1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I am lead Starbound developer and head of Chucklefish games AMA

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L3W

L3W Ketchup Robot

It would be awesome to create shields that can reflect elements like ice or fire!

General Nuclear likes this.
  2. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

How big can a planet get? Frackin Universe just added size 16000 planets. Is there an upper limit?

(I'm surprised you haven't flat out bought Frackin' Universe from the modder, given all that it adds to the game...)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  3. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Will there be liquid mechanics added? Pumps, pipes, waterwheels, ect?

4. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

What can you tell us about active blocks?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  5. deliriousbiznasty

deliriousbiznasty Pangalactic Porcupine

What are the best tips you could give to game artists/developers looking to set up their own indie studio?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Hmmm. Okay, let me clarify... what're the odds of expanding old-planet biome variety with new stuff as a post-1.0 patch?

Will we be seeing more large-scale dungeons/villages soonish? Like say a village of Kluex-devout Avians, a "friendly" bunker of Apex revolutionaries? Or perhaps some variations on pre-existing dungeons, like a USCM prison that's still under USCM control (same layout but non-wrecked furniture, prisoners locked away, armed guards, maybe that first outer building is "safe" but once you try and enter the cell blocks they'll shoot you) or already-wrecked versions of the varying existent types? I enjoyed seeing the Agaran-trashed Apex installations...

...which reminds me. What's going on with the Agarans, anyway? They've kinda vanished outside the friendly villages. Is this a main-story-based thing thus the radio silence?

Ainzoal and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. NoobyTurtles

NoobyTurtles Void-Bound Voyager

Why is there such a large gap in time between stable updates? Like really, the day the winter update came out I celebrated so much since it was the only stable update to come out in about a year! Also, what about having a late game ship module that would let you remotely terraform planets so then you don't have to go down and use your Matter Manipulator to flatten everything? My final question is about ship upgrades. Are you going to build on it more and if you do would it be the basic increasing sizes or would it be things like upgrading your ships by taking a different upgrade path? If not then what about upgrades for speed to get to planets faster or fuel efficiency so your ship takes up less fuel? (P.S. I remember reading that you were considering actual ship based space PvP/PvE Space combat, is that still happening?)

McMagnus and Ainzoal like this.
  8. whitepinkbun

whitepinkbun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

HEY THERE! So when I first bought the game I remember a planned feature on steam being ship to ship combat and possibly boarding enemy ships? Any plans on this still or has it been scrapped D:!

Starbounder says this is planned for after 1.0 ... ConfIrmation? On that note is starbounder trusted in information xD

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    FrozenWing and Ainzoal like this.
  9. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Is there still a possibility of releasing the modified tiled to the public, or has it been decided against?

We're definitely going to

10. Oxidis

Oxidis Hey, You!

What is the biggest thing that leads to distraction or wasting time and how do you avoid it?

Do you plan on adding limited-time or procedurally-generated mission instances?

What do you think of this?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  11. shadowpup23

shadowpup23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First of all i love the game! you dev's rock :D

My question is will we see more ways to give armors and vanity items more customization
    like making unique dyes that give off interesting looks?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  12. (0_____0)

(0_____0) Void-Bound Voyager

What you gonna do after adding vehicles ?

13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

@Tiy

I did not mean that Chucklefish would have to sit down and sprite all other races clothing. I just want the ability for modders to do it - I.e. all vanilla races stay the same with the same body shape but modders can make things more unique by making their own body shape and unique sprites for clothing. On CF's side, it's probably going to be some work, yes, to implement it and make sure the system works but I think the effort would be outweighed by the possibilities.

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  14. Unxie

Unxie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello!,

I would like to ask if it's being worked out or not ,a way to dye items ingame? Because starbound is such a great game to be played vanilla but at the moment without the support of some mods I feel it misses colors. The game items need colors :3
    I would also like to ask if in future mounts could be a thing?
    To conclude I seen NPC dancing !!!! will our characters be able to do it too in any nearby future?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day! (Sorry for any english grammar errors!)

15. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Alongside the more unique monsters in the next update, will we see more unique combat moves make it into the random monster generators?
    On average we often just see a variant of bash/charge+random ranged attack so I was wondering.
    I'm starting to like the variety of ranged attack in random monsters especially since some have more unique attacks in that regard, but part of what I'm wondering is if are we also going to see more "physical" types of attack such as a "groundslam jump" that might also create shockwaves on both side of the monsters, focused "powerpunch/slams" that reaches only in front of the monster but could inflict large damage and knockback on the players(basically, think Super Smash Bros Falcon Punch, but for randomized monsters).
    Perhaps with elemental effect variants.
    Those are just example but I was wondering if we might see more coming for them(perhaps with more unique body parts. I recall some of the Random Monster friday monsters and it feels like some of the parts teased there, like the large t-rex head, are missing though it might just be from my lack of searching for them).

On another question, I recall it was mentioned some of the coding for less "tech-drivens" vehicles was recently been made so I was wondering if, to allow vehicles to keep up with tiers, "physical" vehicles might be customizable in the future, not unlike turrets which you can currently equip with various scavenged guns to allow them to shoot different kind of projectiles.
    It certainly would add a very nice feeling of ownership if players could equip vehicles like mechas and their likes(tanks, flying gunboats/minidropships?) with custom weapons and perhaps even plating(basically not unlike a vehicles-only armor to be equipped in a specific slot of a "vehicle loadout" menu? Some might even give a simple palette swap to show the change in plating without requiring an entirely new sprite for them).

Though the main question would be to know, is it something the Starbound engine could support?

16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Would you consider this suggestion for starbound? phobe

17. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I can answer ya already, Tiy does not want or is having any plans to include any modded races.

He said it himself in page 2 I believe.

18. DeNarr

DeNarr Subatomic Cosmonaut

When are the plans to actually create racial abilities? Or even some basic differences between races?

Sylxeria and pipe1220 like this.
  19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

that aint no modded race!(someone made a fanmod for it but it doesnt really have much content)

20. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Its pretty much just a fan made race/thing that while it could be implemented, most likely contradicts/wouldn't fit the general story Starbound has.

Pretty much just a mod-like race addition to the game.Extremely unlikely they would do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.