Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Starbug

Starbug Guest

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/0/613940477966644064/?tscn=1415120687

You might want to edit out the extraneous keyscan numbers from the tutorial, because that is confusing people.

Or you could actually put in a GUI and be done with this whole counter-intuitive and tech-beard tweaking of INI files to get a game to play the way your brain has wired you up to favour a certain control scheme.

Just a suggestion.

To any of the right handed aristocrats who say "get used to it", I say that I (personally) would rather invest that training time into the left hand part of the raindrop prelude, because that is a lot more fun that wresting with this ini file.

2. Parlonsbien

Parlonsbien Orbital Explorer

Hello fellow players !

I, for myself, am french (azerty keybord), left handed (yayh) and playing on a Mac (save it, I've heard it...).

Please help ?

3. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I can try and help u, as going by this thread none of the code monkey designated developers are watching.

First off what build are you on?

4. r0r

r0r Master Chief

Here's to hoping that there might be an option to bind a key to enable teleport to either ship, home planet or planet currently orbited - at some point in the future...

5. Highmastet

Highmastet Phantasmal Quasar

Any way to rebind mouse?

6. Hen

Hen Big Damn Hero

Hi,

after the last update I try to rebind the keys. But everytime I press "Accept" and go to the game, the keys changed again, and noting was like i set up. It's really annoying, even default didn't always help. I only get real reset of the settings after delet the starbound.config.

Edit: I play with a german keyboard and a 64-bit system, if this helps.

7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Delete the current in game binding, then apply a new one. See if that makes a difference.

Adding a new binding in at first adds it as an alternative.

8. Hen

Hen Big Damn Hero

Ok, I think I got it. First I changed the keys step by step, means first arrows and wasd swap, then new keys for interact and then for toolbar, and so on. Everytime I go back in the menu, the keys changed it self. And I only see I after changing the key again.

Starbug likes this.
  9. Scotty1

Scotty1 Void-Bound Voyager

I've also noticed some issues with binding keys, I'm left handed so I like to use the mouse with my left and the arrow keys with my right so I like to rebind keys to the right side of the keyboard.

However after moving all the emotes to the numberpad, and movement to arrows, I bound the interact key to "page down" and techs to "insert" "page up" and "home", but whenever I try to interact with something "page down" doesn't work, but the #4 key on the numberpad does.

Turns out when I unbind all the emotes and just leave the control keys bound, they work fine, so leaving emotes out for now.

10. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I rebound emotes to the old movement keys WASD

11. Hen

Hen Big Damn Hero

I also want to used to numpad. I made it to an alternative for the toolbar. However, after the update it seems to work fine. I play now 64 bit, OpenGL experimental

12. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

It should go without saying, but the tutorial in the first post is way out dated, and should not be relied upon.

I'm going to lock and unsticky this post.

13. Bossy Boots

Bossy Boots Poptop Tamer

Is there a new Tutorial? I'm dying with the buttons atm?

14. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

There's GUI options to set keybindings now.

15. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

May we have a way to change the mouse button bindings, please and thank you? For some reason the middle mouse button performs the same function as E. Middle mouse button is my 'press-to-talk' button in every chat program. It sucks to be ejected from your mech when you only meant to talk to someone.