1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How would planets scroll?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Drammoth, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drammoth

Drammoth Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey, I was wondering about how small / big, or basically any planet would roll if they were really round, or is it like in Terraria? Woudn't make sence much if it's a planet but, well, yeah.

Discuss!

2. Kumagoro

Kumagoro Void-Bound Voyager

They implemented/planned/thought of/whatever having the worlds wrap around themselves. Kinda like in the original Mario Bros - if you go through the right side of the screen, you appear on the left side.

Alternatively they can be infinite, too. Though maybe that's a bit excessive.

I wonder if we'll have different underground "layers" (and generally how deep it will be), like cave, cavern, hell in Terraria. Would make undergrounds more interesting.

3. Drammoth

I think that would depend on the size of the planet, like the world size in Terraria.

4. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i wonder how they are going to handle a "round" world that also goes down. it wouldn't make much sense if you could mine down to the core of a world (hell in Terraria as mentioned above) and have it be the same size as the above ground world.

Also if they do round worlds could you "dig to china" (dig down till you came out the other side.) i think the best bet would to be to not let you go down that far but it is still an idea (EDIT: plus you then have to code in how gravity works if you try to fall though the core)

but as to the original topic here, i have to agree with kumagoro, wrapping around seem like the best answer (at least for the top level)

5. Drammoth

I would personally prefer my planet as a O instead of a _ lol.

M C, TheEnderman and Madmarlon like this.
  6. nic329

me too. i just have questions on how it will be done.

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Void-Bound Voyager

I think if they made it feel like terraria but that it just looped it would be fine, because I don't want to have a super small underground/core. It's game play over realism remember. But we will just have to see the decision they make, I can't see Tiy making a design decision for his game that isn't fun and supportive to the overall experience.

8. MegaMan

MegaMan Phantasmal Quasar

I imagine it'll be like to Terraria, but the walking to the end brings you back to the start. Walking on a circle would mean you end up upside-down at some point and it would just be awkward.

9. nic329

I can see Both side here. a "flat" world that went around and looped on itself and had the same size on all layers (thinking of it like walking around and digging down the outside of a cylinder) would be easy to code and you don't have to about layers being small.

on the other hand a "round" world, with different sized layers would add a natural limit on super rare metals, (if those get added in) if you can only find "super metal" in the core of a planet and the core is only so big then "super metal" becomes much more rare and has a real reason to be sought after, as you go form planet to planet drilling into core.

But as Supersoinc said we will have to wait and see what decision they make. i think both ways sound fun.

10. Drammoth

I'd like it to scroll from side to side like the planetoids mod in Terraria, and when you walk the screen slowly slides with the gravity to the core and the map. If you would be at the core spot it would be like spamming up and down with the Terraria gravity potion. I'm referring to Terraria alot because it's the closest I can get to this game. : p

11. Supersonic

Yeah I would agree that it would be a interesting way to limit the ore in a way that won't make you hunt around for hours in a ton of dirt. But i'm indifferent on what would be more fun, I'll be interested to see what they choose, and how it will be implemented.

12. MegaMan

MegaMan Phantasmal Quasar

The screenshots pretty much show that isn't the case.

13. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

I think its pretty much gonna be a big map with both ends linking to eachother, think of a terraria world, and the oceans on each side lead to eachother.
    ~Jake

14. Supersonic

I'd bet it is more than likely the case, and it is really fine like that

15. Kashis

Kashis Title Not Found

Check out gameplay of Odin Sphere. Pretty much the same concept.

16. nic329

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.