1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I am lead Starbound developer and head of Chucklefish games AMA

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artigit

Artigit Guest

What has inspired You to create Starbound?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  2. smore566

smore566 Aquatic Astronaut

When, if you are, is starbound going to be released for ps4. I am really looking forward to it cause I have a horrible computer.

3. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

What are your favorite mods?

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The below is just information leading up to my question.

Okay, so I ran into an issue spriting some hairs for my race mod.

Sample of what one hair + head and body looks like:
    [​IMG]

Two hair examples in character creation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the orange? That's the skin colors that should be recolored white.

And when I change "headOptionAsHairColor" from true to false, I get this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This fixes the issue with the bodyColor in the hair, but renders it impossible to change the hair color...

The images in the above spoiler demonstrate my issue - it is not currently possible for Starbound to support three different color arrangements ("bodyColor", "hairColor" and "undyColor") in a hair image. This is a thorn in my side specifically because I want to have hairs affect the ears of my race and also have little decorations like in the third image. This is obviously tied to character creation, which leads me to my question:

Does Chucklefish have any plans to improve character creation? I.e. Adding more control over races and their color schemes by adding more options in a species file or by increasing the total number of selection options? Or even just fixing my issue? D:

5. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

Not sure if it's too late to ask stuff still, but are the capture pod issues going to be addressed before the combat update is released? For example, right now, captured monsters have a hard time keeping up with the player and you can't directly put them back into their pod. They get attacked on sight by otherwise friendly npcs like guards and they don't become aggressive unless the player takes damage first.

Also, will the unused pet slots be implemented before the combat update is released? I assume that the player will only be allowed to have two pets following them at a time because there's only two pet slots in the inventory screen. That would be nice since "crazy cat lady" players can make the game lag with all their captured monsters and because balance reasons.

I've also got a few questions about planet generation. Based on my knowledge, planets right now have a hard limit of two surface biomes. One primary biome (ex: forest) and one secondary (ex: mushroom patch). In the future, will we have planets that contain more than two surface biomes? It would be really cool to see planets with multiple primary biomes like a snow/frozen/arctic planet or even a forest planet with both a spring and mushroom patch mini-biome.

My last question is: Will mini-biomes get their own parallax and will the surface parallax transition to reflect this? I've noticed that the underground parallax fades between different images as you explore. It would be nice to have this feature for surface biomes as well because then we could have planets with radically different biomes, but still have backdrops that make sense for each one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    bk3k likes this.
  6. Hurokun

Hurokun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

as multiple seats will be a think, will be possible to make a weaponized vehicle? or something like a vehicle with some seats that people can use their guns?

this one is more an ideia than a question but anyway: i would love to see hybrid-type weapons (aka: guns+melee weapons), not like a gun with a bayonet on it or something like that but actual guns that can transform in a melee weapon ( ideia came from rooster theet RWBY series btw). an exemple that is probably possible with the new weapon skill system: a melee weapon that wen you use the skill it actualy transforms into a gun for a limited time and shoot than go back to melee.

also, great game guys,keep the awesome work~

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Will the Cell Zapper, Globe Launcher and Shattergun be properly implemented at some point?

8. ltn2150

ltn2150 Void-Bound Voyager

Are you guys still going do add this in before Patch 1.0?
    Will there be any reason to actually do these side quests?
    • for example; mini-quest-events like goblin army + boss in terraria for Story Progression and Grinding better gear?
    Or are they more like the current system where you get random item reward currently

I'd love a reason to actually colonize planets but right now i feel it is kind of pointless

p.s no spoilers pls =D

9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

*still waiting hopefully*
    also do you wear that hat ofen in real

10. smore566

smore566 Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for the response

11. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

Will Earth be accessible ingame?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  12. treenewbee

treenewbee Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Here is a properly formatted image for treenewbee: [​IMG]

Monijir likes this.
  14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ask YOU anything hmm??? lets see... ok!

If I have two bombs, one bounces back at me while I hold a shield, but it detonates right overhead me, sending the other bomb bouncing back right behind me, will the shield absorb both explosions? or will there be one less purrple fox in the universe?

ok now a real question... I remember you saying something about Director Mode, enabling us (or those who would be appointed director privileges) to create stories, stages, dungeons, quests... things like that -On-the-fly- and inviting players on the server to participate on the events that were set in movement by said directors... I know this is a huge ambitious project, but I would love to know if its still a consideration of you guys, its an idea too good to let it dust and rust away.

15. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

Hm. So i got a question about your soundtracks...
    Will the experimental soundtracks be used in the final game? Or are they really just experimental?
    Because they are too awesome to be not used in an awesome game like Starbound :nuruhappy:

16. Saimokdrake

Saimokdrake Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for works it glittering that you make about Starbound, I wanted to ask you if you intended to translate the game into various languages arrived at 1.0?
    If you think about the terraformation, also think in the destruction of a planet (I had believed to hear this chap of information), or even in the attraction initials of rocks to create "bases" of planets (and then begin the terraformation).
    We can fall ill (otherwise than poisoned) further to the cold (which(who) is going to return) and in food, in space of the not prepared,... ?

17. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

ok, I just have to ask these two questions.
    1. Will you guys be adding little foxes to the critters that show up?
    2. >.> will Nuru's hair do be an option for us to use?

18. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

Tried out Starbound some time ago with a friend. While I'm certainly no hardcore follower, still being accustomed with some game aspects, there's one thing that immensely demotivates both of us.

Lack of a map.

The issue has been, as I'm almost sure, raised many times before. But seriously, guys. This is game-breaking :'(
    Every planet, while being awesome, turns into a one-time thing making you drop searching "that particular challenge gate" real quick. When will a map (in any form, I'm not against mapping devices) make it into the stable build?

STCW262 likes this.
  19. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

Will you make captured monsters that follow us interact with us more? I would love to be able to give it food, a place to sleep, just like my actual ship pet. Maybe see a name I can give it too

20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

How often do you check the suggestion subsections and how many pages of said subsections do you check?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.