airborne, hostile, friendly, critters, etc.?

3. Nakura

Nakura Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I once too had a planet with several cities connected VIA Skyrail.
    Like, the whole planet. Not a small one, a medium one. It took a really really loooong time to connect my cities

But making life appear on the planet. Now that's something worth mentioning
    You are now Messiah

4. LLQPM

LLQPM Void-Bound Voyager

Airborn, didn't see if it was friendly or hostile. Since they didn't attack me, I'm tentatively erring on the side of friendly?

Lol I'm surprised as anyone. I sure wasn't expecting it![DOUBLEPOST=1447708899][/DOUBLEPOST]I HAVE A MIX!!!! both friendly AND HOSTILE!!!! This is so exciting!!!!! :D I AM OFFICIALLY NAMING MY PLANET GENISIS!!! (from star trek, search for spock)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    de0lsu, TrueEdge and Nakura like this.
  5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Sir, thank you for this, your finding just revitalized this game for me.

6. Alessondria

Alessondria Big Damn Hero

I have no words for you. Only...

[​IMG]

7. Apex-prey

Apex-prey Astral Cartographer

wait waaaaaaaaaaaaat!

8. LLQPM

LLQPM Void-Bound Voyager

I dunno if all the planets generate the same, but the planet is located at x -36 y 11 , Gamma Kullat Nunu 567 VII. I will try to post a screen shot, but I think I need to host it to an image host site first.

9. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

After realizing that all "dead" planets "cooked by the sun" actually do have life on them, I always wondered if you could make a lifeless planet like one of the construction ones hospitable.

It would be a cool mechanic to clearly build into the game. Like you need to generate atmosphere and have necessary life components. It would be like large-scale colony building.

LLQPM and Apex-prey like this.
  10. Apex-prey

Apex-prey Astral Cartographer

kinda sad its not

11. Lemony Shtickit

Lemony Shtickit Big Damn Hero

I think it is like that on all barren worlds. I have used admin mode and rocket boots to go up into atmospheres and I am pretty sure that every planet except hot ones had non hostile large airborne life high up there. :cautious: