1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How will enemy mobs be spawned?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spike, Apr 5, 2012.

?

How do you think monsters will be spawned?

1. Spawn at the edge of screen like terraria!

33.3%
  2. Spawn in dark places.

16.7%
  3. Spawned using preset spawners that are made during world generation!

10.6%
  4. A specific amount of mobs are generated during world generaion, and will die out if wiped out.

27.3%
  5. A combination of some or all of the ideas!

40.9%
  6. None of the above! I'll tell you where baby monsters come from!

10.6%
  7. A gigantic alien stork brings them in.

19.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Supernova

well, if a game contains enemy mobs, there must be a way for enemy mobs to be spawned (most of the time. There might be exceptions). So how, my internet chums, do you think they will be spawned in Starbound? Will they spawn at the edge of the screen regardless of light level? Will they spawn in dark places? Will they appear via spawners? Or perhaps each planet will have a reset amount of monsters that breed and multiply, which means a planet can be devoid of enemy mobs when all of them are eliminated? Or perhaps, enemies will spawn with a combination of some or all of the above?

Pick your choice, or suggest a new one in the comment section below!

2. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I'm not sure how I'd want them to spawn. I just hope they aren't able to just die out if you kill them all. If mobs are really as different and such as they say, then you could have killed some mob that was perfect for DNA, research, item, or pet, and you wont be able to get it again.

3. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

I loved the terrarian spawning code cuz it worked nearly perfect. I even was lucky without mob spawners. My only wish is a solid spawnig code!

4. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

Definitely a combination of most of those ideas.

5. SoldierMorty

SoldierMorty Big Damn Hero

Yeah, combination. What I REALLY despised in Terraria was that, if I made a house too tall for me that enemies would start grouping up or even spawning INSIDE the structure. Thankfully walls will be easier to place in Starbound, but I'd like to see a different possibility for enemies to spawn.

6. Bakazi

Bakazi Aquatic Astronaut

I like the idea of them all spawning in preset numbers, and then through breeding, getting killed, etc., their numbers would change.

7. Spike

Spike Supernova

Agreed. This way, we can mold the planet to our whim, which means, we can import and export species into and out of a planet, thereby controlling a planet's ecosystem.

8. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

I really like the idea of a limited number of creatures. Makes you feel like you could save em' or kill them off.

9. darkninjx

darkninjx Big Damn Hero

Limited amount of creatures increasing their numbers through breeding and you can control what creatures are on what planet :) That would be awesome probobaly too good to be true :(

10. Vaughn

Vaughn Void-Bound Voyager

I like the limited supply. It would be cool to work in some breeding and maybe cross breeding so we can start farms and even sell pets or other creatures for pixels.

11. CrashJac

CrashJac Orbital Explorer

Spawn in dark places? What about things like the bad moon, that can't go into caves and underground... No, just no.

12. Noble

Noble Subatomic Cosmonaut

Limited supply of aliens with the possibility of indigenous/imported alien recreation, it'd be lovely to be able to control the ecosystem if one so desired.

13. Tiny Master of Music

Tiny Master of Music Existential Complex

These are all good ideas.
    A specific amount of mobs on a planet would allow you to "Cleanse" a world from an infestation, but you won't get the drops the monsters have in the future.

14. Spike

Spike Supernova

I'm actually thinking about having monsters automatically breed and reproduce; that way, you cannot "spam" kill a specific kind of monster by standing in a corner of the world, or by building elaborate mob traps, therefore, have an infinite amound of good that you can get slowly.

Spybuster and Cirno the Nine like this.
  15. Spybuster

Spybuster Void-Bound Voyager

I do like the idea of creatures and mobs being able to become endangered. This could open up new side quest options such as to stop poaching of a creature or to wipe out a creature. The fact that they can reproduce means if a mob becomes endangered it could slowly come back and grow in numbers. I agree to this idea of reproduction and it would certainly make the game interesting.

Cirno the Nine likes this.
  16. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

I chose none of the above. This is where monsters come from: When mommy monster and daddy monster love each other very much, they turn into energy and put each other together and then some more energy comes out and that is baby monster. Actually it should be a combination of methods for spawning.

17. Spike

Spike Supernova

That's actually option 4. I didn't have space to mention that monsters will automatically breed so they can repopulate in case you messed up.

18. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

But what I wrote pretty much says how that happens lol.

19. Spike

Spike Supernova

Cool.

20. SaneOsiris

SaneOsiris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Terraria spawning was great! Exept when I dug straight down they would always fall on me and I would be stuck in a 2x2 hole with them and eat lotsa damage! :p Then I had demon wings, and all problems were solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.