Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HypnoCircle

HypnoCircle Tentacle Wrangler

Is there a way to configure it so if i hit two keys simultaneously it preforms an action?

For example: LAlt + 1 to switch to an item at the far end of my hotbar?
    I hate taking my hand off WASD.

Gene likes this.
  2. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

I support the request to add combos, like Shift+1 to equip Tech 1.

And I'd like to request ability to bind game zoom level. Especially if can be combined with the combo, I'd bind Zoom In to Shift+MouseWheelUp and Zoom Out to Shift+MouseWheelDown. This will allow me to tactically change game zoom based on situation I'm in (zoom out when scouting, zoom in when fighting up close, etc) without having to disrupt the game and go to settings each time. If key combos are too hard, then I'd at least bind zoom to + and - keys on my KB, though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. sklazinga

sklazinga Space Penguin Leader

There might be a solution for my buddies and I problem we have with vent. We like to use the Tilde (~, left of the 1) key as our push to talk key, the problem with this is that for some reason pushing that key unequips whatever the character has equipped, so talking while in the middle of mining or fighting causes the mining or the fighting to be interrupted. Does anyone know how we can change this so that pressing the tilde key no longer interrupts things?

4. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Check the entry for "Backtick" which is what you're actually pressing (not tilde, which is shift+backtick)

5. Dejavuproned

Dejavuproned Space Spelunker

I have to third the warp key binding request.. we have key bindings for all other interface actions including emotes but we don't have a binding to quickly bail to our ship :(

6. sklazinga

I don't see "Backtick" listed anywhere in the code you posted in the post... Could you offer a little more guidance?

7. Kailen4

Kailen4 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you. Thank you so very, very much. I look forward to finally being able to give beta a fair shake without trying to hit key combinations that I just can't reach.

8. HypnoCircle

HypnoCircle Tentacle Wrangler

Uh... for the record, i wasn't really "requesting" this. :rofl: ... I just wanted to know if it was possible to add it to the config as it is now. It's really no big deal either way, just thought it would be a nice way to handle all the emotes and a few other things.

9. OmnipotentEntity

My apologizes, I meant "Backquote"

10. sklazinga

So if I remove the text from within the quotation marks after backquote my problems should end? Do I leave the quotation marks? Do I put anything else in there as a placeholder?

I cannot find a file that looks anything like what you are showing, what I find when I open the file you direct to is only about a page long and starts with "admin control: True" and bind "*" and such.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. OmnipotentEntity

Move the file somewhere else and let the program autoregenerate it. Then towards the bottom it should contain the keybinding stuff.

If you simply want to unset the entry just remove the entire line.

12. sklazinga

Worked! Thanks a lot!

13. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

Tip

If you're having issues with the config not having the keybindings

1) Start Starbound
    2) Go to Options
    3) Tweak anything (raise/lower volume/music or anything)
    4) Accept

Your config will be updated with teh latest information and keybinding stuff

14. doubtful

doubtful Void-Bound Voyager

Also, having the config file alphabetize the control entries by key pressed rather than by function performed is kind of...odd. Especially since, even if you change the formatting, it just regenerates the config file to re-order the binds. :rofl:

It won't matter once we get a gui interface, but I thought that was kind of peculiar, haha.

Thanks so much for pushing this change through guys, works great! Good work. :)

15. Tasia

Tasia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is it possible to put comment lines in the config file? I don't like changing things without putting a line in that states the default setting. It is just a "persnickity" of mine, I guess. :)

16. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

hope there will be normal ingame menu with this feature when release

17. Ryudo Kaze

Ryudo Kaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

That is what I call a first step. I'll be taking a big look today after work. < 3

18. KoldWing

KoldWing Tentacle Wrangler

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. NOW, I CAN! Start Playing This Great Game.

19. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

If you edit the file incoreclty the logs idicate a JSON error.

JSON doesn't allow for comments

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/244777/can-i-comment-a-json-file

That assumes I'm interpeting the error as the fact that it reads teh config file that way

Tasia likes this.
  20. Tasia

Tasia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you for replying. I tried it out just to see, using a standard comment that works in some things, it just deleted the lines.